Monaco Chassis and Transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

Just checking - Monaco calls their chassis and transmission a "Roadmaster" brand.  Looks like Freightliner and Allison 3000's to me.  Any ideas?

Also, 2 interesting notes.  Used Monacos  seem to have more miles on them than other brands.  Maybe my imagination???

Secondly, I am not familiar with the Monaco's but they seem to have aggressive used pricing.  They look quite well built.  Any thoughts?  At least compared to say a Winnie or certainly Tiffan.

I suppose I am straying off topic here but I don't get Tiffins.  They are very very nice but boy they sure do want a lot more for what I see as minor upgrades.  I mean they are assembling the same parts a everyone else in general.  Nicer hardware not he cabinets etc. but its not like they have a magic engine that runs on Water as fuel. 8) 8). Again no offense meant - They are beautiful but that's more of a price is no option rig.

Thanks all!

The larger Roadmaster chassis are distinctly their own design, but the low end R4R and its sisters might be hard to distinguish than the base model Freightliner XCS.  The transmissions are Allisons and the engines Cummins, so no surprises there. Generally a well-built RV, though not without their faults.

More miles on Monacos?  They were really popular in the early 2000's, so maybe saw more use?

Tiffins, I think, are just riding their current popularity peak, meaning dealers ask premium prices for used ones. Tiffins excellent (but now somewhat obsolete) rep for customer service got translated into "better RV", and the market value reflects buyer interest.

Thanks Gary - Makes sense but kinda ironic that they didn't use the Freightliner and Allison name.  At first I was thinking "No way do I want a Roadmaster chassis or transmission!"

...kinda ironic that they didn't use the Freightliner and Allison name.
Ironic?  They didn't use the Freightliner name cause back in the day it wasn't a Freightliner.  Roadmaster was a wholly owned subsidiary of Monaco Coach and they designed and built their own stuff. And like other chassis builders, they use components from truck industry suppliers. e.g. Cummins engines, Allison trannies, axles from Granning or Meritor, etc.
Now that Monaco is just a brand name from Rev Group, Rev uses the Roadmaster name in advertising to appeal to the many Monaco fans that loved their Roadmaster chassis. However, Rev builds all their diesel coaches on Freightliners these days, whether the coach is labeled Monaco, Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler or American Coach.

KandT said:
Thanks Gary - Makes sense but kinda ironic that they didn't use the Freightliner and Allison name.  At first I was thinking "No way do I want a Roadmaster chassis or transmission!"
I don't know why not? My 2007 Beaver (Monaco built) had a Roadmaster chassis, and it was excellent. Of course that was before Monaco became part of a conglomerate.

Agree - the big Roadmaster RR8R and RR10R chassis are as good as any.

And there never was any such things as Roadmaster transmission - not sure where that misconception may have originated

"I suppose I am straying off topic here but I don't get Tiffins.  They are very very nice but boy they sure do want a lot more for what I see as minor upgrades."
KandT, Have you looked at some of the better coaches? Like Newmar, Foretravel or Newell? I think Newmar is one of the better companies in customer support.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
"I suppose I am straying off topic here but I don't get Tiffins.  They are very very nice but boy they sure do want a lot more for what I see as minor upgrades."
KandT, Have you looked at some of the better coaches? Like Newmar, Foretravel or Newell? I think Newmar is one of the better companies in customer support.
Bill

Yep - Good friend loves his Newmar!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom