Update: Toni's progress - what a trooper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

This place is the greatest! Thanks for the prayers and everything else.

For those who haven't read any of my previous posts, our great-niece Toni was in an accident on June 3rd that left her paralyzed from the waist down.

Today I learned for the first time that, on June 4th, she called in sick from the intensive care unit!

Toni and her two younger sisters are the wards of their grandmother, Mary.  Mary is my sister-in-law.

Toni's lack of appetite had caused her to lose almost 20 pounds.  When we saw her on the 4th, she was down to 89 lbs.  On the 6th, the problem was diagnosed as her gall bladder and, when she was told they would arrange for a surgeon to come to the rehab hospital to evaluate her, she insisted that she needed to be taken to the hospital just a few blocks away.  They took her to the emergency room and early the next morning, the gall bladder has removed. 

Mary and the two younger girls went up to visit Toni yesterday. Even though she had her gall bladder removed Saturday morning, she was already back at the rehab hospital. After they got there to visit, she told them that they would just have to visit in the PT room because she needed to get some exercise! ... And her appetite is back! She's already regaining weight.

Today a local TV station (channels 40 and 29 out of Ft. Smith and NW Arkansas) did a very nice piece on Toni.  That's where I learned about her calling in sick. She's an employee of the Boy's and Girls Club of Benton County, Arkansas, and has been a member of the club for about 12 years.  She'll be a high school senior this fall.  She'll have 4 hours of tutoring each day while she is in rehab.

The quilt that Karen made and donated is going to be raffled at $5 a ticket.

Oh, Mike, I'm so glad Toni's getting her appetite back.  That's so very important to recovery.  And happy to hear she's back doing rehab.  That girl has spirit!

By the way, the quilt is lovely.  I hope many people buy tickets for the raffle.  We know it will be going to a good cause!

ArdraF

Update Information on the raffle for the quilt for anyone that might be interested.  Proceeds go to help Toni.  Karen made the quilt. 

The drawing will be held on August 20th. If you're interested, you still have time to send a check for tickets.  Raffle tickets are $5 each.  The check should be made out to Boys and Girls Club of Benton County and mailed to:

Attention Special Events,
        Boys and Girls Club of Benton County
        PO Box 448
        Bentonville, AR 72712

Boys and Girls Club contact info:
(479) 273-7187 Main number
(479) 273-5981 Fax
[email protected] Email

Yesterday's barbecue sale by the Boys and Girls Club raised at least $4800 dollars.  It was $5 a plate.  That's a lot of chicken.  The chicken was donated by Tyson Foods, which is based out of Bentonville.  It was completely sold out except for a plate that they saved to take up to Toni and Mary.

They had the quilt on display and they were selling tickets right and left. 

People who Mary (Toni's grandmother) works with have come up to her at work and said "Have you seen that quilt?" and stated that they would really like to have it.  Some have asked where on earth the Boys and Girls club got it and were a little surprise, I guess, when Mary told them that her sister had made it and decided to donate it to help Toni.

Several of Karen's siblings, their spouses, kids, and kids' spouses helped at the Boys and Girls Club with the barbecue and raffle tickets.

Toni is still having some difficulties, not feeling well and nauseous.  She was to the emergency room again last night.  We'll be going up to see her some time later this week.

I've started a new photo blog, with all of the income from it, if any, to go to help Toni and Mary with expenses.  I'll be posting some of my better pictures there.

Thanks for the update Mike. Sounds like a successful event. Sorry to hear Toni isn't doing too good.

Nice start on the photo blog. Wordpress is a great tool; I use it for some personal stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom