Hot water heater problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joedetroit84

So I might've made a big mistake winterizing this year. While taking my 2000 Tiffin Allegro out of hibernation I started running water through the lines and realized quite quickly that my hot water heater was leaking a lot from somewhere. I haven't figured out exactly where it's coming but my fear is that there was water in it and it possibly froze through the winter and split the tank. The hot water heater is an Atwood- Model GC6AA-9E.  The issue I would like help with is this... When I remove the tank and discover it is split what tank would I buy to replace it. I looked on line all day yesterday and found everything but this model. The tank for the GC6AA-10E looks very similar what little pics I could see of it. If someone else has had to replace theres and knows if this tank will work with my model I would appreciate the info.

Before you jump the gun on ordering something. I would track down the leak. It may just be a fitting.

I would think a pex fitting to the tank would fail first then the tank itself.

Unless the tank was left FULL of water, it is very unlikely the tank ruptured.  Nearby fittings are a much more likely candidate - and much cheaper to replace.

If you do need a heater,        https://www.etrailer.com/question-301146.html

Thanks for the replies on this. My guess was the fittings or the pipes would fail first. I'm gonna take it out tomorrow and see what it is going on. I kind of panicked so thanks for bringing me off the ledge. 

Joedetroit84 said:
Thanks for the replies on this. My guess was the fittings or the pipes would fail first. I'm gonna take it out tomorrow and see what it is going on. I kind of panicked so thanks for bringing me off the ledge.

Please let us know what you find.

I had a split in a WH tank from freezing, hammered it closed somewhat and had it welded.  Never leaked again and much cheaper.

Family member bought a used one year old trailer that they knew was abused and not winterized, so they got it real cheap.  The Atwood water heater was split open like an over-ripe watermelon, but the PEX was fine.

Pex is pretty durable and resistant to freeze damage but in the last couple campers I've owned, they used some cheap crimp fitting that would never cut it in a residential setting and those failed over time for me without freeze damage.

How much did it cost to get your tank welded?  I would have never thought of that.

Back
Top Bottom