Any experience with Polyurea Roof coating for RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JSC51

Mr. Moderator; I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic or not. Please feel free to move if you think another location is more appropriate.

We purchased a 2005 Four Winds Chateau 35R in 2015. When we purchased the unit it only had about 15,000 miles on it and a few hundred hours  on the generator. The mechanical condition, exterior skin, interior finishes all indicated a unit that had been lightly used and reasonably well cared for. Our purchase required the dealer to install new tires and batteries, replace the rubber seal at the bedroom slider repair a damaged ladder. Since our purchase we've had a few minor problem but nothing that I can't attribute to age and/or normal wear and tear.

The most concerning of these age related issues is the roof/caulking. There have been several instances when we've had some minor leakage into the living space. Every time this has happened I've been on the roof with tools and caulk in hand to find and repair the leak and inspect all of the existing (aging) caulk joints. Currently, there are no tears or cuts in the roof and all of the roof wood feels sound but there is a small area near the front roof vent (source of a leak a few years ago) that the roof covering (EPM?) appears to have come loose from the wood.

My concerns are:

1. I'm only repairing known leaks or potential sources of leaks that I find during an inspection. If there is a bad spot in the caulk allowing water in that doesn't manifest itself as a drip into the interior, that leak could go unchecked for an extended period and result in roof/wall damage.

2. Roof membrane and some of the caulk are at least 14 years old at this point. Every time I inspect the roof I end up removing old caulk and replacing it to get rid of the cracked or replace missing caulk.

A couple months ago at the Timonium RV Show I came across the "Pasadena Bed Linings" booth (http://www.pasadenabedlinings.com/wp/rv-roofs/). In addition to installing spray on bed liners they also install Polyurea coating (similar material to bed liner) on RV roofs. This seems to address/resolve both of the concerns listed above and offers a 20 year roof warranty.

I have an appointment to have the roof installed in early July. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with the process, material that they can share?

Thanks

Jack

I am in the garage flooring industry. My supplier of Polyruea coatings feels that high-end acrylics do better. So our sister company that sells roofing products has one of their products that they market on the RV side along with commercial and other applications. Getting ready to try it on my Four Winds myself :)

One thing to keep in mind. Polyurea and many of the other coatings on there have a lot of solvents in them that cause the EPDM to swell. They say its not an issue because it will go back to normal, but I did not like the idea of having that kind of pressure on my penetrations and edges.

If you want to overcoat the old membrane, it doesn't have to be polyurea.  There are elastomeric coatings made specifically for EPDM RV roofs. SOme of the better known brands include Dicor EPDM Roof Coat, Pro Guard Liquid Roof, Kool Seal RV,  and Heng's Rubber Roof Coat.

There is also a company called RV Armor that has a roof coating process.

Be aware that an overcoat only puts a new surface on the membrane. It doesn't fix loose (no longer glued) membrane or soft substrate. Should extend the life of the old membrane, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom