Help scared newbie cross the Rockies to Hwy 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before starting on 101 in Oregon, you may want to check to see if it is open.  The last I heard it was closed due to slide activity.

I too would suggest I-80 over I-70, US-287 (co-running with other highway numbers along the way) which runs from Port Arthur TX, through Dallas, then Denver and on to Yellowstone and points beyond makes for a good somewhat scenic at least off the interstate route.  I have driven nearly the entire length excluding down town DFW and Denver,  in bits and pieces on multiple trips over the last few years. The drive from Fort Collins CO, to Laramie WY is nice, and an easy drive.

Opie2019 said:
We live in Conway on Lake Beaverfork! Conway has grown by leaps and bounds these last 20 years. Welcome home?

Not home yet..LOL..But getting closer...We will be up that way this week for a visit. Going to the big town of Barney. When I moved to Conway the population was around 15,000 it has to be pushing close to 70,000 now. We are looking at small towns around the area.

Our goal is a lakefront home on a fishing lake. Right now I'm looking at Lake Burnett, Lake Overcup and maybe Lake Conway on the northwest side.

Isaac-1 said:
I too would suggest I-80 over I-70, US-287 (co-running with other highway numbers along the way) which runs from Port Arthur TX, through Dallas, then Denver and on to Yellowstone and points beyond makes for a good somewhat scenic at least off the interstate route.  I have driven nearly the entire length excluding down town DFW and Denver,  in bits and pieces on multiple trips over the last few years. The drive from Fort Collins CO, to Laramie WY is nice, and an easy drive.

Thanks!

I remember my first trip across the contential Divide.. 7% (And as I recall a few steeper) grades.

Now I am blessed with an ALLISON transmission and that takes some of the load off  But Try not to pass any semi's is the best advice I can give. at least not going DOWN hill.. Now there are two schools of braking.. I will bow to folks who do more mountain driving on which one is best.

I drove all over UT, AZ, NM, and CO in a 20 year old gasser towing a small car about 10 years ago. We had no problems with the grades. (Crossing over from I15 to US89 on Utah20 made me pucker a bit when we got to the top and found the downhill side was 8%.  :eek:) Just take them slow and easy and stay off the brakes as much as possible. The one problem we did have was a blow out on the towed. I strongly recommend a TPMS system for all 10 wheels (or 12 if you have a tag axle).  :D

I really don't understand why people driving coast to coast obsess so much over this, we are talking about 15-20 miles stretch of road in 2 or 3 places on a 2,000+ mile drive.

Isaac-1 said:
I really don't understand why people driving coast to coast obsess so much over this, we are talking about 15-20 miles stretch of road in 2 or 3 places on a 2,000+ mile drive.
I agree.  You have received excellent advice here.  If you follow the suggestions, you will have no problem.  When you once again reach flatland you will probably wonder why it seemed so scary.  Have a great trip!

Isaac-1 said:

Perhaps it's because of the unfamiliarity with a potential safety problem if it's not done right. Those "few" miles could be a killer if mishandled, but are no big deal if you're a veteran of doing this (but you still don't dare be careless). Flying a Cub around the pattern is no big deal to me, but could be a killer to someone who's only experience is with a simulation on a PC.

It's definitely worth being sufficiently concerned to learn how to do it right, and some folks HAVE died over the years from not doing it right. Not everyone is an instant expert.

Larry N. said:
Perhaps it's because of the unfamiliarity with a potential safety problem if it's not done right. Those "few" miles could be a killer if mishandled, but are no big deal if you're a veteran of doing this (but you still don't dare be careless). Flying a Cub around the pattern is no big deal to me, but could be a killer to someone who's only experience is with a simulation on a PC.

It's definitely worth being sufficiently concerned to learn how to do it right, and some folks HAVE died over the years from not doing it right. Not everyone is an instant expert.

That is exactly right. A trucker just learned the hard way, here in Colorado. He tried riding his brakes to maintain speed coming down from the mountains. When he burned his brakes out, he picked up too much speed and plowed into stalled traffic and killed 4 people.

An RV might not end with quite as deadly side effects, but I guarantee you it would be a scary ride down the hill if you don't do it right.

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the time you take to give tips and support. It?s a big help.

Decide where you want to arrive at the coast and avoid the Seattle area if you can. The traffic is insane about 20 hours per day.

Blues Driver said:
Decide where you want to arrive at the coast and avoid the Seattle area if you can. The traffic is insane about 20 hours per day.
That goes for Portland, too.

Because this is your first venture I agree that you should go north from Denver area to I-80 and west from there.  It's an easier drive to my way of thinking.  The Rockies are pretty but I-70 is the one interstate that has grades over 6 percent.  Elevations also are higher on I-70 (over 11,000 feet) than on I-80 (over 7,000 feet).  You'll be at high elevations on I-80 but the grades are more gentle and easier for someone who is new to motorhoming and towing a car.  It's pretty country out here and there's a lot to see so I hope you have an enjoyable trip!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom