How to Determine Which 1995 Damon Challenger Model a Non-RV Dealer is Selling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My '89 coach was wired for the second a/c(but didn't have it).  There was a selector switch that said "front" or "rear", so yes, running only one a/c at a time was a thing, especially if it was only a 30amp coach.  Later 30amp coaches(my present '00 Bounder for example)have an energy management system that allows both a/c's to run at the same time.
Anyone who runs the house a/c's while rolling down the road is probably running their generator at the same time.  We do this regularly when traveling in the Southwest.
There are both roof vents with fans and just plain vents.  I have 3 vents in my coach, 2 with fans and one without.  There are a couple of different kinds of fans too.  My vent in the toilet area has a little 4"-5" fan in one corner of the vent.  My vent in the salon area has a fan that takes up the whole vent.  The vent near the shower is just a vent.

Old_Crow said:
My '89 coach was wired for the second a/c(but didn't have it).  There was a selector switch that said "front" or "rear", so yes, running only one a/c at a time was a thing, especially if it was only a 30amp coach.  Later 30amp coaches(my present '00 Bounder for example)have an energy management system that allows both a/c's to run at the same time.
Anyone who runs the house a/c's while rolling down the road is probably running their generator at the same time.  We do this regularly when traveling in the Southwest.
There are both roof vents with fans and just plain vents.  I have 3 vents in my coach, 2 with fans and one without.  There are a couple of different kinds of fans too.  My vent in the toilet area has a little 4"-5" fan in one corner of the vent.  My vent in the salon area has a fan that takes up the whole vent.  The vent near the shower is just a vent.

Hi Wally,

Great, that confirms my suspicions that there's probably a way to route power around to the A/C units, depending on the situation, and I'm guessing that various packages came wired for increasing flexibility ... at increased cost.  Fortunately, if the wiring comes together at a central point, aka the breaker box, and if it's wired in a fixed configuration, I can add in the ability to switch, if needed.  It's entirely possible that the owner/dealer isn't even completely aware of how to work everything, and one thing I did notice when pawing through the paperwork was the name and address of the original (elderly) owner.

It's been three years since he traded the MH in on a much smaller, more useful vehicle, and if he's still able and willing to talk about these sorts of questions, I can ask him, if the current owner isn't completely up-to-speed on everything.  We're going to get a complete dump on how everything operates when we take possession, that we didn't get a chance to exercise during the initial walk-through because there was no shore power or water where it was being stored.  We didn't start the genny because the mechanic is going to do that when he does his inspection, probably next week.

The fanless vents aren't a surprise, especially given the dual A/C units (triple, counting the dash system) and, since it's not wildly hot where we'll normally be in the mountains Out Here, one A/C unit running may be enough, perhaps only running in fan mode, at that.  If there is no ability to run the aft A/C from shore power, I may have to at least initially swap the power between the two units so that Mary can be comfortable in the bedroom when we're on shore power for the month of June at the KOA in Billings, while I'm doing research at the MSU campus there during the day.

We'll be backed up to the Yellowstone River, though, and given that it was snowmelt a day or three earlier, it may provide most, if not all, of the cool air we'll need.  Plus, there will be trees on the South side of the RV, the same side as the river, possibly further reducing the need for A/C.  In July, we'll be in faculty housing while I'm doing research at MSU Bozeman, and we hope to be able to make some weekend trips to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs, as well as the Big Sky ski/golf resort about an hour South of Bozeman, and Points Beyond, if the Challenger is up to The Challenge.  If there's enough tow capacity, we'll bring a small emergency/local-trip vehicle along, or at the very minimum, a small motorcycle, scooter, or other street-legal way to get around at much more than 8 - 10 mpg.

I do hope that the Challenger's model name isn't a harbinger of a disaster, as befell the Space Shuttle of the same name, but, I don't plan on going airborne, let alone into orbit.  That can be easier done than said on some of the roads Out Here in the Mountain West, though, if you're not paying enough attention to the "8% Grade" and "Sharp Turns Next 77 Miles" signs!  You haven't lived until you've descended past that latter exact sign going Southwest out of Prescott on AZ-89, heading toward Blythe, CA, on I-10 at the Colorado River ... towing a trailer, even an itty-bitty 4 x 6 foot U-Haul ... late at night.

Thanks again for more very useful info and All the Best,
Jim

jim_manley said:
I do hope that the Challenger's model name isn't a harbinger of a disaster, as befell the Space Shuttle of the same name

Maybe it was named after the Dodge Challenger ??  ;) ;D ???

Fogetty said:
Maybe it was named after the Dodge Challenger ??  ;) ;D ???

Hi Fogetty,

I actually thought the same thing - that was the cat's meow when it came to muscle cars when I was a kid ... at least if you were a Dodge fan, of course.  Now, I may be driving a "muscle MH" with a fuel-injected Chevy 454 and five whole speeds ... one of which will be overdrive ... and another will be reverse.  I'll be spending an inordinate amount of time in the latter until I learn how to back into a space on my own, but, I'm gonna cheat 'cause I already have a backup camera to install via the centered rear license plate bracket holes and light, and a wireless display for the dash!

All the Best,
Jim

Nope.  My guess is the guy who came up with the name was a  disgruntled employee in Damon's marketing department.

Here's an update on The Challenger we were considering buying.  I set up inspections and the dealer/owner said he'll cover everything except replacing the front suspension air bladders.  It's going to take a while to get everything done at minimum cost as higher-priority work comes into the shop, along with parts acquisition time.  So, we'll be taking possession in July, which is fine, as we were able to get hotel reservations during my research in Billings in June.  That will be about the same as the KOA spot would have cost, since it was during peak RV season on the Yellowstone River.  We'll pick it up and drive it to MSU Bozeman one of the first couple of weekends of July, and park it at the Bobcats football stadium when we're not on some trips of increased distance and elevation.

That will ultimately lead to trips to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons NPs, and we hope to meet Jackie and Mac in that area in July (assuming they ever make it out of Mexico, if the sagging-latitude Jet Stream forces them there!).  We can't wait to get it on the road and spend that first night lying in bed, looking out the back bedroom window under the ~10^23 stars in the known universe that all seem to be visible in the Big Sky over remote areas of Montana, as well as The Only Slightly Smaller Skies over the other Mountain States!

Thanks to everyone for their sage advice that has led to our upcoming delightful acquisition.  I already have questions queued up that I'll post in separate threads, where I can't find answers after searches.  The first will be about acquiring a replacement awning and frame, as the seller removed them due to their dilapidated condition.

Jim, the Mac is MacKenzie my surname.  My partner is Steve.....  We are in Vegas almost Mexico.  And we sincerely hope we will get the chance to meet you both and the cat!  ;D

jackiemac said:
Jim, the Mac is MacKenzie my surname.  My partner is Steve.....  We are in Vegas almost Mexico.  And we sincerely hope we will get the chance to meet you both and the cat!  ;D
Sorry Jackie and Steve ... that?s what I get for relying on my ancient 1K RAM ?brain? while I was on a low-bandwidth connection in Southeastern Montana and didn?t wait for forum pages to slowwwwwwly download to double-check your names.  I didn?t even get the opportunity to receive the 64K then-deluxe model when mine was manufactured, and there?s no upgrade path ... at least not that?s survivable!  I?m terrible with names anyway.

That?s a real terror the first few weeks (OK, months) when new classes start with new students each year/semester/quarter (depending on the class) ... everyone is ?Hey, You!? until I get my act together.  It?s bad enough when I?m starting at a new school with up to seven new STEM classes that I?m developing new curriculum for, while the underlying science, technology, and engineering are shifting completely around under my feet.  The recent fly-by/orbiter/lander missions to Mars, Pluto, Ultima Thule, comets, and asteroids, along with space telescope images have sent quakes and tsunamis through Earth and Space Science.

Biology is on its fourth complete overhaul of the taxonomy (classification and naming system) with the advent of genomics.  It?s caused things thought to be related based on proximate location and/or similar structure, being found to be related to things on the other side of the planet that look nothing alike.  Every square mile/kilometer of ocean is now known to have bacteria with unique DNA at/near the surface due to mutations from continuous exposure to astronomical radiation sources.  The GACT building blocks of DNA have been supplemented by X and Y variants for genetic engineering experiments, but, genes containing them can?t be replicated outside the lab in the natural environment, because special DNA replicator proteins are needed that can only exist in the lab.

Computing and robotics advances are continuing apace, with even the stodgy Post Office about to contract a pilot program of self-driving 18-wheelers between Phoenix and Dallas as a potential first step in nationwide long-haul automation.  That will reduce current labor costs and eliminate future retirement and medical benefits costs that have saddled it with onerous long-term forward-funding obligations, keeping its balance sheet in the red for decades.  AI in the form of Artificial Incompetence is slowly improving through neural networks for well-defined tasks, but, true, general, human-equivalent Artificial Intelligence is still decades to more than a century into the future.

Wait ... what did I come in here for? :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom