Overnight stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otisthecamper

I will be traveling from Eastern Ohio to Traverse City MI with a travel trailer.  Any suggestions for an overnight location between Toledo, OH and Lansing, MI?

Welcome to the RV Forum Otisthecamper

You may get better suited answers with just a little more information.

What you looking for.......

Full hookups? Water & Power
Just a place to park and not be bothered?

We used this website, You just have to use common sense when reading reviews.

https://freecampsites.net/#!(41.96097,+-84.60103)

Thanks for the info.  Free would be best.  I don't need any hookups being I will just be stopping for 1 night for some sleep while traveling.

Otisthecamper,

If you intend to persist in this madness (as we do), then become friends with the app and/or the wedsite <rvparky.com> .  The website is free, but the app costs something (not much).  I have had it since it was free.  It also have reviews, be sure to read them. 

Matt

we joined harvest hosts.  Great trip planning tool to use showing a route and you can tell it how far off the route you would be willing to travel to get to an overnight destination.  This link will give you 15% off.....they sent me that when i joined. 

http://harvesthosts.refr.cc/jameshorrocks

More-Gas said:
WalMart Cold water Michigan

Stayed there. It is just off I-69 to the West as I recall (NOT 100% sure on that)

ALso the T/A Truck stop in Tekonsha (Exit 25 off I-69 and east a bit. not much)
Restaurant at the T/A is decent Not what I'd call great but decent.  Oh on the way there I believe you pass a little Ice Cream place on the left... I helped build it.

IF you need propane.. There is a propane dealer not far away but.. Well you'll need to ask for me to directo you as it's a touch involved.. Though I can find it dang near in my sleep.. Only slept there for about 20 years.

If shopping ALDI (A good place to shop) is across the road from the Wall*mart in Coldwater.

Look for Walmart's in smaller towns, such as towns with 20,000-30,000 people.  Call ahead to the store and to the person who answers, say, "I'm passing through "Anytown, USA" in an RV this evening and I wanted to be sure it is OK if I park in my RV in your parking lot overnight?"  Usually they will say it is OK and tell you where they want you to park. 

It is easy to use your smart phone, bring up your map, scroll to a city along the way at about the number of miles you want to travel.  Do a search on the map for "Walmart".  Many smart phone just let you speak the word into the phone and up pops all the Walmart's in the area displayed on your map.

Be sure to park well away from the entrances to the store.  We like to park around the edges if possible.  Parking in the middle and you may have 18 wheelers park next to you with their engine running all night.

AStravelers said:
Be sure to park well away from the entrances to the store.  We like to park around the edges if possible.  Parking in the middle and you may have 18 wheelers park next to you with their engine running all night.

I always go in and speak to a manager and ask as to where they want me to park even if there are RV's already parked in their parking lot.

I know this is an old thread but it is timely for me as a new owner.

I don't plan to camp at Walmart much but I definitely tend to want to get where I am going so I can be where I want. My longest get there was Dayton to San Francisco in 36 hours - sleeping at rest stops.

This thread got me curious about rest stops, especially the comment about Ohio, and I found this page which looks useful - https://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking-rules/

Ex-Calif said:
I know this is an old thread but it is timely for me as a new owner.

I don't plan to camp at Walmart much but I definitely tend to want to get where I am going so I can be where I want. My longest get there was Dayton to San Francisco in 36 hours - sleeping at rest stops.

This thread got me curious about rest stops, especially the comment about Ohio, and I found this page which looks useful - https://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking-rules/

REMEMBER!
You are not camping at WALMART. You are just spending the night. No grill, do not putout your awnings etc.

Ex-Calif said:
I found this page which looks useful - https://www.interstaterestareas.com/overnight-parking-rules/

Not a bad site, but notice the line Page Last Updated: September 23, 2019 ... so any information posted is at best ~8 months old. Rest area rules could have changed since then, especially with all the virus restrictions and closure of many public facilities in some states. For best current information, I'd suggest researching each state you'll be traveling through and finding their current guidelines (if officially posted someone online).

Every Cracker Barrel restaurants tat I know of, they let you stay in their parking lot. We usually stop there, have a good meal and crash for the night.

Otisthecamper said:
I will be traveling from Eastern Ohio to Traverse City MI with a travel trailer.  Any suggestions for an overnight location between Toledo, OH and Lansing, MI?
While traveling we have "overnighted" in parking lots and in rest areas... (100s of times).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom