THOMAS IN UTAH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredethomas

Moderator Emeritus
June 1st Daisy and I arrived at the KOA in Vernal, Ut. to meet again with Jim and Terry Johnson.  We will be touring the Flaming Gorge area.

Daisy and I stayed at Torrey's Thousand Lakes RV park [ Capitol Reef] for a week after the other forum group left.  We "Jeeped" many hundreds of miles in that week.  Not so much fun without our forum family but still great trips.  In Teasdale we happened across a Bald Eagles nest with two eagles tending a massive nest.  It was in a farm yard neat the main highway.  Ranger said it is the only one she as seen in her years ranging that area.  We found a high plateau in one of the mountains there that over looked the valley, where we had a traditional forum style lunch.

We drove all around the Fish Lake - lake cruising all the many campgrounds looking for parking sites for the future.

After Torrey - we drove to Green River where we spent a week at Shady Acres RV.  Thought Green River would be a bummer for sight seeing but Daisy came through.  She visited the local information center and came away with car\Jeep trip maps for some 2000 miles of back country trips.  We went on some and were stricken with the splendor of the region.  It is part of the same lifting and erosion that formed Capitol Reef.  The mesas, canyons, and weird rock formations are like Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion.  The roads in the back country are a thousand times easier than QZ - all being well graded gravel.  They wind down deep in the canyons and then up on rolling ranch lands.  Can't tell you how beautiful the area is.  We would have traveled to many more of the POI's but were reluctant to go so far  alone.  Some trips were forty or more miles into the upheaval.  If you look at a map of Utah that covers highway 24 between Hanksville and Green River you will see Goblin State Park.  The road that goes west toward the park in blacktoped.  The campground in the state park has blacktoped sites of several different lengths.  I have recorded the lengths of them. 

Down the same road BLM has created two new campsites.  They are parkling lot style with toilets.  One will hold 50 to 75 rigs and the other ten or so in comfort.  Both are in the middle of an old [1950's] mining area.  Spectacular country.  Gravel roads are flat, graded and wind through many canyons.  These are all open to vehicle travel.  All back in through there are areas were campers have built fireplaces and set rocks for chairs around the fire pits.  We are going back next year and cover some more of the area.  This is easy off road traveling - not like some of the rough trips in QZ.

Daisy and I reserved a site at Thousand Lakes for next May 8th for a week.  We will leave for there after Moab.  Will then go toward Green River but stopping for a few days of dry camping in one of the BL M camps.  From there probably on to Shady Acres in Green River and do some more backroading there.  This area has got to be the most spectacular in all the the USA.  Thousands of square miles of rock formations showing over 400 million years of strata. 

Raining here today in Vernal but we will travel some blacktopped roads through the Flaming Gorge area.  Had a tour of the dam yesterday on a short trip. 

Connecting via Johnsons Data Link system.

Fred,

We have found the Area Green River Ut to be as interesting as you have.  The Fitzgeralds and us spent some time there again on or way to Moab.  Did you go out to either of the cold water Geysers?  They are interesting.  We intend to go back again on our way to Moab 2006.

Thanks for sharing.

We celebrated Fred and  Daisy's 49th anniversary today with a visit to Flaming Gorge and a ride around Sheep Creek Loop.  I will not even try to describe the views but will attach some examples.

Attachments

• P6020015 (Small).JPG
    P6020015 (Small).JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P6020022 (Small).JPG
    P6020022 (Small).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 52
  • P6020032 (Small).JPG
    P6020032 (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 51
That middle picture sold me (looking out over the reservoir). I think Mike and I will have to do this area before or after next year's Moab gathering. Or maybe we should try it out in the fall? It's not really that far for us and it's not like we have anything else to do!

We're having a yard sale tomorrow to start getting rid of all our 'stuff'. I'm still convinced we'll be full-timing in less than 2 years. Any helpful hints on getting to that point appreciated!

I've always thought that if WHEN we start full-timing, I could easily spend 2-3 years in Utah before we ever get anywhere else.

Wendy

We are working on an idea to leave Moab on the 8th of May 2006, drive the 170 miles to Thousand Lakes RV in Torrey, Ut [Capitol Reef] for five days, then about 70 miles up 191 to Goblin State Park for a few days, then to Green River for four or five, then to Vernal [Flaming Gorge area] for a few days before splitting up and going our own way.  This would allow car trips to the most sceanic areas of Utah.  Most of the area where the pictures that Jim Johnson posted could be viewed in real life.

Fred,

Maybe next year Sheila and I will skip Moab (which we planned to do), but join you and Daisy after Moab at Torrey.

Have a great summer.

Ken

Fred,

We're planning on visiting some of the places where you went this year, both before and after Moab next year.  As the rally dates approach, we should be able to put together some groups.  Looking forward to it.  It's always more fun with others along.

That sounds great.  We were also planning on hanging around in Utah/Colorado after the ralley and seeing some that part of the country.

An RV Forum caravan!

Maybe Fred will even point out the place they tested the 1st atom bomb.

joelmyer said:
That sounds great.  We were also planning on hanging around in Utah/Colorado after the rally and seeing some that part of the country.

An RV Forum caravan!

Joel

Wasn't that at White Sands, NM ??? We were at a rally in Las Cruces this past April and were driving to Alamogordo and found that the site was open one day a year and that was the day. Unfortunately, we were too late to get out and see the monument.

joelmyer said:

Joel,

The Enola Gay crew trained at the Wendover Army Air Field west of Salt Lake City.  They flew practice runs on Salt Lake City because it was a similar layout to their targets in Japan.  The old base is near the Salt Flats track where speed runs are made in late summer.

After WW2, Yucca Mountain, NV was used for atom bomb testing.  Fallout rained over southern Utah.

Phil

Joel:  I pointed out to Binninger's and Dicks one time that the bomb was tested near Yuma.  They bought into it for a while.  Had a good laugh.

Ken and Sheila:  This is the kind of country you will really like.  In a letter I wrote to Calendar Girl - I suggested you take two weeks next year and that the Dicks change their travel schedule and come back this year.  Problem is having only a week is ok for Capitol Reef but to go on to Goblin State Park, Green River, Red Fleet and Flaming Gorge needs you to take a month off.  This is some country.  Johnsons and us are leaving Vernal on Sunday morning and traveling  a whole ten miles to Red Fleet State Park.  We should have the whole place to ourselves and have a view that is unbeatable.  I hope we decide to spend the rest of the summer here.  We have put hundreds of miles on the toads in the last few days and seen dynamic landscapes [Terry Johnson and Daisys words for the diescription].

Fred

>> We have put hundreds of miles on the toads in the last few days and seen dynamic landscapes <<

Shhhh....Don't tell Smoky.<G>

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Fred,

I still wish I could have seen Daisy's reaction when Margi called back on the CB. ;D Pat had to voice edit the  video tape she was making!

Missed your suggestion to return next year. Sure wish we could but need to take it easy for a year. Miss the beach so I'll spend quite a bit of time there this year.

So far I have not gotten any work. :( Seems the bad weather in the Northeast this spring has kept people from buying. I'm hoping it will change soon. Weather has been pretty nice the past few days.

Terry A. Brewer said:
>> We have put hundreds of miles on the toads in the last few days and seen dynamic landscapes <<

Shhhh....Don't tell Smoky.<G>

Terry

You took the words right out of my mouth ;D ;D ;D

June 7th.  Johnsons and us are at Red Fleet.  Came in on the 5th.  Jim set up the DirectWay a few minutes ago.  Daisy and I will be here until the 30th while Jim and Terry leave the 16th.  Having high wind today and heavy rain yesterday.  We will be driving the five or six self guided tours beginning tomorrow.

We are parked on blacktop - on a high part of the State Park that over looks the Red Fleet Lake and the ancient petrified sand dunes.  Was rated  the finest dry camping campground in the nations state operated system.  There is one other RV here at this time.

To Jim Dick;  Think you should change your plans and come with us next spring.  There are trails to drive, pictures to take that you will not want to miss.

Fred:

I'm afraid our days of month long trips are past for at last the next three years. Were are taking three weeks off over the summer, but it will be three one week trips. Now that Sheila is working also it is hard to even coordinate a two week trip. Next summer may be eaiser.

Anyway I plan to oime to Moab for the last weekend and then go to Capital Reef next year.

Hey Jim, come along!!

Ken

fredethomas said:
June 7th.  Johnsons and us are at Red Fleet.  Came in on the 5th.  Jim set up the DirectWay a few minutes ago.  Daisy and I will be here until the 30th while Jim and Terry leave the 16th.  Having high wind today and heavy rain yesterday.  We will be driving the five or six self guided tours beginning tomorrow.

We are parked on blacktop - on a high part of the State Park that over looks the Red Fleet Lake and the ancient petrified sand dunes.  Was rated  the finest dry camping campground in the nations state operated system.  There is one other RV here at this time.

To Jim Dick;  Think you should change your plans and come with us next spring.  There are trails to drive, pictures to take that you will not want to miss.

Fred,

I know I'll be sad but we just won't be able to make it. I need to buy new tires before our next trip west. ;D I'm beginning to think next year will be my last year to work but I'm concerned with the way the government has allowed UA to default on their retirement benefits. I fear GM will be next. That won't help our economy in the least Will just have to play it by ear.

To All;  Johnsons and us went on  an incredible trip today.  We are still at Red Fleet and went on one of the "Milepost" type self auto tours to Jones Hole National Fish Hatchery.  There are seven? of these hatcheries in the USA.  The trip to the hatchery located N 40 35.257, W109 03.431 and within a few feet of the Colorado State line in Utah.  The road runs through beautiful ranch lands and dips down to a low of 5300 feet.  It then climbs  Diamond Mountain for the next eight miles were it runs along a rim with steep canyons on either side.  Then for miles there are cattle and sheep ranches stretched out over long rolling hills with streams and intervals.  As we got near the hatchery the road goes into a steep decent through an area like the Grand Canyon.  We went down from over 8000 feet to 5200 again.  The hatchery is huge and is located right at the foot of a canyon wall that towers many hundreds of feet straight up.  The wall is hundreds of layers of mudstone, sandstone and limestone with the layers almost perfectly horizontal.  We could not get over the dynamics of the rock formations.  The hatchery delivers 2 million fish to various lakes and to the Colorado River each year.  The stream that feeds it is totally free of fish disease and is a constant year around 57 degrees - the best temperature for trout hatching.

We had lunch there on a stone picnic table warmed by the sun and tried to classify which of the areas we have visited was the most remarkable.  Moab, Capitol Reef, Flaming Gorge or some the back country trails we have been over.  An impossible task as each is different but we seem to agree that Grand Canyon is over rated by far.

Tomorrow at 17 minutes before 10 we start on another journey.  Today we finished off with various ice cream and or pie dishes in the town of Vernal, Ut.

The park here has one other motorhome now and during the day a fisherman or two show up.  Our coach windshields are facing the lake and mountains to the east north east and up on a high point in the park.  What a view.

Sounds like you guys are really enjoying yourselves.  It is beautiful country.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  Got any photos to share?

Back
Top Bottom