Charging batteries via inverter from solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willowflowage

I'm finding my new 100 w panel gives me plenty of juice for my Furnace, 3ah.
Lights,1-2
Water pump, 2-3
TV, 3
Even a cloudy day supports this use. On sunny days I have topped off batteries kept above 50% before noon. I have two 6v golf cart batteries at 115 each wired for 12v.
  So I have extra juice I've been wanting to run a small inverter. It takes 50 watts to power a charger for my 18vdc batteries ranging in size from 3-9amps. Any thoughts about doing this during peak sun from the load terminals of my charge controller?
  I use these batteries for a number of things like
A chainsaw, handheld vacuum, fans, and radio.

After some looking around I found out Ryobi makes s 12v plug in charger for their 18v batteries. Got to be the way to go. I ordered one.

You lose 10% or so of the power going through the inverter (efficiency lose), but it ought to work fine.  It needs to be a pure sine inverter for the battery charger to perfrom normally and last a normal life.

I must be missing something here.  Solar to an INverter to a battery charger?  Why???
Why not simply connect the charge controller directly to the batteries?
Generally speaking solar panels are either 12 or 24VDC.  INverters change 12VDC to 120VAC.  OP has already stated he has two 6VDC batteries which when connected correctly have an output of 12.64VDC.
Please tell me what Im missing here.

Waiting for my Ryobi 12v charger to come. Any thoughts on wiring it directly to the load terminals on the charge controller, or straight off the battery?

Shouldn't make a difference as the charge controller is, I assume, wired directly to the batteries anyway.

FWIW, I use a larger inverter and larger solar system on our trailer, and I use the standard 110v charger for my DeWalt cordless drill.  May not be efficient, but it is convenient.  In any case, the DeWalt charger does not take a lot of power, and any solar power that I am 'wasting' is free anyway.  :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom