rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Music at campsites  (Read 2553 times)

guitarjan

Music at campsites
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »
My husband and I are retirees who like to play music as a duo and also jam with others. We are new to RV life. Can we spontaneously play music at our evening campfire at campgrounds?  We both play acoustic guitar and sing. I also play harmonicas, and sometimes we add a cajon. We also have a small sound system we use for busking, but wouldnít be using it at a campfire.

How do we find campgrounds where there are other amateur musicians who would like to join in?

Are there any in-campground music meetups?

Thanks!

Every day, begin again

guitarjan

Gizmo100

• ---
Re: Music at campsites
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »
I think it would depend on how close your are to your neighbors. Some may not mind ...Others may complain.

I always take a guitar with me when on vacation but the only place I took it outside was the BLM area by Quartzsite. The next RV was over 200 yards away.

If it's something you really want to do...You could go meet your neighbors prior to setting up to play and invite them to come enjoy the music. or let them know if it's a problem just to come over and say something.
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »
Yo might check out Desert Gold RV Resort in Brenda, Arizna (just down the freeway from Quartzsite.  They have a large activity room and host many jams.
https://www.g7rvresorts.com/rv-park/desert-gold/

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
Adding to Gizmo's comments, you  might also wish to ask the campground hosts if it's OK.

FYI friends of ours stayed at state parks quite a bit, and they'd often ask the campground hosts or the camp social/entertainment director. They weren't refused and, when they'd start playing around the campfire, folks came out of the woodwork to listen &/or join in.

When we're camped at our summer retreat, I put a notice in the resort magazine asking folks to join us, either at our lot or in "the barn". One of the regular participating musicians plays a tuba, so not very quiet. We usually have an audience in either venue, and nobody has yet thrown fruit or veggies at us. OTOH I extend an offer to neighbors to join us, and I even offer to teach them how to play if they don't already. I've avoided turning on the sound system.

I love the sound of a cajon on appropriate songs, although it might be a bit loud for nearby neighbors.

Meanwhile, I'm reminded of a line from the Barbershop Society code of ethics:

We shall refrain from forcing our songs upon unsympathetic ears.

Hope to meet up with you at a campground and play music together.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
Set up a couple of empty chairs at the campfire to make it easy for visitors to join in.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
I don't want to hear any music from other campers. Its just noise to me.  I think as long as it is kept low volume, you might get away with it.
Lowell
Currently without a trailer
2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

mel s

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »
My husband and I are retirees who like to play music as a duo and also jam with others. We are new to RV life. Can we spontaneously play music at our evening campfire at campgrounds?  We both play acoustic guitar and sing. I also play harmonicas, and sometimes we add a cajon. We also have a small sound system we use for busking, but wouldnít be using it at a campfire.

How do we find campgrounds where there are other amateur musicians who would like to join in?

Are there any in-campground music meetups?

Thanks!

guitarjan

http://borderzine.com/2010/06/slab-city-artists-play-their-music-free-and-easy/

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:33:18 PM »
I suggest investigating the nearest town for meetups, sing a longs and jam sessions. There are many available in just about every town of some size. I found a ranger at the Grand Canyon that had a monthly jam session that I attended every time I was at the Grand Canyon. So ask around, you might be surprised.

https://youtu.be/xr80JTLrm1E

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »
Where are you?

Iím the director of a summer concert series in Watsonville, California.  Itís a nice park in the beautiful redwoods.  We do more than allow you to play, we give you an amphitheater to play in and free camping.  Usually there is a good audience.  50 - 125 people.

Weíve been in several RV parks that have weekly jams & open mics.  Crazy Horse in Lake Havasu, Catalina in Desert Hot Springs,  Las Quintas RV Resort in Yuma, Az. Park Place in Quartzite, AZ are the ones I remember.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter,  mediocre guitar player.
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
I can recall, a few years ago, walking over to a nearby campsite to ask them to turn down their music. When I got there and discovered that it was livw, it was suddenly no longer objectionable. I went back, got a cair, and sat down to listen.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
Where are you?

Iím the director of a summer concert series in Watsonville, California.  Itís a nice park in the beautiful redwoods.  We do more than allow you to play, we give you an amphitheater to play in and free camping.  Usually there is a good audience.  50 - 125 people.

Weíve been in several RV parks that have weekly jams & open mics.  Crazy Horse in Lake Havasu, Catalina in Desert Hot Springs,  Las Quintas RV Resort in Yuma, Az. Park Place in Quartzite, AZ are the ones I remember.

My daughters long term SO plays in bands in the Bay Area.  Not sure he'd be interested but also a musician and lives in the Silicone Valley.  Not sure if he writes but plays keys, guitar and possibly drums.  He's an hour and a half from Watsonville.  Not quite an avid RVer but they have a Sportsmobile and love camping.  If interested, what should he do?
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »
I don't want to hear any music from other campers. Its just noise to me.  I think as long as it is kept low volume, you might get away with it.
I don't want to sound like a miserable old goat but I feel the same way. I go camping for solitude, quiet conversation around a fire and the night sounds are the only entertainment I want.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
I don't want to sound like a miserable old goat but I feel the same way. I go camping for solitude, quiet conversation around a fire and the night sounds are the only entertainment I want.
We are a bit like that too.  I suppose if it was occasional it would be ok, but not every night.  How would folks feel if I had my D.I.S.C.O. music playing  ;D
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til our 2020 adventure...

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 05:01:32 PM »
We are a bit like that too.  I suppose if it was occasional it would be ok, but not every night.  How would folks feel if I had my D.I.S.C.O. music playing  ;D

D.I.S.C.O.. I'm starting to think your just not a stable person.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »
Then I am not a stable person either. I love Disco. But then again I love all types of music without exception. I am a music lover.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »
I would not be concerned about any music that is played quietly. A big group jam would probably be louder than polite. I always try to make sure sounds from my site donít carry farther than the site. I have been next to people playing acoustic guitars and even a violin, and those were nice.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 06:25:05 PM »
I love and pay mostly bluegrass, and there are many festivals of like minded folks, lots of times the music around the CG is more enjoyable than that n the stage.  Seek out festivals!

Bill & Jolene W (& Koda 6/1/2004 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
Retired from Old Faithful, Old Guy at Hardware Store
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'. (JUST ONE NOW)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »
I love and pay mostly bluegrass, and there are many festivals of like minded folks, lots of times the music around the CG is more enjoyable than that n the stage.  Seek out festivals!

Now we're talking......Love me some bluegrass.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »
Weíre working a festival at the park in Watsonville Memorial Weekend.  Folkies, bluegrass, jazz, rock, blues, and whatever else strikes someoneís fancy.  One of the blues guys played with The Reverend Gary Davis for several years.  It should be interesting.  :) :) :)

Hit me with a PM if you want information.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 03:26:43 AM »
Neigh I'm just someo young  ;D

Then I am not a stable person either. I love Disco. But then again I love all types of music without exception. I am a music lover.

I love everything except the freestyle jazz, like Chloe Laine. Just can't get the rhythm of that at all.  :o

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 03:32:43 AM »

To be fair, I've not heard anyone playing at any campground we have been to, so I might change my mind. I do think folk have to be respectful and considerate about noise (and lights) around the campsite.

We are going to have to seek out live music this year I think as it's not something we've come across very often.

One of our best experiences was before camping we stayed at The Mexican Hat Motel in 2006/7, the "home of the swinging steak".  Whilst eating said steak, a band played country music in the garage, or barn, and it was fun!  They cooked steaks on a grill that swung over the BBQ fire. Unfortunately the steaks were a bit chewy  ;D  Great memory.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »
We are going to have to seek out live music this year I think as it's not something we've come across very often.

Are you still planning on coming to the 49er Encampment in Death Valley this November? There is music in Sunset and Fiddlerís campgrounds for sure, at least some of the week. Sunset usually has a real stage set up with amplification, but they shut it off promptly at quiet hours. Fiddlers is more casual jams at the campsites. Old time western, American folks tunes, and bluegrass predominates.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

DavidM

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »
I'm loving what I'm see here.  Was wondering about this. 

My son is off to school in the fall to get a performance degree in New York City.  It's great to see so many musician into camping.  I've had live music played at home just about everyday for the past 10 year it will be cool to still get that some out RV'ing.       

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 06:26:14 AM »
Are you still planning on coming to the 49er Encampment in Death Valley this November? There is music in Sunset and Fiddlerís campgrounds for sure, at least some of the week. Sunset usually has a real stage set up with amplification, but they shut it off promptly at quiet hours. Fiddlers is more casual jams at the campsites. Old time western, American folks tunes, and bluegrass predominates.
Yes, we are! Thanks for the tips!

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
Jackie or anyone else interested in the Death Valley 49er Encampment and the music, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the latest 49er newsletter. It has descriptions of the many activities and musical opportunities that will there this year plus some information about last yearís Encampment to whet your appetite. Note that musicians are encouraged to play at the Coyote Howl on Wednesday night so practice a piece and be prepared to perform.
2018 Tiffin 37PA

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »
Jackie or anyone else interested in the Death Valley 49er Encampment and the music, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the latest 49er newsletter. It has descriptions of the many activities and musical opportunities that will there this year plus some information about last yearís Encampment to whet your appetite. Note that musicians are encouraged to play at the Coyote Howl on Wednesday night so practice a piece and be prepared to perform.
A triangle is my limit in musical instruments and I am tone deaf but would manage a howl  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
A triangle was the only thing they let me play in elementary school  :(
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SeanAndKaty

• ---
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »

I'm a regularly-gigging solo musician -- and I AGREE! I'll definitely be playing my guitar when we're camping, even outside. But it'll be very low volume (conversation level) and I wouldn't think of playing so loudly that it would bother our neighbors....
- Veteran RVers since, well, October 2018.
- 2019 Nexus Phantom 31P  |  Seattle-ish WA  US-of-freakin'-A

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
Iím with you on that.  Iíve had folks in the next site ask me to play louder a few times.  Iíve used a small amp with headphones so I could play with a JamMan Solo looper.  Thinking of getting a tonewood amp, ever used one?

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
Sorry, dont want to offend, but we love the quiet at campgrounds.  I like to hear the sounds of birds, owls, etc.  not everyone likes the same type of music.  I play piano and I love almost all genres of music, except jazz.  So if someone in the site next to me was playing up some jazz every night, i would probably pack up and leave. 
2018 Winnebago Intent
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Winter Springs, Florida😀

Bill_Fold

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
As a performing musician for almost 40 years it is my Humble Opinion(and my experience) that if the musicians are really good, then hardly anyone will complain, as long as the players respect the rights of their neighbors to get a good nights sleep.  8)

TheBar

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »
Sorry, dont want to offend, but we love the quiet at campgrounds.  I like to hear the sounds of birds, owls, etc.  not everyone likes the same type of music.  I play piano and I love almost all genres of music, except jazz.  So if someone in the site next to me was playing up some jazz every night, i would probably pack up and leave.

X2. I am a musician myself playing keyboard and guitar since I was 4 years old. But at home. For many working stiffs camping is about enjoying nature and getting away from it all. I don't mind someone playing music respectfully for an hour but nobody should dominate their neighbors entire evening. Especially if alcohol is involved since it always increases the volume and singing every note loud and flat. Which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C and Starcraft popup
DW loves camping more than I do

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
X2. I am a musician myself playing keyboard and guitar since I was 4 years old. But at home. For many working stiffs camping is about enjoying nature and getting away from it all. I don't mind someone playing music respectfully for an hour but nobody should dominate their neighbors entire evening. Especially if alcohol is involved since it always increases the volume and singing every note loud and flat. Which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

X3. Most of the time I sit out, it is next to the fire with no music. Very occasionally, I have a bluetooth speaker on, sitting next to me. When I have the speaker on I check the volume carefully by walking about halfway to the nearest camper - if I can hear mine, at all, it's too loud. IMO, whether it comes from a speaker or a guitar you're playing, if others can hear it you are imposing your music on them. They might respond politely, but as TheBar stated, they came to get away from it all. They didn't come there to hear your music, no matter how good or professional
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (37')
2011 SD F-250 Crewcab LB 4x4, 6.2 Gas, 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »
I've got an upright piano at the SB.  From time to time, I've played quite late at night.  Didn't know the neighbors could hear until my neighbor mentioned it one time.  Don't do that anymore.  I'm not good, but enjoy playing.  I would like to take my keyboard when we travel.  It's a 76 key Yamaha, so quite long.  As soon as I can convert the dinette into an office/desk/storage/music station, I will bring it.  However, I'll have the headphones plugged in so I don't get stoned.  And I'm not talking about the kind of stoned you get by smoking.  I'm only good enough to make myself happy :-[ 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

knucklebucket

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »
lol remind me not to stay at any of the grounds where all the nay sayers say no to music in the camp ground. if your truly trying to enjoy nature, then you are somewhere on a mountain ridge, or in the desert plain in a tent, roughing it as nature intended. most campgrounds I go to are filled with families, with kids and/or tourists and they are enjoying getting out of the city. respectful by far mostly they are, but nature quiet they ain't and I don't mind that. I am a touring musician, but when i'm camping in my luxury class A I always take an acoustic and more often than not will play for a bit if asked to do so. and I have never found anyone coming and telling me to quit, but again, I am respectful and don't do it all night. music fills the soul. it's not for everyone I get it. but nothing wrong with a good campfire jam.