rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Solar installer in Quartzite  (Read 1838 times)

fgillies

• 2013 26Ft Forest River Rockwood UltraLite
Solar installer in Quartzite
« on: May 19, 2019, 07:31:32 AM »
Could anyone recommend the best installer in Quartzite in late October?
Fred G.
2013  26 ft Forest River Rockwood

Gizmo100

• ---
Re: Solar installer in Quartzite
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:17:33 AM »
Welcome to the RV Forum fgillies

I believe Solar Bill's is one that is recommend. But let someone else confirm that. I haven't used them so I can't speak for the quality of their work.
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
Welcome to the RV Forum fgillies

I believe Solar Bill's is one that is recommend. But let someone else confirm that. I haven't used them so I can't speak for the quality of their work.

If I was going to have solar installed I would go to Discount Solar.  Solar Bill does not have a good reputation for installations.
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”--- Voltaire

fgillies

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:18:29 AM »
Mmmmmm. Seems to be some disagreement there. Know of any other installers in Q?
Fred G.

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:40:41 AM »

As far as I know, and we have spent time in Quartzsite for the last 10 years, these are the only two I know of that have a permanent presence in Quartzsite. In that time I have heard few complaints about Discount Solar, but multiple complaints about Solar Bill.
PJ Stough   Iowa

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”--- Voltaire

fgillies

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:48 AM »
Thanks to you both. Just traded our '06 FR Sierra 5th wheel for a '13 FR Signature 5th wheel and can't live without the solar setup like I put on the old RV. Just figured Quartzite would be the place but looks like I'll buy the parts and install myself again. Just getting a bit long of tooth now for roof work. Really appreciate all the info from all the experts here.
Read about some RV's having pre-installed wiring for Solar. If I recall, the writer said there will be a round or square junction box up there somewhere if so. Didn't see one but will have a closer look. Nothing in the new rv literature. Maybe that was for motor homes or trailers newer than 2013.
All the info I've read on this forum (going back to 2010) has helped me determine the solar kit, the batteries and the panel securing method. All that is left is how to route the wires to the controller and batteries. In my old RV, I routed them into the plumbing vent on the roof and brought them out of that ABS pipe ABOVE the sewage inlets where I had drilled a small hole and then over to the controller. Worked well and I sealed the hole around the wires on the ABS with silicone just in case although that should always be dry. One writer suggested running the wiring in thru the exterior fridge panel and then to the controller. In my case the awning is in the way and I hate to have surface wiring on the outside of a "new" trailer. I realize also that the shorter the length of wire, the better. Any ideas on where to route the wires?
I guess that was one reason I had decided to have the job done by an experienced installer. We winter in the Casa Grande area and figured we would go south via Quartzite. 
Fred G.

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
As far as I know, and we have spent time in Quartzsite for the last 10 years, these are the only two I know of that have a permanent presence in Quartzsite. In that time I have heard few complaints about Discount Solar, but multiple complaints about Solar Bill.

Don't use my mentioning of Solar Bill as a recommendation...I've NEVER used them....I just remembered the name as one that was mentioned.

2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 01:41:30 PM »
>but looks like I'll buy the parts and install myself again. Just getting a bit long of tooth now for roof work.<

Yeah, I hope I won't ever have to do it again either. However, I think I would still try to do it myself. At least then you know what you get. Solar installations are not rocket science, and as you say, there is a lot of good information in this forum about how to do it. We also have some true experts that can help with the actual calculations.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 02:57:55 PM »
I agree with Paul. I saw one Solar Bill install. If it had been mine I'd ripped it out and started over.

If you decide to use Discount Solar (or anyone else for that matter), try to get a time when they are not overwhelmed like RV Show time.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Winnebago Vista 35F
2011 Honda Fit
2008 Veracruz

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
PJ Stough   Iowa

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 07:53:54 AM »
Doesnt look like he is going to be in Quartzsite in October.
I saw his schedule, but Greg is very flexible and accommodating and might be able to work something out. It's worth a call.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Winnebago Vista 35F
2011 Honda Fit
2008 Veracruz

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 11:18:00 AM »
I saw his schedule, but Greg is very flexible and accommodating and might be able to work something out. It's worth a call.

:))
PJ Stough   Iowa