Leveling new floor. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

I?m having a bit of a dilemma with my rebuild on my water Damaged unit.
See link if you're interested in what I?m tackling
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,120394.0.html

We?re getting our floor beams in place and of course we?ve ran into a lot of issues with getting them under walls etc

However right now I?m in need of some advice. I have a short beam that goes right inside the door that the plywood floor is going to sit on. But I cannot get it level with the rest of the floor beams

The floor beams are all 1 1/2? tall (I?ve measured them 150 times)

90% of them run right across the metal of the trailer frame. This one does the same.

When I put this board on the metal like the other beams and line it up with the rear beam that goes across the back of the trailer, It sits lower than the rest of the floor beams.

If I raise it up to be level with the rest of the floor beams it is now too high to fit the plywood flooring where it is supposed to sit.

Now I don?t know a lot about building. But I know a floor is supposed to be level. My dad (who is the only person I have to help me with this project) can sometimes be a ?just throw it together? type of person, And he?s been arguing with me that it?s fine if it?s not perfectly level. So it?s been a little hectic during this build when it comes to things he doesn?t feel are important to get perfect that I feel the opposite about (probably because I?m the one with money invested). However I?m thankful I?ve had his help because I would have never made it this far on the build without him.

Even after adding some small shims, It?s still not level and bordering on sitting too high for the plywood floor.

But he?s convinced that ?once we tack the plywood on you won?t be able to tell the difference?
And that I?m expecting something to come out perfect that is never going to be perfect.

So I?ve attached some photos of where the level was at AFTER I added some small shims.
I?ve also added photos of the wood sitting level with the rest of the floor beams to show that it goes past where the plywood floor would go
And a photo of how level all of the other floor beams are

Am I being too picky about this?
Is it being that offset not a big deal??

Attachments

• C853CD62-CEF1-4933-87EE-F34BD56E4EAE.jpeg
    C853CD62-CEF1-4933-87EE-F34BD56E4EAE.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 94B9B2B3-694E-4938-97B3-8EE50E9D27B2.jpeg
    94B9B2B3-694E-4938-97B3-8EE50E9D27B2.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 32
  • EE4A66EC-1FD9-4292-8C7E-C72491CE65DD.jpeg
    EE4A66EC-1FD9-4292-8C7E-C72491CE65DD.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 31
  • D854F56F-64E1-449E-893F-202F2DCB129F.jpeg
    D854F56F-64E1-449E-893F-202F2DCB129F.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 4206EA94-ED86-45CB-9BD9-66E7C81911C6.jpeg
    4206EA94-ED86-45CB-9BD9-66E7C81911C6.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 29
Maybe too picky, but you are the one that has to be satisfied. The bubble in that level is mighty close, though clearly not quite right.

There is no guarantee the original struts and subfloor weren't a bit off as well - I've seen some rather shoddy work from RV factories.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Maybe too picky, but you are the one that has to be satisfied. The bubble in that level is mighty close, though clearly not quite right.

There is no guarantee the original struts and subfloor weren't a bit off as well - I've seen some rather shoddy work from RV factories.

Yes that is true that it may not have been level before. There was so much wood rot in that area so there was no way to get a measurement of the original before hand.

I just keep reading about plank flooring (which is what we plan to use) popping up or separating when the subfloor isn?t level so that?s what I picture in my mind when I think about this section being off from the rest of the floor beams. It gets me nervous

I?m not sure if my shims were the way to go or just cut a whole new piece of wood that is a little taller but still fits under the subfloor.

I concur with Gary and agree with your Dad, doubt you will ever notice it but appreciate your spirit wanting to get it right and think your last sentence may be the way to go.

"just cut a whole new piece of wood that is a little taller but still fits under the subfloor"

You are in a slight dilemma.  Best not to honk dad off  :)  This is a big project that dad probably wants to keep moving along.  You have mentioned that he has done plenty of construction work, maybe follow his lead.  It's tough to make a pristine trailer when lord only knows if the frame is even welded together level..  Somethings you gotta just accept, OR be willing to spend enormous amounts of effort to get just right, when in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.  If you think the flooring will be an issue, talk to your dad.  If that's your only issue, personally, I'd roll with it.  Keep us posted, it's a big project.

I think you are approaching with the wrong tool. A level is not what you should be using. What you're really after is a flat floor. A string strung tightly the full length of the floor. Then install your floor joists so they are a uniform space below the string. If you want to use a level you should be using a 4 to 6 foot long one.

Back
Top Bottom