Necessary gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timtimtim

So I took the dive into the deep end and we got our first RV. Can you all recommend some essentials that we MUST get? They are only giving us the standard RV getcha going kit. I know we NEED leveling blocks, x style wheel chocks, and a water filter. Those are pretty much my first things to get. Anything else?

Sorry, forgot to mention we got a TT.

A proper jack and lug wrench to change a trailer tire. Extension mirrors for your tow vehicle.  Good check lists for packing, and departure. There are any number of other things that lots of folks consider ?must haves? that you may or may not need. Only some time on the road and camping will determine how many of those apply to you.

Several flashlights and a first-aid kit that also contains the basic medicines, such as tylenol, a fever thermometer, etc. You don't say if you will be traveling with kids, but I occasionally have my grandkids staying with me and one had a fever. I had nothing to give her and no thermometer, so consider putting the basics for emergencies in your first-aid kit.

A dog bone 30 to 50 amp converter if you have 50amp in the TT as some pedestals at campgrounds only have 30amp.

Go for a weekend stay somewhere local, or in your driveway and see what you will need for cooking etc. Write down what you need and if you have to buy anything go to your local Walmart as they store a lot of RV things or try Amazon.

We bought Correlle crockery which is light and robust and nicer than eating off plastic or paper.  You can often get sets at goodwill stores if you don't mind shopping there.

You can live quite a minimalist lifestyle we have found without any hardship.

Happy travels.

jackiemac said:
You can live quite a minimalist lifestyle we have found without any hardship.

Happy travels.

Nothing could be more true than this.
We, as well as most others "haul around" so much stuff we/they don't need.

Check out the Checklists section of the Library above. There are lists of things you might need, various inspection lists, and much more.

Arch Hoagland said:
Tire pressure gauge. Keep your trailer tires at the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall.

Where are you going for the first trip?

Dang, I wasn't even thinking about the tools i need to bring! Good thing I asked!

We will probably take the good advice and go to the local KOA down the street and then maybe Moab Utah for the first trip! Its close.

Timtimtim said:
Dang, I wasn't even thinking about the tools i need to bring! Good thing I asked!

We will probably take the good advice and go to the local KOA down the street and then maybe Moab Utah for the first trip! Its close.

Lucky you, Moab is great. You should try Bears Ears too, its lovely. Nice RV Park in Blanding called Blue Mountain. There is a great museum in town too... Edge of the Cedars.

You live in a spectacular part of the world.

Many of us get by quite well with a couple of 2x8s for leveling, and without either x style wheel chocks, or a water filter.

Will you always have hookups, or will you be boondocking? Does your RV have a built in generator if you need to charge your batteries? What about a portable grill, pots and pans, coffee maker, and all the other little kitchen gadgets?

Joel

my thoughts about this sort of question are to basically keep it simple at first.  Get the obvious stuff
a way to drain the tanks
a hose to get water
a broom to sweep out the dirt that gets tracked in.
sheets for the bed
...but almost everything else is optional, or may not apply to you and the types of places you go.

no need to fill the cabinets with dishes only to find out that you'd rather skip the washing and be a paper plate person.
if it turns out you never really hook up to campground water, but instead just fill your tank and use your pump...then no real need for a pressure regulator....in fact I've only rarely seen places where I thought a regulator "might be" a good idea.... most of the time it's just normal pressure and flow....
etc....
there are a lot of gadgets and stuff on the market for RVing... most of which aren't absolutely necessary.

I suggest bringing a pencil and notepad to jot down a shopping list as you think of things.
camp a few times...see if a gadget is really something you need or want... and if something urgent comes up that you don't have, there's always a Walmart nearby

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom