Motorhome Tire Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhoghvn

Hi,

I thinking of getting tire covers for my 29 foot Class A motorhome when parked.  I would like to know if there are any pros or cons to having them?

Thanks,

Fred

In my opinion, they're a waste of money. Tires usually age out before they fail from drying out. IMHO
This should start a good debate from both sides of the fence.

My view is that the covers you see in a box at RV supply places which are vinyl, either black or white, may do more damage than good.  However they are still marketing so maybe the damage I was told about does not happen.  I was told, I think here, that the contact points will transfer heat and damage that spot.  Not sure of the veracity of that one though.  If you are stored for a long time then the sunside will definitely age faster. 

Towards that end, we are getting covers made this week.  the same material used for the windshield covers, allow air to flow, and no contact.  Snaps on side and hangs to groound.  Keeps sun off, the material blocks 90% or so of the UV.  I think they look a little better too, the drape over covers always look rumpled.

I consider them cosmetic only, for the reasons others already cited. However, laboratory measurements show that exposure to ultraviolet does accelerate tire aging. Whether your tires will get any benefit from them is something you have to decide for yourself.

As for Cons, cost and the effort to put them on. And I suppose that black ones could increase heat, though its not clear that a few more degrees would have any effect. The tire gets much, much hotter when driving at speed on pavement in the summer.

I always put white covers on my boat and Travel Trailer tires when they are sitting for extended time.  They both get the direct afternoon sun. I'm not sure they help a bunch with the tires, but it seems to help keep the elements off the wheels, and they look perfect after many years.  Same goes with keeping a cover over them, keeps the sun off.  Buy good products.  Just my opinion, most others will disagree.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  They are greatly appreciated.  I think after reviewing the pros and cons, I will not install any at this time.

Thanks,

Fred

I have used them for many years, both black and white. I have a different reason though. I use them to keep the wheels clean as it saves me quite a bit of time in labor of cleaning and polishing the wheels. If they do give any protection from the elements, thats all the better.  And I use the Camco snug fitting covers that are cotton lined on the back. No damage from marks, heat or any other problem in 20 years and  several different RV's.  Your call.

when my outer rear tire blew a couple years ago, it was a michelin with rather substantial surface cracking.  I'm not convinced that the cracking had anything really to do with the blowout, but it is rather believable that the cracking indicates some degradation beyond purely cosmetic.....

anyway, the service tech pulled off the inner tire as well, while he was changing it out... it was striking really, to compare the inner tires that had never seen direct sun with the outer tires.  Remarkable difference.  The tires were at that point were about 4 years old and had always been parked outside and had never been covered...and the inner tires look almost new while the outer ones looked ancient by comparison.

So, while it may not offer any measurable improvement in structural integrity or tire life span, the first thing I did for my new tires was to order a set of covers.  I don't put them on at the campground or RV park, but I do as soon as I park it for storage.

There are folks that cover their wheels any moment the vehicle is stopped.  Given that almost universally tires age out no matter what I'm not sure that's buying a lot.  My story is I had a set of car tires stored in the garage a number of years (way better than any cover outside) and when I put them back in service the sidewalls failed in just a few months.  It could probably be said that ozone accelerates failure too but you don't see folks putting their wheels in nitrogen bubbles.  If it was that big a problem there would be millions of people putting covers on their car tires.  RV's in general are a consumable.  Run the thing, fix what's broken, replace tires when shot for whatever reason.  Repeat.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

A fella gave me a set of white ones but regardless of any merits they might?ve had as protection they made my coach look like it was wearing spats. So I threw the things in the trash.

I have a set of the silver ones that look like diamond plate.  They do keep the wheels/tires clean and where I am parked for the summer the heat/sun is devastating to almost everything.  Plus, if they aren't worth anything, how come people keep stealing them?  I think I must own about 10% of the company by now. 

Sun is a destroyer of all  things.

In the OLD days, people  loved to lay in  the  sun to get tan.  Now  they have leather skin.

And worse, like skin cancer.

Cover Up yourself  and your grandkids!

Plus, if they aren't worth anything, how come people keep stealing them? 
Because they have been well-trained by the RV accessory sellers to want these things.

Seriously, though, it is fact that sunlight causes deterioration of rubber, vinyl, polyester, etc. What is less clear is whether that damage is sufficient to cause tires to fail prematurely, meaning before they age out or fail for other reasons.  Modern tire materials are highly resistant to ultraviolet, chemicals, etc., but that doesn't mean impervious to them. If in doubt, cover them up.
There are various things that are unhealthy for tires. Merely sitting without rolling much (or ever) is one of them. Air pollution (chemicals in the air) are another. Continuous contact with damp ground is yet another.  They all contribute to early life failures in RV tires that aren't driven much.

FWIW, I can't prove or disprove that covers help, but after seeing some on a neighbor's coach I purchased a set made by MagnaShade.  From a cosmetic perspective they are really slick.  The typical plastic covers just don't look so good after long term use.  These are made of easily cleanable material and are held "taught" by a wire rim so they look sharp.  That way, even if they don't actually help the tires, they do add to the attractiveness of the coach. Of course, that means you'll want to keep your wheels nicely polished!

Attachments

• wheel cover.jpg
    wheel cover.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 49
Larry N. said:
I guess I'm missing something, doc, since I can't see any form of tire cover in your picture.

Do you see the little white tag below the wheel hub?  Now imagine that it is attached to a flat donut of black material that is open in the center so you can see the polished wheel but which lays flat up against the tire.  It's made like one of those "snap open" sunshades!  It's held in place with bungee cords in the back that are sized for the tire size.

IMO that's the beauty of the approach, you really don't see anything other than the smooth black surface and your pretty polished wheels show through!

fhoghvn said:
Thanks everyone for your comments.  They are greatly appreciated.  I think after reviewing the pros and cons, I will not install any at this time...

You have made the right decision.

This whole tire cover nonsense is a perfect example of what I call ?propaganda marketing.? There?s another commonly used mantra also applies here...you know...the one which says if you repeat a lie often enough, eventually people will believe it.

Do you cover your car tires when it?s parked? No, you don?t. So why cover the tires on a motorhome? It only makes sense to the hucksters selling these things.

Totally unnecessary and a useless waste of money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom