Basement Air Blower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

The outdoor blower on my Itasca basement airconditioner (Model #6535-671) quit. Checked Outdoor Blower capacitor (P/N 1499-5631) and it checked bad. Parts guy at RV Parts store said that had been replaced by P/N 1499-567. Only problem is that, other than the larger physical size, the replacement is a 30 MFD capacitor, whereas the one removed is a 12.5 MFD rating. My understanding is that the replacement should not be more than 20% larger rating than the removed one. I purchased the replacement, but am reluctant to install it until I get some confirmation that the larger rating is compatible.

Before I call AirXcel on Monday, does anyone have recent experience that can shed light on this issue? I would surely like to install the capacitor this weekend.   

I would have to agree with you...I think it to much difference. I've change a few in my life but was always able to get the right size.

I was told something about no more than 10% bigger but I didn't trust the source of that statement.

Thats a hard start capacitor I assume? Increasing the value will just turn the motor harder up to speed, hence the name. I did similar surgery on the 30yo compressor at home when it started to get persnickety and wanted to twist the fan unit off its base

According to a product support individual at RVProducts, the correct capacitor P/N is 1499-5631, 12.5 Mfd.  Anything other than that is not correct.
Purchased a 12.5 Mfd capacitor from Grainger, unit reinstalled, operates normally.

RedT said:
According to a product support individual at RVProducts, the correct capacitor P/N is 1499-5631, 12.5 Mfd.  Anything other than that is not correct.
Purchased a 12.5 Mfd capacitor from Grainger, unit reinstalled, operates normally.

:)) :))

John Hilley said:
30 MFD is fairly standard for that type motor, 12.5 MFD is actually quite low.
I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years and I have never seen a run capacitor on a fractional hp motor  that was 30nfd.  Most are 5, 7.5 or 10.  actually 12.5 is pretty large. 30 MFD capacitors are usually used as run capacitors for compressors.  Maybe the RV dealer read it wrong and was quoting the compressor capacitor.

I just had the run capacitor for the indoor blower replaced it was 7.5 ufd (microfarad).

Back
Top Bottom