5ver kayak transport advice needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

Hey I've got a 15.5 foot sit on top fishing yak and am stumped on how to transport the yak and the 5ver at the same time. I've looked into roof racks and a front hitch t bar combo but it's really expensive. I've seen yaks strapped to the back of 5vers before but not since I bought mine so never paid any mind to them. Is anyone on here doing this? ZIf so could you share some info, advice pics please?

Thanks

There's no way you're going to hang that thing off the back. You'd be 17 feet tall.

The two options are on top of the fifth wheel, or overhanging the front of the truck.

I used to carry a bunch of sailboards on top of mine.  I made roof racks out of galvanized pipe and mounting them using simple pipe stanchions.  Since then I?ve seen a much better way.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bathroom-Handicap-Grab-Bar/dp/B079L6LY1V/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3MN41D2M1HCZ1&keywords=bathroom+safety+bars&qid=1555169474&s=gateway&sprefix=Bathroom+saftey%2Caps%2C426&sr=8-5

They come in a wide variety of lengths.  Try to find two places that have wood or aluminum underneath the plywood of your roof.  Be sure to seal the screws with the right self leveling caulk too.

HappyWanderer said:
There's no way you're going to hang that thing off the back. You'd be 17 feet tall.

The two options are on top of the fifth wheel, or overhanging the front of the truck.

The 5ver is 13'4" tall now. yak is 12'6". I'm thinking if I can buy, make, modify a vertical rack to carry it at an angle it"ll work out okay. Then again maybe it won't. Have to pull a tape measure on it.

samthetramp said:
The 5ver is 13'4" tall now. yak is 12'6". I'm thinking if I can buy, make, modify a vertical rack to carry it at an angle it"ll work out okay. Then again maybe it won't. Have to pull a tape measure on it.

That might work.  If you have a ladder, one end might even tuck between that and 5th.

Why not get an inflatable kayak?

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-68309EP-Excursion-Pro-Kayak/dp/B07F88P35C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=57HCSU942JL&keywords=inflatable+kayak&qid=1555183316&s=gateway&sprefix=inflatable+k%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5

Yeah, nah. Don't see me being able to mount my fish finder easily on one. Then there's the whole sharp pointy thinks in a blow up boat.

SeilerBird said:
Why not get an inflatable kayak?

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-68309EP-Excursion-Pro-Kayak/dp/B07F88P35C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=57HCSU942JL&keywords=inflatable+kayak&qid=1555183316&s=gateway&sprefix=inflatable+k%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-5

Because nobody has yet to make an inflatable kayak with even remotely hydrodynamic lines. I suspect that it may not be possible.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
I bought the "T" bar. It is a Thule Goalpost, but Yakima and several other roof rack manufacturers make something similar.

Joel

I looked at the Rhino Rack one that hinges for load assist last year looked at the Yakima one this year. Both have been discontinued.

If you think a roof rack and T-Bar front hitch set-up is expensive, don't even look at the kayak racks for the back of the fifth wheel, they are really salty.  In your case because of the length of your kayak it will not work anyway as the tip would extend well above your air conditioner.  The other problem with those racks is, they would be fine if you are camped right on the body of water, but if you have to drive to the water it becomes problematic.

Gizmo I looked at the cost of the back of the RV racks and DAYUM they're proud of em. Need to get roof racks for when we go places without the camper but the bed is loaded anyway. I plan on removing the 5th wheel hitch after the camper is set up because I use it for work so it stays set up for months at a time usually. I can put the yak in the bed for transport then.

I'm going to look at the price of making my own RV rack vs the costs of the roof/T bar set up and see what's gonna be better on me. At least I could build the rear rack so the yak would rest on an angle and solve the clearance issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom