rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Afraid of sleeping out in random parking places after reading this  (Read 1437 times)

nakamuru

• ---
So I been doing lot of researching on rvs and came to a conclusion I wanna get a truck and camper to put on. I been just trying to get used to this lifestyle and slept around places and actually got great sleep in my regular volvo I have . Living in Seattle I had thought it was one of the safer places as homicides are lower then other major cities. However news spread that more homeless people are being killed and sometimes it's just random killings. One in particular , a man who was 79 living in his van got shot to death. After reading about this I just realize Seattle isnt as safe as I thought and second guessing this and just getting a condo in gated community is better. Anyone in Seattle boondocking and see this as concern as well? Link I read was

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/king-county-homicides-in-2018-troubling-trends-in-homeless-cases-random-killings/

nakamuru

• ---
Re: Afraid of sleeping out in random parking places after reading this
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:15:34 AM »
Homeless people in Seattle like have no fear.  They do whatever they want and I remember one guy just knocking on my door in my car when I was taking a nap. Or one time It was summer day and resting in the car with window down and hear rattling sound and guy tried taking my bag with all my work in it. I yelled and he let go. Homelessness is a problem in Seattle. My concern is that if people being provoked etc in can see why things occur. But article see.s to indicate some are just random. Kind of like the scare back in 70s or 80s where NYC had random mugging that brought lot of fear to public.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »
Are you talking about living in the vehicle on the city streets?  In most places that is illegal anyway.

No place is 100% safe (including that condo), but campsites rank among the safest.  City streets late at night, not so much!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
As Gary said, living in your vehicle on city streets is illegal in most areas. Even if not officially illegal, it is usually highly regulated, like not parking on streets during certain nighttime hours. If you plan on living in your camper, better find a campground, especially in a city like Seattle.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

donn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 08:53:08 AM »
Thats just plane creepy.  Why other than being really cheap would you want to do that?  I understand Seattle like other large cities has priced the housing market out of existence for the average Joe, but really?  Maybe its time to move out of that mess knows as Sea-Tac and learn to embrace small town life.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
Yes, crime does happen and none of us are immune to it. However, we can't live in a prison of our own making based on fear. If you want to go camping and enjoy the great outdoors go for it but as always be aware of your surroundings. If the locale looks sketchy move on. If however you are looking at living out of your vehicle on city streets that is illegal and dangerous.

nakamuru

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
Thats just plane creepy.  Why other than being really cheap would you want to do that?  I understand Seattle like other large cities has priced the housing market out of existence for the average Joe, but really?  Maybe its time to move out of that mess knows as Sea-Tac and learn to embrace small town life.

Well Seattle has lot of people living on streets and living in their cars so not that creepy. Guess it's bit of a cultural thing where outsiders who aren't used to it will consider it creepy. But if your windows are tinted and unseen look like it's part of the crowd then I say it's cool ninja stealth not creepy. 

Also Seattle has a law where parking and sleeping in your car is permitted but not more then 72 hours. Just have to see signs with towing etc.

I do occasionally go to campsites or hotels but mostly saving up for a condo. Condo in Seattle that is little more then descent is quite high and downpayment in itself i'm saving up is around 80-100k. Hopefully I rent that out and continue boondock as its fun .

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »
We are infested with politicians.. Now in one respect they are like insects (Some are good, some not) Some are interested in helping the homeless.. Some .. Well they have a different plan.

Sadly the latter lie. they claim all the problems are caused by Immigrants. Homeless. People of a different religion or some other blather.. When in fact THEY are the cause of most of the problems.

And this thread is the result.. People look at the homeless and instantly think CRIMINAL..  Only the homeless person is 100% not a criminal..  Heck he might even be a retired member of the law enforcement community (Officer or civilian) .

Sadly The Violence against others folks are gaining ground just now.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »
John, once again you have introduced politics. Why do you repeatedly feel the need to do so?
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 08:58:56 PM »
That's enough politics, or I shut it down.  You have been warned!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
That's enough politics, or I shut it down.  You have been warned!
Thanks, Sarge.  :))

Irover

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »
 8) Ditto!  8)
Don't ever give up!! keep pushing toward the goal!!!
USAEUR; 1st Armored Div., E Co.123rd Maintenance Btln. 71-74

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
Just like spending a night in a Rest Area or Walmart parking lot, situational awareness is key to sleeping in your car.  If an area doesn't feel right, move on.  Been there, done that.  As to sleeping in your car, if that's what you need to do to reach your goal, just do it. 

Honestly, I'm not sure things are any more dangerous today than 50 years ago.  I recall going to the New York World Fair in 1964.  I was with two friends who wouldn't ride on the subway.  So three young 21 year old kids who were pretty sure a ride on the subway meant a knife in the back.  Of course we were from the Midwest and all we could do was imagine what lies just around the corner in the real West Side Story town of New York City with all those Jets and Sharks lurking in dark corners.  At the end of the day we survived, and had a pretty good time. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
If you don't have enough money to afford a campground then you certainly don't have enough money to buy an RV. Cheap RVs are not cheap. They are expensive to repair. RV mechanics cost over $100 per hour.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2JcpKVxX3Ez3c8j9
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
What Tom says is true.  However, affordability is not always the issue.  Maybe it's just a mind set, but I don't like parting with my hard earned money when there are options that leave more in my pocket.  Putting things in perspective, I still have a flip phone.  No text, no Internet, just talk. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

DennisK

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »
That was the best Worlds Fair, FORD had all their best including the mustang 64 1/2.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
Call me paranoid but, RV Forum QZ rallies and illegal places aside, in over 30 years of RVing we've boondocked less than a handful of times, and I didn't sleep for most of those. OTOH we have several friends who have no qualms about boondocking anywhere their RV will fit.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 12:03:03 AM »
Call me paranoid but, RV Forum QZ rallies and illegal places aside, in over 30 years of RVing we've boondocked less than a handful of times, and I didn't sleep for most of those. OTOH we have several friends who have no qualms about boondocking anywhere their RV will fit.

I concur, although I did try it a few times in my earlier RVing days, truck stops, rest stops, parking lots. I often had such a miserable night sleep, it was just never worth it to me.  Every little noise stirred me, and what I didn't hear, I made up.....
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 12:45:00 AM »
I had a rough time sleeping the first few times I boondocked, but after that I never have had trouble. But I also boondock in places where its ok to do so, parking lots, rest areas etc. I dont think Id be able to sleep well if I was parked on a city street.  Id be awake most of the night expecting a cop to knock on my door telling me to leave.

Stealth camping may be fun at times, but you'll probably have to worry more about local homeowners upset with you parking on their street before you have to worry much about homeless. Most homeless people really just wanna be left alone. Homeowners dont like people living in their cars in front of their houses.
Caryl- Pilot
Mister Hank - Co-pilot and homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 03:45:06 AM »
Here's the story of when we (innocently) boondocked illegally:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,71487.msg652095/topicseen.html#msg652095
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:57:45 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »
Back in the day, when I would read the local newspaper or watch the local news, there weren't many stories of break-ins, robberies or muggings.  In fact, I'd say it was rare.  But that was in the Midwest and I didn't read the New York or Los Angeles Times.  The only national paper I would look at from time to time was the Wall Street Journal.  The only criminal activity the Journal reported on was associated with Big Business or well known individuals.  Things have changed.  We have Facebook and Yahoo News.  We read about things that occur around the country.  We read about things that happen in Europe and other parts of the world.  We read about things that the Press, in their infinite wisdom, thinks we want to read about.  We also read about RVing things that are scary.  Things like motorhome tire failures resulting in serious accidents.  Or propane refrigerators starting fire.  But is this really a fair representation of the risk.

I watched an interesting YouTube video the other day.  It was Ted Koppel talking about how the news has change.  He said that back in the day, guys like Cronkite, Brinkley and Huntley reported the news they felt we needed to know about.  Today he said reporters are reporting the news they think we want to hear about.  And it's all because of ratings.  There's something considerably more interesting about criminal activity and disaster than a couple of old folks fishing or out for a bike ride.  So that's what we get to see, hear and read about.  The attention grabbing headlines that every news stations hits the viewer with just before the commercial break.  Don't want anyone switching channels when big Pharma is going to talk about their latest new Drug.   

So just like there's a bit of paranoia over the safety of propane refrigerators and driving a motorhome without a TPMS, I personally believe the risk of spending a night in a rest area or Walmart, where the lights never go out, is maybe a bit overstated.  And just like we check our tires periodically and make sure there's no crud in the fridge burner tube or yellow stuff dripping from the cooling unit, we need to lock our doors and make sure only 95 lb. weaklings can skinny through an open window. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
I didnít sleep well last night and I was in our S&B house. Iíve stayed in hotels where I didnít sleep well. Stayed in CGís, State and National Parks where I didnít sleep well. It can happen anywhere. Maybe I need to have Gizmo100 stand guard wherever I am sleeping. I heard heís kinda like that warden in Cool Hand Luke ď One mean little sumbitchĒ.  ;)
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
That's a very astute observation Gary.  I noted back when I was a very young officer that news coverage was "all about the dollar". I worked a extremely violent area of south central LA. Murders and shooting were a nightly occurrence. And we never saw any coverage on the news, because it just wasn't "good for ratings". 

So gauging a safe location based on news coverage is useless.  You are better off going by ratings of people that have stayed there, like a site like Campground Reviews.com   At least they are honest reviews by campers that have stayed there.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »
I didnít sleep well last night and I was in our S&B house. Iíve stayed in hotels where I didnít sleep well. Stayed in CGís, State and National Parks where I didnít sleep well. It can happen anywhere. Maybe I need to have Gizmo100 stand guard wherever I am sleeping. I heard heís kinda like that warden in Cool Hand Luke ď One mean little sumbitchĒ.  ;)

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ditto on the not sleeping well in all kinds of situations....Of course some nights I lay awake wondering just when the "Gator" is going to strike again.

Of course..I may have a solution for that Old Gator....

2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

emjaybee77

• GeoPro 19fbs
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 08:38:56 PM »
You cannot let your life be dictated by fears.  Make smart decisions, yes, but don't be a sheep and assume that the world is a dangerous place and you need to gate yourself up. 

Dylan Thomas says it best.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
"Shine Silently"

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
I love boondocking and spend about 95% of time boondocked. The other nights are usually in public lands campgrounds. When I learned about being able to camp out this way is when I decided to become a full time RVer. If I had to stay in commercial RV parks, I would not have made this choice. Everyone is different and thatís just me - not saying one way is right or wrong.

However that being said I am pretty much always out in remote areas or near small towns. I havenít yet had a situation where I felt unsafe. But I would not want to boondock near a large city or park over night on city streets. There is just too much crime in cities- all of them. I avoid cities as much as possible.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »
Well Seattle has lot of people living on streets and living in their cars so not that creepy. Guess it's bit of a cultural thing where outsiders who aren't used to it will consider it creepy. But if your windows are tinted and unseen look like it's part of the crowd then I say it's cool ninja stealth not creepy.

Your choice.  To me having to live your life hiding from others is not what I'd classify as cool or desirable.

Boondocking comes from the term "boondocks", WWII slang meaning out in the backcountry.  Places like in the National Forests (where allowed) and the vast expanses of the Desert Southwest.  Not in the middle of a city.

Ne'er-do-wells are lazy, they commit crimes where they are, they don't go searching for hours along backwoods roads and trails hoping to find a victim.

Go ahead and get a camper if you're going to leave the city and it's problems behind.  Don't if you expect to camp for free while playing cat and mouse in the city.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:30:35 PM by Lou Schneider »

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »
Boondocking comes from the term "boondocks", WWII slang meaning out in the backcountry.  Places like in the National Forests (where allowed) and the vast expanses of the Desert Southwest.  Not in the middle of a city.

Amen. I think it's unfortunate that the defacto definition of "boondocking" has become blurred, to now include sitting at the curb or in front of Walmart, neither one of which (in my opinion) is boondocking or even camping. Personally I'd like to see a push to "redefine" boondocking back to its original meaning.

There seems to be a large contingent of the van crowd (not to include those in Class Bs that actually are camping) that have glamorized "stealth camping", rather than call it what it is - parking illegally.
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 F-250 SD LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

cadee2c

• ---
  • Follow your arrow wherever it points
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
You cannot let your life be dictated by fears.  Make smart decisions, yes, but don't be a sheep and assume that the world is a dangerous place and you need to gate yourself up. 

Dylan Thomas says it best.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

This, very much this.
Caryl- Pilot
Mister Hank - Co-pilot and homeland security

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

May the Llama of Happiness forever spit in your direction

SarniaTricia

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 02:13:04 PM »
I had the pleasure of attending a Rabbit Show held at a Fair Ground (Indiana)
Turns out there is a bunch of folks that live in their RVs at the Fair Ground... Most are Full timers and a few live in their RV while working out of town.... Really nice bunch of folks!!

I would suggest seeing what you can find "out side" of the city centre... does it make sense (time to get to work?)
Everyone has a different level of acceptable regarding the time to travel to work.  My hubby and I each drive 40 minutes to get to work. We live between the two work locations.

Everything in life is a calculated risk.... if you risk nothing you do not live....
I personally love my RV for being my home away from home at Shows and vacationing with family. 
Full time RV isn't something I'm interested at this time.
Driving a 2003 Ram 1500
Towing a 2017 21QB Jayco Flight
Camping to relax and attend rabbit shows!
Home: Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada