Winnebago Tour Door Unlatching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
When we're driving, our entry door is closed securely and the deadbolt is latched. When we're driving on rough roads, which happens all the time here in California, the door becomes partially unlatched and starts vibrating and letting air and road noise in. There's no way to pull it closed. I have to stop, open the door, then close it again.

When the door becomes partially unlatched, you can't push it open - even if you open the deadbolt - it's still partially latched. We've had this problem since we've had this coach, and I haven't been able to figure out what, in the latching mechanism, is becoming unlatched, or how to fix it. Any ideas?

Kev

Kevin, do you think it has anything to do with the Latch at the hinge side top of the door. Mine got broken and it would not seal the door properly at higher speeds. I ordered another one from Winnie and replaced it and the door seals great now.

Herbie

Hmmmm... good question. I know that's some kind of speed-related auto-latching device, but I have to admit that I really don't know exactly what it does, or how it works. I know that I hear it "click" when we start moving, so I've always assumed it was working. What broke on yours, and how did you determine it wasn't working?

Kev

Kev, I noticed air noise at Hwy speeds and started checking the door seals and noticed the latch was broken. I am not sure why it broke unless it got stuck somehow and when I opened or closed the door it snapped it off. It seemed to be made of cast aluminum.

Herbie

Okay. Well, that part of our door seems to be fine, but I did notice that that floating round pin that the door latch grabs on to (on the left side of the door jam as you're going in) was sticking. I WD-40d the heck out of it, and now it floats freely. I'll see if that fixes it.

I'd still like to learn more about that speed-activated doohicky that's in Tour doors, but I can't find any information about it anywhere.

Kev

You got it right Herbie. The problem was being caused by a missing component on the door called a wedge block. In addition to the traditional RV door latch, Winnie Tour entry doors have a speed-related latching mechanism that puts pressure on the door to keep it from rattling when the RV is moving.

A solenoid inside the door frame is activated when the RV starts rolling, causing a plunger to put pressure on a wedge block that's mounted on the door itself. That pressure keeps the door from vibrating as you roll down the road, and keeps the door seal pressed against the door frame.

Our wedge block was missing, so there was nothing for the plunger to push on. It's been missing since we bought the coach six years ago, which explains why we've been fighting this problem the entire time. Quite frankly, I've never seen this kind of mechanism on an RV entry door before, and unless you had, I think it would be difficult for anyone to recognize that it was missing.

I installed a new wedge block, and we just returned last night from a trip. What a difference! It's like driving a new coach. Not a sound from the door. Thanks Herbie.

Kev

Kevin, I am so happy I helped you solve the same problem that I had. I agree if the wedge block was missing when you purchased the RV you would never have a clue as to what the problem is.

Happy Trails,
Herbie

Hello Kevin and Herbie. I was excited when I read your post because I thought it might be a fix for our door rattling problem we have had since it was new. I looked though and the wedge and the roller assembly are intact and the roller moves up and down freely.

My question to both of you is how do you know it works and engages? Does it energize when a certain speed is reached or when the door is locked? Can you hear it engage? Thanks

Before I installed the missing wedge block, I could hear the plunger in the door jamb make a distinctive "click" sound when the RV started moving forward at only 2 or 3 mph. The newly installed wedge block appears to be made of heavy nylon, or carbon fiber, and seems to be deadening the sound of the plunger, because I no longer hear that "click" sound when we start rolling.

If you're not hearing a "click" sound when you start moving, I would suggest removing the wedge block, and then see if you hear it. If you still don't hear it, I'd suspect that the plunger isn't moving when the RV starts rolling. Maybe it just needs some WD40 sprayed on it, or perhaps it just isn't working properly. You should be able to manually move it up and down, and it should feel like it's spring-loaded in the down position.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom