Music at campsites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarjan

My husband and I are retirees who like to play music as a duo and also jam with others. We are new to RV life. Can we spontaneously play music at our evening campfire at campgrounds?  We both play acoustic guitar and sing. I also play harmonicas, and sometimes we add a cajon. We also have a small sound system we use for busking, but wouldn?t be using it at a campfire.

How do we find campgrounds where there are other amateur musicians who would like to join in?

Are there any in-campground music meetups?

Thanks!

Every day, begin again

guitarjan

I think it would depend on how close your are to your neighbors. Some may not mind ...Others may complain.

I always take a guitar with me when on vacation but the only place I took it outside was the BLM area by Quartzsite. The next RV was over 200 yards away.

If it's something you really want to do...You could go meet your neighbors prior to setting up to play and invite them to come enjoy the music. or let them know if it's a problem just to come over and say something.

Yo might check out Desert Gold RV Resort in Brenda, Arizna (just down the freeway from Quartzsite.  They have a large activity room and host many jams.
https://www.g7rvresorts.com/rv-park/desert-gold/

Adding to Gizmo's comments, you  might also wish to ask the campground hosts if it's OK.

FYI friends of ours stayed at state parks quite a bit, and they'd often ask the campground hosts or the camp social/entertainment director. They weren't refused and, when they'd start playing around the campfire, folks came out of the woodwork to listen &/or join in.

When we're camped at our summer retreat, I put a notice in the resort magazine asking folks to join us, either at our lot or in "the barn". One of the regular participating musicians plays a tuba, so not very quiet. We usually have an audience in either venue, and nobody has yet thrown fruit or veggies at us. OTOH I extend an offer to neighbors to join us, and I even offer to teach them how to play if they don't already. I've avoided turning on the sound system.

I love the sound of a cajon on appropriate songs, although it might be a bit loud for nearby neighbors.

Meanwhile, I'm reminded of a line from the Barbershop Society code of ethics:

We shall refrain from forcing our songs upon unsympathetic ears.

Hope to meet up with you at a campground and play music together.

Attachments

• Patio_jam2.jpg
    Patio_jam2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Barn_jam2.jpg
    Barn_jam2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Tuba_uke night-3.jpg
    Tuba_uke night-3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 39
Set up a couple of empty chairs at the campfire to make it easy for visitors to join in.

I don't want to hear any music from other campers. Its just noise to me.  I think as long as it is kept low volume, you might get away with it.

guitarjan said:
My husband and I are retirees who like to play music as a duo and also jam with others. We are new to RV life. Can we spontaneously play music at our evening campfire at campgrounds?  We both play acoustic guitar and sing. I also play harmonicas, and sometimes we add a cajon. We also have a small sound system we use for busking, but wouldn?t be using it at a campfire.

How do we find campgrounds where there are other amateur musicians who would like to join in?

Are there any in-campground music meetups?

Thanks!

guitarjan

http://borderzine.com/2010/06/slab-city-artists-play-their-music-free-and-easy/

I suggest investigating the nearest town for meetups, sing a longs and jam sessions. There are many available in just about every town of some size. I found a ranger at the Grand Canyon that had a monthly jam session that I attended every time I was at the Grand Canyon. So ask around, you might be surprised.

https://youtu.be/xr80JTLrm1E

Where are you?

I?m the director of a summer concert series in Watsonville, California.  It?s a nice park in the beautiful redwoods.  We do more than allow you to play, we give you an amphitheater to play in and free camping.  Usually there is a good audience.  50 - 125 people.

We?ve been in several RV parks that have weekly jams & open mics.  Crazy Horse in Lake Havasu, Catalina in Desert Hot Springs,  Las Quintas RV Resort in Yuma, Az. Park Place in Quartzite, AZ are the ones I remember.

I can recall, a few years ago, walking over to a nearby campsite to ask them to turn down their music. When I got there and discovered that it was livw, it was suddenly no longer objectionable. I went back, got a cair, and sat down to listen.

Joel

8Muddypaws said:
Where are you?

I?m the director of a summer concert series in Watsonville, California.  It?s a nice park in the beautiful redwoods.  We do more than allow you to play, we give you an amphitheater to play in and free camping.  Usually there is a good audience.  50 - 125 people.

We?ve been in several RV parks that have weekly jams & open mics.  Crazy Horse in Lake Havasu, Catalina in Desert Hot Springs,  Las Quintas RV Resort in Yuma, Az. Park Place in Quartzite, AZ are the ones I remember.

My daughters long term SO plays in bands in the Bay Area.  Not sure he'd be interested but also a musician and lives in the Silicone Valley.  Not sure if he writes but plays keys, guitar and possibly drums.  He's an hour and a half from Watsonville.  Not quite an avid RVer but they have a Sportsmobile and love camping.  If interested, what should he do?

Lowell said:
I don't want to hear any music from other campers. Its just noise to me.  I think as long as it is kept low volume, you might get away with it.
I don't want to sound like a miserable old goat but I feel the same way. I go camping for solitude, quiet conversation around a fire and the night sounds are the only entertainment I want.

Roy M said:
I don't want to sound like a miserable old goat but I feel the same way. I go camping for solitude, quiet conversation around a fire and the night sounds are the only entertainment I want.
We are a bit like that too.  I suppose if it was occasional it would be ok, but not every night.  How would folks feel if I had my D.I.S.C.O. music playing  ;D

jackiemac said:
We are a bit like that too.  I suppose if it was occasional it would be ok, but not every night.  How would folks feel if I had my D.I.S.C.O. music playing  ;D

D.I.S.C.O.. I'm starting to think your just not a stable person.

I would not be concerned about any music that is played quietly. A big group jam would probably be louder than polite. I always try to make sure sounds from my site don?t carry farther than the site. I have been next to people playing acoustic guitars and even a violin, and those were nice.

I love and pay mostly bluegrass, and there are many festivals of like minded folks, lots of times the music around the CG is more enjoyable than that n the stage.  Seek out festivals!

PancakeBill said:
I love and pay mostly bluegrass, and there are many festivals of like minded folks, lots of times the music around the CG is more enjoyable than that n the stage.  Seek out festivals!

Now we're talking......Love me some bluegrass.

We?re working a festival at the park in Watsonville Memorial Weekend.  Folkies, bluegrass, jazz, rock, blues, and whatever else strikes someone?s fancy.  One of the blues guys played with The Reverend Gary Davis for several years.  It should be interesting.  :) :) :)

Hit me with a PM if you want information.

Gizmo100 said:
D.I.S.C.O.. I'm starting to think your just not a stable person.
Neigh I'm just someo young  ;D

SeilerBird said:
Then I am not a stable person either. I love Disco. But then again I love all types of music without exception. I am a music lover.

I love everything except the freestyle jazz, like Chloe Laine. Just can't get the rhythm of that at all.  :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom