Help scared newbie cross the Rockies to Hwy 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opie2019

First trip. 32’ MH towing Jeep. Leaving central Arkansas, over night in Salina, KS then to Denver where we're planning on staying in Cherry Creek SP for a few days. From there I'd love to travel Hwy 101 down the Washington-Oregon coast then head back toward Arkansas. I'm slightly terrified of crossing the mountains. The steep grades just scare the dickins out of me. Since this is our maiden voyage, I'd like to cut down on any possible “incidents” like a nervous breakdown or careening off a mountain.  Can anyone suggest a route? Campgrounds? Thank you.

Opie2019 said:
First trip. 32? MH towing Jeep.2 dogs and a husband.

Put the 2 dogs and the husband in the MH then you only have to tow the Jeep.  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, just take it slow and you'll be fine. At the top of the hills slow down to the speed that you want to descend the hill.

I would go north out of Denver to I-80 west to I-15 to I-84 to I-82 to I-90 to Seattle.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Put the 2 dogs and the husband in the MH then you only have to tow the Jeep.  ;D ;D ;D

That?s some funny stuff right there?. I edited it so it wouldn?t appear  I?m dragging my husband and 2 dogs down the road.

Get behind a loaded truck and stay there until you get to the flats.  Interstate highways are not particularly steep or close to drop offs. If you can handle the Ozark hills you will have no problems on the interstates through the Rockies and coast range.

If you do need to slow down on a down grade, do NOT gently push down on the brake. Jab it down hard and then let it up completely, as soon as you are slowed down.

I go over rocky mtn passes probably 25 times a year, use the tow/haul function and let it do its thing, go as slow as you need to to be comfortable, don?t worry about people behind you. I travel mostly on 285, but I-70 isn?t that bad either.

Interstates have little grade and 101 is a non-issue.  Unless you get VERY adventuresome, you will not have a problem.  Personally I seek out those routes that others warn about.

I see two posts above saying that Interstates are not very steep. But I-70 west of Denver has a number of 5% and 6% grades, which I'd consider fairly steep, especially since a few are several miles long, and they have runaway truck ramps periodically. In fact I-70 was closed the other day for over 24 hours, due to a semi that plowed into some traffic that was slowed/stopped for an accident ahead. Video showed a huge fireball, and 28 vehicle were involved, four people killed. The driver says his brakes failed -- that's normally what can happen when brakes are improperly used on steep descents.

For the OP, the big principal involved is to not ride the brakes -- you MUST gear down. On the steeper sections that will often, depending on your vehicle, mean being slow enough to be in a gear low enough that you don't need brakes very much, say briefly every minute or two. An oft-quoted rule is to go down hills in the same gear you would need to go up that hill, but I'd add the caveat that if you're needing brakes every few seconds or if you need to apply them for more than 5-10 seconds every couple of minutes, then you're too fast.

I'd agree that I-80 through Wyoming isn't nearly as bad as I-70, and that's also true of I-40 through Albuquerque.

Welcome to the RV Forum Opie2019

If you've done much driving in the Ozarks then you will have a good idea what to expect.

Just remember driving a RV is NOT a  Nascar event. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

You've been given some good advise regarding the brakes. Depending on your setup, Use those lower gears as much as possible.

I80/I84 is probably your best nortern route.  The I80 pass is relatively tame as I remember.  More scary will be Cabbage Hill on I84 east of Pendelton, OR.  That is one long decent out of the Blue Mountains to the Columbia plateau.  Just remember trucks travel those roads all the time.  99.9% of them do it with no problem.  Just remember when going down hill DO NOT ride the brakes.  Brake hard to get under your desired speed and get off the brakes to let them cool.  Keep your speed down below 40 and you will be fine.

I was in your shoes two years ago. All good advice with the possible exception of following a loaded truck. I?ve encountered many trucks in the mountains traveling at insane speeds.

If you have a gas coach you will have to be more cautious managing your downhills.
As previously mentioned be sure to be in a low enough gear to control your speed with minimal braking.

Never be intimidated by traffic backing up behind you, going up or down.

Tom

NMDriver said:
Get behind a loaded truck and stay there until you get to the flats.  Interstate highways are not particularly steep or close to drop offs. If you can handle the Ozark hills you will have no problems on the interstates through the Rockies and coast range.

If you do need to slow down on a down grade, do NOT gently push down on the brake. Jab it down hard and then let it up completely, as soon as you are slowed down.

Thank you!

NMDriver said:

Thank you.

Larry N. said:
I see two posts above saying that Interstates are not very steep. But I-70 west of Denver has a number of 5% and 6% grades, which I'd consider fairly steep, especially since a few are several miles long, and they have runaway truck ramps periodically. In fact I-70 was closed the other day for over 24 hours, due to a semi that plowed into some traffic that was slowed/stopped for an accident ahead. Video showed a huge fireball, and 28 vehicle were involved, four people killed. The driver says his brakes failed -- that's normally what can happen when brakes are improperly used on steep descents.

For the OP, the big principal involved is to not ride the brakes -- you MUST gear down. On the steeper sections that will often, depending on your vehicle, mean being slow enough to be in a gear low enough that you don't need brakes very much, say briefly every minute or two. An oft-quoted rule is to go down hills in the same gear you would need to go up that hill, but I'd add the caveat that if you're needing brakes every few seconds or if you need to apply them for more than 5-10 seconds every couple of minutes, then you're too fast.

I'd agree that I-80 through Wyoming isn't nearly as bad as I-70, and that's also true of I-40 through Albuquerque.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Heli_av8tor said:
I was in your shoes two years ago. All good advice with the possible exception of following a loaded truck. I?ve encountered many trucks in the mountains traveling at insane speeds.

If you have a gas coach you will have to be more cautious managing your downhills.
As previously mentioned be sure to be in a low enough gear to control your speed with minimal braking.

Never be intimidated by traffic backing up behind you, going up or down.

Tom

Thank you!

I?m trying to say thanks to all the replys but navigating this site has some learning curves. Thank you all.

Opie2019 said:
I?m trying to say thanks to all the replys but navigating this site has some learning curves. Thank you all.

I think you just did ;D ;D

What parts of AR are you from....I lived in Conway for 20 years and the Wife and I are working on moving back to AR...Hopefully soon.

We live in Conway on Lake Beaverfork! Conway has grown by leaps and bounds these last 20 years. Welcome home?

I'm with Donn.
For what you are planning, after Denver, going north to Cheyenne and take I-80 and I-84 will serve you better. There are still some hills to deal with, but nothing quite like I-70 through Summit County and Vail. fFor the record, I am a seasoned driver, and I HATE I-70. Too many vehicles, all in too big a hurry. It is no fun at all. (But we still make that run regularly) 

Having said that, if you DO take I-70, be patient, take your time, and mind your speed.
Make sure to fuel up before leaving Denver area. 
If you can, disable OverDrive going up and down the big hills, and downshift BEFORE starting down the hill. Make that drive during the week, if you can. Or even at night. The Weekend traffic can be miserable.
Stop and rest a a couple of times, particularly if you feel stressed. Idaho Springs and Georgetown are nice rest stops where you can gather your wits and unwind a bit before/after tackling the big hills.  Same with Silverthorne and the Vail-Eagle area.

There is some beautiful scenery and some nice places to stop and enjoy it, and some nice restaurants and cafes along the way.

It should be mentioned that it's not unusual ascending steep mountains that your speed can drop as low as 35-40 mph, towing or not if you have a gas coach. And descending your safe speed could be the same.

Back
Top Bottom