The Why of the Tow button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarniaTricia

So, I'm not great at following directions unless I understand the reason behind the instructions.....

My 2003 Ram 1500 has a TOW button that appears to disable the O/D.
The truck then runs with higher RPM.
I'm assuming the truck then uses more fuel by doing this.... So WHY am I supposed to press this button?

WHY??

The tow/haul feature changes the transmission shift points, the transmission now shifts up later and down sooner to allow the engine to operate at a more efficient speed under load. Without it the transmission will constantly 'hunt' which causes overheating. I use mine on steep grades even when not towing to control speed and spare the brakes.

On my 2005 YukonXL, my tow button does not disable the OD, but it has a sweet spot before it will go into that gear.  It only holds out a bit longer to shift and shifts a little more stern.  Flat towing on highway, probably not a big deal.  Hilly country, probably helps.  I use it because the smart ones (engineers) say it is best, and saving $1 on gas is not worth adding the stress on the transmission.  8)

Not using the Tow mode may not even save gas.  Engines that are lightly loaded can save fuel by running slower, but won't if they're pulling a load.

Usually the "sweet spot" is right around the peak torque RPM of the engine.  That's where it's converting fuel into rotational power most efficiently.

If you run the engine faster than that, you'll develop more horsepower to pull a hill, etc. but it's at the cost of consuming more fuel because the engine is less effficient at those speeds.

On the other hand, running slower than peak torque will also burn more fuel if it's pulling a load.

another reason...at least on Fords....don't know about a Dodge but probably... it sets the transmission into a engine brake setting for down hills... holds the speed with brakes.

Extra fuel consumption is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of a new transmission.

If I notice the transmission shifting up and down a lot then I "Press the button".

I also will use it for braking if needed...but that's pretty rare.

blw2 said:
another reason...at least on Fords....don't know about a Dodge but probably... it sets the transmission into a engine brake setting for down hills... holds the speed with brakes.
My 05 Ram doesn't have the engine brake, I believe it came out in 07, but with the tow/haul on it does a credible job of holding back on steep grades.

On my 2017 Ram it works great for descending down a grade or even just general stopping in traffic because it makes the tranny downshift automatically for better braking. Haven't noticed much difference on upshifting or cruising.

HappyWanderer said:
Extra fuel consumption is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of a new transmission.

I get it.... I do.... and I've been using it.... I am just a WHY person....
I'm not really good at following rules that are just there, because they are there ..... I like to know the WHY behind the "you should do this".

Roy M said:
The tow/haul feature changes the transmission shift points, the transmission now shifts up later and down sooner to allow the engine to operate at a more efficient speed under load. Without it the transmission will constantly 'hunt' which causes overheating. I use mine on steep grades even when not towing to control speed and spare the brakes.

This is essentially the WHY I was looking for.....
Other comments have helped as well....

Thank you everyone.

SarniaTricia said:
I get it.... I do.... and I've been using it.... I am just a WHY person....
I'm not really good at following rules that are just there, because they are there ..... I like to know the WHY behind the "you should do this".

My wife is the type that won't do it unless I tell Not to do something. She doesn't care about the why she just like to be told to do something

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947
Back
Top Bottom