Need road advice, Salt Lake City to Alburquerque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterH

Hi,

Tomorrow, Thursday April 11, 2019 I plan to start a drive to Athens, Texas to spend a week at the Big Red School House learning about maintaining my RV.

I am leaving from Sandpoint, Idaho (way up in the panhandle) and I WAS planning to take a familiar route through Denver and to Dallas.

PROBLEM: Winter Storm Wesley!

The forcast is for blizzard conditions along most my route through Wyoming and Colorado... so I'm now changing my plans to go through Salt Lake City and south into New Mexico before turning east towards Dallas.

Map Quest wants to send me through Moab, Utah and across what looks like questionable roads. I've always wanted to do more than drive by Moab but I can't afford to stop because I want to be in Athens, Texas for class starting Monday morning.

Anyone have any advice or experience with that part of Utah between Salt Lake City and Alburquerque? Want to know what type of roads to expect.

I'm using my Ram 2500 to haul my 28 foot bunkhouse travel trailer.

Thanks,
Pete

Just looked at Google Maps....Going to be interesting. That's a long trip for sure.

Are you carrying chains?

Keep us posted and good luck.

I live in Cedar City.. The route you have chosen is the worst place at the worst time.. Right now a winter warning is in affect thru the weekend, and the interstate will be the only sure way to travel. Any diagonal route will be high terrain and mountain passes,,sure to have snow. I15 down to Las Vegas then 93 to Kingman to I40 then on to Albuquerque will still have you at 7000ft., but should be kept clear because of the truck traffic.  The first lesson for RV travel is to stay out of trouble,,,BY STAYING OUT OF TROUBLE.>>>Dan

The route through SLC, then Price, UT, Moab, UT, ABQ, NM would be the route I would recommend.  HOWEVER between SLC and Price, UT, you have a pass to go over and snow is predicted for Friday/Saturday.  That is NOT a route I would take this weekend.

If you are willing to take your chances and take the trip, knowing the possibility you may just have to stop in lower elevations and perhaps just cancel along the way I would suggest the route below.  It really depends on if you want to take your chances and how important it is to make your meeting. 

I-15 to SLC and farther south to pick up US-50 to Salina, UT then I-70 to just past Green River and then though Moab to Cortez, CO, to Farmington, NM then US-550 to ABQ, NM, I-40 to Amarillo, US-287 to DFW. 

You have a high point south of Moab at Monticello, UT at around 6800'.  HOWEVER NOAA is showing only a 20% chance of snow on Friday.  https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-109.33937072753908&lat=37.87376937332856#.XK84LOg3l5s

In the link above ignore the fact it is showing "current conditions" at Abajo Peak at 11,000'.  Just look at the forecast for Monticello. 

Also south of Farmington on US-550 you go back up to over 6000' for a while.  Again NOAA is only showing a 20%-30% chance of rain/snow.  https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-107.96195983886717&lat=36.535019209789#.XK85g-g3l5s

In both the above locations the highs are supposed to be in the low 40's and 50's, so melting conditions may be good.

There is another high point about 50-80 miles east of ABQ at Clines Corners at about 7000'. 

The route that Dan posted is the one I would recommend in snow. It is significantly longer, but should have better weather. The one AStravelers recommended is the one I would normally recommend. As both of them say, take a good close look at the weather and be prepared to hunker down if needed.

One advantage to I15 is the numerous rest areas along the way,,easy places to hunker down if necessary. the general idea under these conditions is to get as far south as soon as possible.  Right now it looks like the worst will be around Salt Lake and getting better going south.>>>Dan  ( Remember there is major construction at the Virgin river gorge north of Mesquite)

Don't get sucked into going 80 MPH on trailer tires rated at 65.>>>

Hello everyone and thanks for your input to my original question.

I am finally in Athens Texas after a VERY long drive. Started Thursday at 1400 and pulled in here Sunday at 0200. The route south through SLC and across the pass to Moab worked out just fine. I did encounter a few snow showers at the higher elevation but nothing on the road at all. Lots of traffic on that route for sure. Didn't know that driving in Salt Lake City is a competitive sport... but I survived. I took the Rt 6 pass across the mountains towards Moab.

The most painful part of that leg was NOT being able to stop in Moab!  :)

This is the first time I've parked overnight in a rest area. Did it twice this trip and it all worked out perfectly fine. But I did learn that my batteries are crap and need to be replaced with Lithium. Thursday night I stopped in a nicely lit rest area north of Dillon Montana, alone I-15. It was below freezing so I had to run the furnace to keep the pipes from freezing. I didn't expect to encounter freezing temps but should have. It worked out.

The next night I stopped at another rest area along I-40 just east of Albuquerque, at mile marker 127 (I think). That also worked out just fine even tho it was packed with RVs and Trucks doing the same thing.

I was expecting to arrive in Athens at 1800 on Saturday, giving me all day Sunday to rest up for class. However, there was a nasty storm in the area of North Texas and 10 miles west of Wichita Falls I was forced to pull over. I found an empty parking lot along 287 and turned the rig into the wind. The winds were 25 to 35 with gusts to 59 and blowing at exactly perpendicular to my route! I learned those wind speeds after pulling over and turning on the weather radio in the camper. I nearly had to change underwear due to the winds... saw a Target tracker-trailer nearly loose it from a gust of wind, not 500 feet in front of me as he sped past at 70... I was doing 45 with my flashers on.  I sat in that parking lot for 5 hours waiting for the winds to die down. Good thing I did cause that is when I found that the wind driven rain was forceing water up and into the 3 aluminum window tracks (through the built-in weep holes) along the driver's side of the camper. This was filling the window frame and forcing it to overflow into the camper. While I waited, I exposed all of the water in the carpet and soaked it up with paper towels. After leaving the camper all opened up today (Sunday) everything has dried nicely so I don't think I did any permanent damage.

Hoping to go home via Denver and through Wyoming like I'm used to doing.

Took me 37.75 hours behind the steering wheel to drive from Northern Idaho to Athens Texas. Expect to do better on the way home.

Oh, and I learned that you just can't trust the Garmin to take you the way you want. But it did get me here... missed an exit to I-35S in the Dallas highway system... the part where it is turning in circles south of downtown... glad it was mid-night so no one in that tight and run down neighborhood was out to see me and wonder what in the world that fool is doing pulling a camper through here, at midnight! Yeah, it was a joy and made me glad my wife wasn't along on the trip! :) Advice: avoid downtown Dallas highways on a Saturday night, the traffic was nuts! Especially when I came around a bend in the highway, where there was already construction, and had to throughout the anchor to slow down and avoid the 10 fire trucks and police cars with all their blinding lights taking up the entire right-lane!!! There was no warning before I came around the bend, and I'm guessing because they were responding to some emergency... but all I saw was one lone car and a police officer talking to one civilian. Thought I caught it all on my traffic cam... this morning is when I remembered that you must first push the record button... :-(

Wish there was a practical way to program the exact route you want and then just have the Garmin execute the plan. If I am missing something that would let me do that, please let me know! I never would have let it take me through Dallas... used to live there, I knew it could be a problem... and it was!

Thanks again!
Pete

Yes SLC is horrible to drive through. Too many crazy people in that state. I 'lived' there for four years.
Next time you go through there take the 215 bypass. It will save you a lot of time and it has much lighter traffic.

Wish there was a practical way to program the exact route you want and then just have the Garmin execute the plan.

Find a point on the alternate road you want to take, zoom in close so you can see road dividers, set the pointer on the correct side of the road and add a via point to your route.  Sometimes it takes experimenting to see how to do it, but it does work.  On the newer Garmins you can move the via points up and down to rearrange your routing.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom