Benson AZ to Ogden UT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Getting ready for our trip north.  Have a couple stops and would like a little guidance on a route.  From Page, AZ ro Cedar City, UT.  Route tells me Rt 14.  We were warned off it back in the Fall going south.  Different coach, but still a motorhome.  Long grades, low speed curves etc.  Avoid?  We can easily route around it, but need I be concerned?  Going south we were in a gas coach, going north we are now in diesel, still learning the strengths etc. 

Suggestions?

Terry said it is an Orange Truck route.  Should be fine. Get a Rand McNally  Deluxe Motor Carriers Road Atlas ( Laminated)

We  use it to  plan our routes.

We have been that way in a travel trailer, not a motorhome, but it is doable. There is one stretch of long up and down grades a ways past the Cedar Breaks turn. Just take your time and enjoy the ride. It is a very scenic road. Try to stop at Cedar Breaks. They have a scenic drive there too.

I'll look for it, we have the Truckers Mountain Guide, it describes the down grades,  When we were in Cedar City a fellow Ver gave a hair raising account of the road Jolene was petrified, I didn't think it sounded that bad, but if we do the reverse, I just won't mention it.

I live in Cedar and use 14 often,, the trip westward is mostly down hill and all is 55 mile per hour. Just before the "esses" you come off of Webster flat into a set of tight curves called the esses,, you will need to be down to about 25 ( or lower)for those turns and you will empty into the Cedar Canyon and campground area.. From there its a piece of cake.. Hopefully you have an exhaust brake or engine brake, you WILL be using it as you will peak at 9100 ft. and arrive at Cedar at 6000 ft.  ( An alternative is continue north on 89 past 14 thru Panquitch and turn west on hwy 20 to I15 then north,, much longer and softer downgrades and less curves,, unless you wish to visit Cedar City for any reason).>>>Dan  ( I just remembered you have terry & Betty's Country Coach,,see you never will own it.. It will always be the Brewers old coach;.. But you won't have any problem with this road).>>>Dan
  The last turn you make at the bottom will be speed posted at 30 MPH,,..The local LEOs are VERY serious about this limit..At the end of 14 you will be at 14 and main st. This is the main drag,, turn right one block to hwy 56, (200 north) turn left,, your on Restaurant row and will be pointed at I15.>>>

SR-14 is a scenic drive, with a steep climb and an even steeper drop down to Cedar City. 

If what you want is a scenic drive then by all means take that route.  Or if you want to test your rig on steep mountain highways, then SR-14 is a good route.

However if your intent is basically to go from point A to B, why not head farther north on US-89 and take SR-20 to I-15.  SR-20 is a much easier drive than SR-14. 

Another option is when you get to Kanab take US-89A south to Fredonia and then AZ SR-389 to Hurricane and I-15.  This is a level route with a short 1/2 to 3/4 mile drop as you enter Hurricane. 

Or if you need to go to Cedar City then take the Kanab/Fredonia/Hurricane route.

I am OK with owning the 'Brewers Old Coach', it is a storied and pampered coach.  We were lucky enough to be in the right place, right time, and sort of ready.  We had just invested a lot into the Browns old coach, thinking it would be our long time coach. 

Having been owned by Terry and Betty, there was not much to be done, but in all coaches, you need to make it your own, so I have had a number of small projects to make it better suit us. 

Back to original subject, probably going a different way, we were mainly going that direction to stop in Kanarraville, but eliminating that stop. 

There is a certain Allure to the Brewers old coach, but it is a Magna. 

CC model name humor....  The Intrigue continues...

I know exactly how you feel Bill,, years ago I bought a Friends Cessna 210 ,,we both flew out of the same airport as home base.
I never got to "own" that damn thing until I repainted it.>>>Dan

Funny, when I bought Dougie Browns coach it was my Winnebago.  Now my Country Coach is Brewers old coach.  Tough showing off to fellow forumites, most have seen it already.

PancakeBill said:
Funny, when I bought Dougie Browns coach it was my Winnebago.  Now my Country Coach is Brewers old coach.  Tough showing off to fellow forumites, most have seen it already.

Should we ever have the pleasure of meeting someday....You can show it to me...Never met the Brewers....or anyone else for that matter ;D ;D

Gizmo100 said:
Should we ever have the pleasure of meeting someday....You can show it to me...Never met the Brewers....or anyone else for that matter ;D ;D

Or me.  I've met the Brewers, but we were too busy dodging rocks and cactus and other wheelers in our Jeeps, so I haven't seen the coach yet.

Highway 14 is doable but like already mentioned has a couple of steep grades with one longer one in particular, nothing out of the question though.

If you wanted to hit Fredonia on Hwy89A and then over to Hurricane, La Verkin and Toquerville as that is also scenic and much lesser of a grade.  Or if you headed a bit more north just past Panguitch and take Highway 20 over to I-15 that is also a very good road with only mild grade but you'd end up bypassing Cedar City.

Mike

Yes, twosome folks it will be Bill & Jolenes coach. 

Still a little vague on route, but leaning towards Page as next stop.  I have done the Rt 20 version a number of times, it is nice.  Actually, Ogden will be a pass thru, we will be in Heber City for the weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom