Music at campsites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PancakeBill said:
I love and pay mostly bluegrass, and there are many festivals of like minded folks, lots of times the music around the CG is more enjoyable than that n the stage.  Seek out festivals!

To be fair, I've not heard anyone playing at any campground we have been to, so I might change my mind. I do think folk have to be respectful and considerate about noise (and lights) around the campsite.

We are going to have to seek out live music this year I think as it's not something we've come across very often.

One of our best experiences was before camping we stayed at The Mexican Hat Motel in 2006/7, the "home of the swinging steak".  Whilst eating said steak, a band played country music in the garage, or barn, and it was fun!  They cooked steaks on a grill that swung over the BBQ fire. Unfortunately the steaks were a bit chewy  ;D  Great memory.

jackiemac said:
We are going to have to seek out live music this year I think as it's not something we've come across very often.
Are you still planning on coming to the 49er Encampment in Death Valley this November? There is music in Sunset and Fiddler?s campgrounds for sure, at least some of the week. Sunset usually has a real stage set up with amplification, but they shut it off promptly at quiet hours. Fiddlers is more casual jams at the campsites. Old time western, American folks tunes, and bluegrass predominates.

I'm loving what I'm see here.  Was wondering about this. 

My son is off to school in the fall to get a performance degree in New York City.  It's great to see so many musician into camping.  I've had live music played at home just about everyday for the past 10 year it will be cool to still get that some out RV'ing.       

UTTransplant said:
Are you still planning on coming to the 49er Encampment in Death Valley this November? There is music in Sunset and Fiddler?s campgrounds for sure, at least some of the week. Sunset usually has a real stage set up with amplification, but they shut it off promptly at quiet hours. Fiddlers is more casual jams at the campsites. Old time western, American folks tunes, and bluegrass predominates.
Yes, we are! Thanks for the tips!

Jackie or anyone else interested in the Death Valley 49er Encampment and the music, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the latest 49er newsletter. It has descriptions of the many activities and musical opportunities that will there this year plus some information about last year?s Encampment to whet your appetite. Note that musicians are encouraged to play at the Coyote Howl on Wednesday night so practice a piece and be prepared to perform.

UTTransplant said:
Jackie or anyone else interested in the Death Valley 49er Encampment and the music, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the latest 49er newsletter. It has descriptions of the many activities and musical opportunities that will there this year plus some information about last year?s Encampment to whet your appetite. Note that musicians are encouraged to play at the Coyote Howl on Wednesday night so practice a piece and be prepared to perform.
A triangle is my limit in musical instruments and I am tone deaf but would manage a howl  ;D

A triangle was the only thing they let me play in elementary school  :(

Roy M said:
I don't want to sound like a miserable old goat but I feel the same way. I go camping for solitude, quiet conversation around a fire and the night sounds are the only entertainment I want.

I'm a regularly-gigging solo musician -- and I AGREE! I'll definitely be playing my guitar when we're camping, even outside. But it'll be very low volume (conversation level) and I wouldn't think of playing so loudly that it would bother our neighbors....

I?m with you on that.  I?ve had folks in the next site ask me to play louder a few times.  I?ve used a small amp with headphones so I could play with a JamMan Solo looper.  Thinking of getting a tonewood amp, ever used one?

Sorry, dont want to offend, but we love the quiet at campgrounds.  I like to hear the sounds of birds, owls, etc.  not everyone likes the same type of music.  I play piano and I love almost all genres of music, except jazz.  So if someone in the site next to me was playing up some jazz every night, i would probably pack up and leave. 

As a performing musician for almost 40 years it is my Humble Opinion(and my experience) that if the musicians are really good, then hardly anyone will complain, as long as the players respect the rights of their neighbors to get a good nights sleep.  8)

Peggyy said:
Sorry, dont want to offend, but we love the quiet at campgrounds.  I like to hear the sounds of birds, owls, etc.  not everyone likes the same type of music.  I play piano and I love almost all genres of music, except jazz.  So if someone in the site next to me was playing up some jazz every night, i would probably pack up and leave.

X2. I am a musician myself playing keyboard and guitar since I was 4 years old. But at home. For many working stiffs camping is about enjoying nature and getting away from it all. I don't mind someone playing music respectfully for an hour but nobody should dominate their neighbors entire evening. Especially if alcohol is involved since it always increases the volume and singing every note loud and flat. Which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

TheBar said:
X2. I am a musician myself playing keyboard and guitar since I was 4 years old. But at home. For many working stiffs camping is about enjoying nature and getting away from it all. I don't mind someone playing music respectfully for an hour but nobody should dominate their neighbors entire evening. Especially if alcohol is involved since it always increases the volume and singing every note loud and flat. Which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

X3. Most of the time I sit out, it is next to the fire with no music. Very occasionally, I have a bluetooth speaker on, sitting next to me. When I have the speaker on I check the volume carefully by walking about halfway to the nearest camper - if I can hear mine, at all, it's too loud. IMO, whether it comes from a speaker or a guitar you're playing, if others can hear it you are imposing your music on them. They might respond politely, but as TheBar stated, they came to get away from it all. They didn't come there to hear your music, no matter how good or professional

I've got an upright piano at the SB.  From time to time, I've played quite late at night.  Didn't know the neighbors could hear until my neighbor mentioned it one time.  Don't do that anymore.  I'm not good, but enjoy playing.  I would like to take my keyboard when we travel.  It's a 76 key Yamaha, so quite long.  As soon as I can convert the dinette into an office/desk/storage/music station, I will bring it.  However, I'll have the headphones plugged in so I don't get stoned.  And I'm not talking about the kind of stoned you get by smoking.  I'm only good enough to make myself happy :-[ 

lol remind me not to stay at any of the grounds where all the nay sayers say no to music in the camp ground. if your truly trying to enjoy nature, then you are somewhere on a mountain ridge, or in the desert plain in a tent, roughing it as nature intended. most campgrounds I go to are filled with families, with kids and/or tourists and they are enjoying getting out of the city. respectful by far mostly they are, but nature quiet they ain't and I don't mind that. I am a touring musician, but when i'm camping in my luxury class A I always take an acoustic and more often than not will play for a bit if asked to do so. and I have never found anyone coming and telling me to quit, but again, I am respectful and don't do it all night. music fills the soul. it's not for everyone I get it. but nothing wrong with a good campfire jam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom