Smart cars as a toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
I saw that article too John. Have you seen Terry Nathan's setup? Click the Photos button in the toolbar above, then select the album named Terry & Liliane Nathan's custom Euro coach. The second photo shows their Smart Car toad tucked in beneath their bedroom.

I checked out those photos a long time ago as computers figure time  I think it may have been back in the community compuserve days in fact

Here's a small car that was a second car in a prior life. The houses in the background are extremely small (they're miner's cottages). I call this photo "little houses, little car, little people". The car was a Fiat with a 650cc 2-cycle engine and was extremely easy to park in small, crowded towns. I doubt I'd fit in the car today. If I got in, I sure wouldn't be able to get out again.

Attachments

• GelliHouses.jpg
    GelliHouses.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 40
Tom,

That car reminds me of the Fiat 128 that we used to own. It looked really small outside but had an amazing amount of room inside. The back was squared off with a trunk. The front looked a lot like yours. The only problem with the car is it would not start when it was damp or cold. Not good for New England! ;D

I understand that a zippered fly came as an optional extra.

ROTFL, Carl!

Reminds me of the old Citroen's that had windows that you closed by lifting them with a leather(?) strap and then snapping the strap in place. Those same cars had mechanical turn signals - a little arm that stuck out when you operated a handle inside. May be wrong, but I think it was a 2CV or something like that. Anyone know?

Jim, you're right, it was the Isetta. I worked for a car dealer while I was in collage and was the "gofer" who picked up and delivered cars. We had an Isetta with a universal hitch that I would drive out to the customers house and tow back to the garage for pickup and deliveries. Get sport to drive.

Chet18013

Chet18013 said:
Jim, you're right, it was the Isetta. I worked for a car dealer while I was in collage and was the "gofer" who picked up and delivered cars. We had an Isetta with a universal hitch that I would drive out to the customers house and tow back to the garage for pickup and deliveries. Get sport to drive.

Chet18013

Next time we're in CT I'll have to check to see if that Isetta is still there. Don't know if it was for sale or not. Not that I'm interested. ;D I do remember seeing them on the road back in the '50s.

Come'on you guys.  Some of you have said that you couldn't get in or, more importantly, get out of one of these small cars.  I'll bet you could with the Isetta.  I owned an Isetta while at Michigan State University and the entire front end opens leaving you the full width of two seats upon which you can gracefully plunk yourself down.  Then after sliding left to be in front of the steering wheel someone else can squeeze in.

JerryF

I'll ask another question (Actually I"m asking in part because I'll take the answer to a friend)

How much would one of these pocket size rides cost?  And where can one find dealers in the US (US dollars please)

I do see Chrysler Damler is involved but in truth I've never seen one of the vehicles outside of pictures and the only site that had a price was pounds sterling if memory serves

How much would one of these pocket size rides cost?  And where can one find dealers in the US (US dollars please)

According to the Smart Car website, nowhere.  They are not yet producing for the US market.  I suspect that smog and safety are the big legal delays.  Market planning is more like the real one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom