Towing a 2009 Honda CR-V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twadleigh

So, I recently traded my 2009 RAV4 for a 2009 C-RV so I have a vehicle to flat tow behind my class C.  I was planning on getting the blue ox base plate and towbar package.  Doing the research, I realize I also need other supplemental equipment and a brake system.  Blue ox quoted me about 3k for the equipment.  That?s not even counting the cost of installation if I cannot do it myself.  Anyone out there have any other recommendations.  Thanks.

4-down towing is convenient but not cheap!  The light hook-up and brake system cost the same regardless of the brand of tow bar, so Roadmaster or Demco will be no different tha Blue Ox.  The Ready Brute Elite combined tow bar and surge brake works out cheaper for the equipment, but the install varies from medium to hard.

http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

Thanks Gary. Good information.  I want to make a decision soon but it gets more confusing the more I read.

If you are getting confused, ask more questions!  I am not the expert on 4 down, but this Forum WILL have folks here willing to help.
Remember, it is not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

grashley said:
If you are getting confused, ask more questions!  I am not the expert on 4 down, but this Forum WILL have folks here willing to help.
Remember, it is not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

But it will quickly become a dumb question if you don't ask. ;D ;D

But really ask questions....That's what this site is all about.

You can buy the tow bar yourself online for a better price - there is no "installation" for that.  The base plates (the car end of the hook-up) requires a lot of install, so maybe let the hitch shop provide that. It has to be compatible with the tow bar brand, though.

Each type & brand of brake units has its adherents, but they all work adequately.  The base choices come down to portable vs fixed installation. You have a gas chassis coach, so the air-driven types of brake system do not apply.  You need either a surge type on one with an inertial controller built in. The SMI Stay-and-Play Du is a popular permanent install inertial type, while Brake Buddy and RVI are popular portable inertial types.  Or the Ready Brute for a surge type system.

Installing the tow plate in the car is not that difficult.  The most daunting part is literally ?peeling? the front of your Honda off.  I?ve done a few of them.  If you have driving lights you have to do the same thing to change the bulb.

I installed a separate wiring harness for the lights.  There was plenty of room to add a bulb in each brake light and it was easy to find a route for the wires.

Aux braking?  If I have to do it again I?ll use a portable system but I have to admit the Invisibrake is convenient, and expensive.

Thanks for the help.  I?m kind of leaning toward the blue ox base plate (although you have to do some cutting off the C-RV metal bumper) and the blue ox Alpha towbar.  Then I?m down to the SMI, invisibrake, or brake buddy.  8Muddypaws you said you installed baseplates was it blue ox or something different?  Thanks all.

I installed RoadMasters.  They require removing the metal/foam filled bumper completely and replacing it with the tow plate.  The tow plate itself is much sturdier than the old bumper.  Cutting of the plastic was minimal.

Okay all, I think I made a decision but still hesitant on the brake system.  Blue ox base plate and Alpha tow bar with RVi brake 3.  It appears the RVi brake system is easy to set up and the best portable braking system by many reviewers.  Any thoughts on this setup?  I know that the baseplate install is going to be difficult due to cutting the bumper on the C-RV.

Back
Top Bottom