Tire pressure monitor sensors External or Internal, which is best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billfeliciano

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place for this question. I am planning to add a TPMS system to my rig and wondered if I should have the sensors mounted inside replacing the valve stem or if the external ones are ok. My rig has 6 tires so if I can use the external sensors it would be a DIY otherwise I would need to have a shop do it.

Thanks
Bill

I've used them since 2003 and external ones work fine.  Internal ones are, of course, more protected from damage by curbs or theft by vandals but that is seldom a concern. I've seen a few reports of sensor thefts in large (metro area) storage yards, but I've also seen reports of tvs, tires or batteries stolen, so sensors may be the least of the storage worries.

I just drove the first 420 mile trip, yesterday, with a Tire Traker TT-500.  4 sensors, valve cap type.  Local tire shop installed steel valve stems.  I like the battery powered monitor, suction cup mount on the windshield.  A signal booster is recommended and necessary for my rig.

After a tire failure on a forest service road, with trailer damage, it?s nice to see tire pressure and temperatures in the truck.

I haven't looked lately, but when I bought my TST system I don't recall seeing in aftermarket options for internal sensor systems.

Personally, I think I might like the idea of an internal system...only because mine spends more time in storage than on the road with our weekend/holiday use of the RV, so I remove the sensors every time it goes into storage ...to keep them out of the weather, but more importantly to help with the already too short battery life.  TST makes a factory replaceable battery system, and I've often wondered if I would have been better off with that one....

Right, Brad, mine will be taken off when not in use.  That will extend battery life. Which, by the way, are easily replaced button type for the TT-500.

richclover said:
Right, Brad, mine will be taken off when not in use.  That will extend battery life. Which, by the way, are easily replaced button type for the TT-500.

yes, easy...but still takes time.... and be sure to have some extra o-rings on hand.  I have yet to find a convenient source for the little o-rings in mine.  Have to get them from tst

I also have the TST 507 with external sensors.  In my short experience since installing them on our new 5th wheel in January they have performed well, no issues.  As far as theft concerns, as others have said it is likely not a major concern, if any at all and in the case of the TST they have a wrench that is used to remove and replace them, otherwise without the wrench they just spin.  An advantage to the external, at least for me is the DIY nature, whether installing for the first time or having to replace a bad one.

blw2 said:
yes, easy...but still takes time.... and be sure to have some extra o-rings on hand.  I have yet to find a convenient source for the little o-rings in mine.  Have to get them from tst

Changing the batteries in my 10 TST 507 cap sensors is part of my New Years Day routine. It takes about 30 minutes including removing and reinstalling them. I save time though, because I long ago removed the rotating security covers and left them off. That makes the sensors smaller and less noticeable, as well as slightly lighter. It also makes airing up no different than removing an ordinary valve cap. I found similar 0-rings at a True Value hardware store a few years back, but it's cheaper getting them from TST and I don't have to dig through all those little bins at the store to find them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom