Best sealant/caulk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Hello,

I?m starting to order things to get my trailer back together. I planned to reseal the windows/luggage doors/lights  and then reseal the roof seams/around the vents etc

I?m reading/seeing a lot of mixed opinions about the best product to use.

Everywhere I look I see dicor being advertised for this but then I see people saying it?s over priced and you have to redo it more often than a commercial sealant not specifically geared towards campers.

I recently watched a YouTube video about sikaflex 1a and how much better it is but they were referencing the use of it on a RV roof not an EPDM roof.

I have both dicor and proflex But I just wasn?t sure if anyone had better luck with other products?

Dicor 501 is an excellent self-leveling caulk for EPDM and other types of RV roofs.  Yeah, it costs a bit more than the general run of exterior grade sealants, but I dispute that it needs more frequent replacement. RV's are a tough application for any sealant. They require extra stretch and flex.

Geocel Proflex RV is also a bit pricier than some, but it too is a quality product. Another is 3M Body Seam Sealer. Both of those products are for vertical seams where a self-leveling caulk is not appropriate. If you want to save a few bucks you can use any good quality window & door sealant, e.g. DAP Dynaflex.
Eternabond tape is a great product, but I personally don't recommend any tape-type sealant for around protruding objects, e.g. vents, antennas, ladder mounts, etc.  For those places, a squeezable caulk is easier to use and to fit tight. I use Eternabond on flat seams, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack1776
Back
Top Bottom