Suggestions for panel used only for battery upkeep in storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I have a friend with a bumper pull that has an factory installed receptacle near the battery box for plugging in a solar panel. He recollects that it's placarded for 200W max. This makes me think there's already a charge controller installed. He doesn't boondock. He is interested in a panel he can plug in that will do a good job keeping his single battery charged while in storage at his house. Panel can be mounted to RV carport and properly oriented. I suggested he look in the 75 watt range but had no other suggestions. Most of the small systems I see include a controller, and I think he just needs a bare panel. Suggestions? Thx

I would not assume he has a controller. It a good selling point with the only manufacturing cost being some wire and a connector.

I took a chance on these and have been pretty pleased.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

Gizmo100 said:
I would not assume he has a controller. It a good selling point with the only manufacturing cost being some wire and a connector.

I took a chance on these and have been pretty pleased.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html

The more I think about it I think you're probably right about the controller. I'll pass along the link, probably perfect for his needs. Thx

They may also be saying 200 watts because of the wire size

Harbor Freight solar: No! No! No!

Their "100 watt" solar is 4 heavy 25 watt panels. For the same price, buy a real 100 watt panel.

HappyWanderer said:

Their "100 watt" solar is 4 heavy 25 watt panels. For the same price, buy a real 100 watt panel.

Which one?

HappyWanderer said:

We're happy with ours (3 Sets) Catch them when they are on sale for $150 each.

Renogy makes some fairly good products, though personally I think NewPowa tends to be better built  (Aluminum C channel all the way around the frame vs L channel on 2 sides on most Renogy panels, ...) and comparatively priced.  See https://smile.amazon.com/Newpowa-100W-Start-Solar-Charger/dp/B07JK4NY2Q/

Back2PA said:
I have a friend with a bumper pull that has an factory installed receptacle near the battery box for plugging in a solar panel. He recollects that it's placarded for 200W max. This makes me think there's already a charge controller installed. He doesn't boondock. He is interested in a panel he can plug in that will do a good job keeping his single battery charged while in storage at his house. Panel can be mounted to RV carport and properly oriented. I suggested he look in the 75 watt range but had no other suggestions. Most of the small systems I see include a controller, and I think he just needs a bare panel. Suggestions? Thx

I tend to agree with your assessment. In fact, probably something even smaller than 75 Watts will do just to keep it topped off.

New cars that are in storage on a parking lot are commonly equipped with a very small panel that sits on the dash and plugs into the cigarette lighter. Whether these have a charge controller or not, I don't know. However, their intent is just to keep the car battery charged while in storage.

In other words, you don't need a lot, and if the output of the panel is small, it is not going to damage the battery if it is connected without a charge controller.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom