rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Re-Sealing Aluminum Conversion Van Roof  (Read 895 times)

Kuser

Re-Sealing Aluminum Conversion Van Roof
« on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
Hey everyone,

Did a thorough search and couldn't find an exact answer...hopefully the knowledge of this forum can help!

Hittin' the road in a 1979 Chevy conversion van soon and was re-sealing the roof today. For those not familiar the shell of the van is aluminum with a seam that runs right down the middle where the two halves meet. Down this seam there is a long line of screws from the front to the back holding up a middle support joist. Put new stainless screws in down the line today with a polyurethane sealant pumped into the holes and screws coated with it as well, and put a little extra on top over and around the screw head.

So the question is - can I coat the top of the screws with Dicor lap sealant over top of the polyurethane already sitting on the screws to ensure a full-seal or will the Dicor not set well on the poly? Also have cans of "Kool Seal" elastomeric coating; was thinking about just drenching the entire seam (screws included) in that.

Hopefully the pics attached work! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Re-Sealing Aluminum Conversion Van Roof
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:31:55 AM »
I've found the Dicor sticks to darn near anything except pure silicone (because of the oils in silicone). I try a small spot and see if it clings ok.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

wackymac

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:04:22 AM »
First, I'd give the roof a bath with bleach, Dawn, and hot water.
2002 Fleetwood Fiesta 31H, 2001 F53 Ford chassis
2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2wd
2 cats:
Rusty-13 year old red mackerel tabby with white, male, 22.5#,  leash trained.
Penny-10 year old black & white DLH, 16#, female.
Home---Ocala, FL
Avatar: '58 VW bus, 350hp 327 Chevy, TH400 & '57 Pontiac rear end.

Kuser

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:34:29 AM »
Haha yeah once all the screws are sealed up the roof is getting a MUCH needed bath....then a full application of the Kool Seal!

And thanks Gary, will give a test application today, wait a day and see how it's holding. I'll keep the post updated, hopefully it clings no problem and I'll be looking at a dry summer!