Unreliable Ideal Rest bed is gone ... ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc Roads

I replaced the Ideal Rest bed after a year of malfunctions and fiddling with it.  The last straw was a total failure of one side to inflate ... so ...  I replaced it with the RV King foam mattress sold at Costco.  After a week of sleeping well, it gets a thumbs up!  The R&R of the Ideal Rest was easy ... should have done it after the first troubleshooting session!

I threw our Sleep Number bed away after two failures of the handheld controller. Now we have a Tempurpedic (sp?) in the coach and liked it so much we have two in the house.

The aid bladder type of bed is a good concept for an RV due to its diminutive weight but I believe the design and engineering leaves a lot to be desired. One last point is manufacturer's will customize existing product lines for Winnebago. I took apart my Sleep Number control/pump box just for grins and there were lots of empty holes on the pc board for features that got left off for their custom build.

The air bed concept is spot on for weight and service delivery ... perhaps the reliability of the OEM bed will improve over time.  Unfortunately, I gave up on the Ideal Rest and I have a good nights sleep on a low tech alternative.  Sleep, good sleep, is the desired outcome ... Zzzzzzzzz ... age has enhanced the appreciation of this aspect of life. ... for me ... just do what works ... Zzzzzzz  ... good ... night ... Zzzzzz .... Zzzzzz ...

I threw ours away. Biggest problem was the hard ridge in the center due to the use of two bladders. Even with a topper, it was very uncomfortable.

Ernie

Ditched my Sleep Number from the 2011 Adventurer 5 years ago.  If a pressure change was needed at night the sound of the bladder pump would awaken me.  Bought a custom memory foam mattress and haven't looked back.  The nice folks at  Winnebago thought more of weight and manufacturing $$ than customer satisfaction with the Sleep Number.  Best use the Sleep Number for guests that you don't want to stay for very long.......

Quality of sleep was great ... great concept to have the precise loft for your body and sleep ? ... reliability was not so good ... too many nights of waking up to either pump up my side (wake up DW) or bottom out on the base ...  the replacement mattress is performing well after several weeks of slumber ... thanks for the insights and comments, appreciate the communication!

Hello,

For those of you that replaced your Ideal bed with foam..I am wondering if you have the tilt-a-bed design?  We have had problems with our Ideal bed and had to replace pump and bladder on one side.  We thought about going to foam but was told no guarantees that the foam would hold up to the constant bending.  Any comment?  Also wondering if you installed any type of moisture barrier as well?

Dave

DaveRB55 said:
Hello,

For those of you that replaced your Ideal bed with foam..I am wondering if you have the tilt-a-bed design?  We have had problems with our Ideal bed and had to replace pump and bladder on one side.  We thought about going to foam but was told no guarantees that the foam would hold up to the constant bending.  Any comment?  Also wondering if you installed any type of moisture barrier as well?

Dave

I wondered that every time I opened our tilt a bed and then I stopped worrying about it and all was good!! :D. After all you compress it all night when you sleep on it and probably with more force than opening up the tilt a bed. 

And yes the sleep number bed wasn't working when we bought ours and replaced with a Walmart.com expandafoam thingy.  Just take it in before you open it!!

We have the tilt bed design and replaced the Ideal Rest with a foam mattress ... so far, no impacts, just good sleep ... we?ve moved the coach multiple times without any negative results involving the foam mattress ... bought our foam mattress from Costco ... RV Queen ?

I have the Ideal Rest in my 2014 Adventurer 38Q and I am stating to have issues. I am curious as to how your foam mattresses have held up over the past 3-4 years?

We removed and put our "Ideal Rest" into storage 3 years ago and have never missed it even for a second.

Just before we replaced it one of the cords from the handheld remote got pinched in the bed tilt mechanism and wouldn't work. I spent a couple hours splicing the teeny tiny wires back together and I thought, "Why do I need to rewire a mattress just to use it?" A week later the new California King foam mattress from "Leesa" was installed in our Adventurer.

About the folding/storing thing... in three years we've had zero problems.

Back
Top Bottom