GPS recommendations (Garmin?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I found a discussion that was started over a year ago.  Maybe nothing has changed since then, but we would like up to date info plus more info.

We're looking for GPS recommendations.  (It seems like Garmin leads the pack.)  We're headed out with our 35' 5th wheel and a full size one ton diesel for a two to three month trip.

First:  Which GPS system would you recommend?
Second:  Which model?
Third:  What accessories would you recommend.

Thank you!

As I've indicated elsewhere on this forum, I'm extremely pleased with my Garmin RV-770. It's easy to use, has many RV-related features (a lot more so than my dezl-560 did), large display, etc. Nice unit.

I haven't tried it yet, but today I read about a company called Low Clearances. It seems like it's an add-on to many of the mainstream GPS systems. Apparently it's a database of all the low clearances that one can come across when driving.  I've had two experiences so far when this added data would have been extremely helpful.  Once I had to have the truck with camper mounted on it still towed on a flat bed.  Another time I came across a covered bridge in PA and we had to get out to assess the feasibility of entering it.    I'm definitively going to be signing up for it before I head out this spring! You might want to look into it before choosing a GPS system.

http://www.lowclearances.com/

Larry N. said:
As I've indicated elsewhere on this forum, I'm extremely pleased with my Garmin RV-770. It's easy to use, has many RV-related features (a lot more so than my dezl-560 did), large display, etc. Nice unit.

Larry, did you buy any accessories for your Garmin RV-770?

Just the "bag" mount (Deluxe Portable Friction Mount, part #010-10908-02). Otherwise it's just as it comes out of the box. There are, of course, other mounting options, but the "bag" has done well for me.

Same as Larry - Garmin 770 and a bag mount. Just remember that all GPS units rely on base data provided by government organizations, and sometimes that is wrong, in the years we?ve had the Garmin, I can think of a couple of times we said ?Huh?? and took a different route. Then again, I can think of dozens of times we said ?Huh?? and discovered Garmin had a real good reason for routing is the way it did.

We use a Garmin Dezl-770.  Very happy with it.  I would go with the RV-770 now.  I think the WiFi would be an advantage. 
I also use the Garmin's BaseCamp for route planning, loading the custom routes on the 770.
I use a suctioncup mount in the RV, also have bag mount. 

Nice to see this thread....Thank you.  I too am looking for a GPS to replace my old Garmin, which died an untimely death in Quartzsite in January.  Since I'm doing the RV thing now (which wasn't the case 20 years or so ago)...the RV oriented features have some appeal...but a few questions about the other capabilities of the 770 (or 780 that I now see on Garmin's website).

I have a ton of waypoints and saved tracks that I've kept using the "track and waypoint" manager feature of the MAPSOURCE software that was used on these older units.  I would hate to lose these, or have to input the waypoint coordinates manually.  Can I upload these into the 770?

I have also used my old unit as a handheld...keeping the track log on while I'm hiking or driving off-road so I can find my way back.  Is this unit dedicated to highway use, or can it be used as a handheld/off road unit also?

Lastly, it is capable of uploading some of the other alternative maps Garmin has...such as the USGS TOPO maps?

I really appreciate any insight to this.

Happy travels!

Dan

I too would lean towards Garmin strongly, I have the Dezl 770, which I am overall happy with, though I bought it at a highly discounted price, if I were to buy right now it would probably be the RV 770.  Having said that if you are not in a rush I might suggest waiting a few months.  Historically it seems the Garmin RV units lag 8-9 months behind the introduction of the comparable Dezl commercial truck units, and the Dezl 780 was introduced about 10-11 months ago, so a new RV unit may be coming soon if past trends are anything to go on.

p.s. correction it looks like the RV 780 was introduced yesterday

ferfer said:
I have a ton of waypoints and saved tracks that I've kept using the "track and waypoint" manager feature of the MAPSOURCE software that was used on these older units.  I would hate to lose these, or have to input the waypoint coordinates manually.  Can I upload these into the 770?
Dan
If you can save your data to a .gpx file format, then the new units will read it.  Pretty sure Mapsource will do that.

As far as using a 770 or 780 as a handheld - the battery life is pretty short in that repect.

A no cost solution if you already have a tablet (I have a Samsung Tab2), is using it as a navigation device. I set my route using Google Maps on my PC, then send the route link to my tablet. When I open the map on my tablet, I get the option to download the map route to the tablet so I can use it offline for GPS navigation.

The screen is way larger than any GPS unit - 10-inches, and I have it mounted in a cup holder mount in the truck. The screen is so large I don't even need to use glasses to read it with my old eyes. The Google maps are far superior to any GPS unit I have ever purchased, and I currently have Garmin, Magellan, and Rand McNally units in addition to the GPS built into the truck, all of which have map errors. Don't get me wrong, Google also has it's faults, but I have never encountered any mapping system that is without error.

I've used it several times on trips over the past year, and now wish I had not wasted the $ on my latest Rand McNally Overdryve 7 RV unit. Just for fun, I currently use the truck GPS, the Rand McNally unit, plus the tablet for navigation, and without exception, the Google maps on the tablet has been the most accurate.

Thank you for all your information and help.  We're going forward with the new Garmin RV 780.  It was extremely helpful to know that the new Garmins can read the old waypoints file.  I did confirm that the old software can write the .gpx file.

Thank you again.
Dan

pz said:
A no cost solution if you already have a tablet (I have a Samsung Tab2), is using it as a navigation device. I set my route using Google Maps on my PC, then send the route link to my tablet. When I open the map on my tablet, I get the option to download the map route to the tablet so I can use it offline for GPS navigation.

The screen is way larger than any GPS unit - 10-inches, and I have it mounted in a cup holder mount in the truck. The screen is so large I don't even need to use glasses to read it with my old eyes. The Google maps are far superior to any GPS unit I have ever purchased, and I currently have Garmin, Magellan, and Rand McNally units in addition to the GPS built into the truck, all of which have map errors. Don't get me wrong, Google also has it's faults, but I have never encountered any mapping system that is without error.

I've used it several times on trips over the past year, and now wish I had not wasted the $ on my latest Rand McNally Overdryve 7 RV unit. Just for fun, I currently use the truck GPS, the Rand McNally unit, plus the tablet for navigation, and without exception, the Google maps on the tablet has been the most accurate.

Interesting.  Yes we have a tablet.  Does anyone else have input on this option?

Using a phone/tablet (android/apple) device is doable.  Not the same, or as dependable (in my opinion) as a dedicated GPS unit.  I use my Android phone with google maps alongside my Garmin almost all the time.  The tablet/phone device still depends a lot on cellualr signal for location services; the GPS device does not.
I like Google's way of routing based on current information about traffic, accidents, etc. but you need to know where it's sending you when driving a big rig.

I recently used google on the laptop to fine tune my last drive.  I found a better route for towing and made the dragging changes.....then when i sent it to my phone (hooked up to big screen in truck) it changed it back to its route, not my changes......maybe i did something wrong?????

jims94vmx said:
I recently used google on the laptop to fine tune my last drive.  I found a better route for towing and made the dragging changes.....then when i sent it to my phone (hooked up to big screen in truck) it changed it back to its route, not my changes......maybe i did something wrong?????
A real issue/problem for sure.  Here is a recent article on this issue and possible solution(s).  I have just started using Google MyMaps recently, so can not really say it is good or bad.
Link to the article:  https://www.lifewire.com/make-custom-route-on-google-maps-4126536

MN Blue Skies said:
Interesting.  Yes we have a tablet.  Does anyone else have input on this option?

We use "Offline maps and Navigation" (free in the Play store) on our Android tablets. While in Internet range, you download current state maps for where you are or are going. After that, you don't need an Internet connection.

Waze works well, too, on a cell phone when in service range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom