Keeping Tow Bar Attached on Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hi,

On my list of some things to do, I wanted to figure a way to keep my tow bar attached to my motorhome. Figure I could make a bracket so it would fit against our bumper or spare tire cover. This would keep me from having to man handle the bar each time, plus offer a place of storage rather than the car or motorhome compartment.

I have a Blue Ox tow bar and put it in place on the motorhome and raised the bar up to see where it would be against the bumper/tire cover. There is a pin located on the bar and when you lift the bar up, you can then lay both arms that attach to the car base plate downward (clockwise) either left or right and it rests perfectly on the pin keeping the bar off the ground. I used locking pins in the hitch so someone couldn't come along and pull a pin to make off with the tow bar.

After laying the arms down, all I had to do was put a rubber bungee cord fastener to the bumper to hold it in place. Figure I will cover with a trash bag to keep water off the bar. I could travel with the bar secured to the bumper short distances like in a camp ground. I don't know of anything more easy with very little cost. This might have been a no brainer for the experts but I didn't see this option until I looked at it in the up configuration. Thought this might help others in my place.

Hi Al. We do the same thing with our Blue Ox tow bar when we're not towing. We just lay it to the left, or right, with that pin resting in the little slot, and it rides there just fine. I've never felt the need to tie, or bungee it down - even on rough California roads. We bought a Blue Ox cover for it (about $35.00 IIRC) and it does a fair job of protecting it from the elements. A trash bag would do better, but wouldn't last very long (Easy to replace though)

Kev

X2 on locking hitchpin. I always made my own. Drilled hole in regular pin for padlock. Bought match keyed set of good weather proof padlocks. One in towbar receiver,  one in bike rack receiver above towbar,  two to replace pins in baseplate, and ect. One key fits all and end up with 8-10+ matched keys.

Hi,

I visited some relatives last year. We had stopped off and had visited some places of interest. Moving the bar off and back on the hitch holder, I ended up pinching a nerve in my back. I tried to nurse it before arriving to visit my relatives, but back was still very much sore and I couldn't do much in the way of moving around, let alone taking the hitch off or storing it. Had a very kind in law take it off and store it in the back yard for me. I healed up in about a week but did very little to aggravate the back for that week.

So this is when I added the idea to attach the hitch to the RV bumper or spare tire holder/cover on my list. I have also seen it mentioned here on the forum. This will save a great deal of time with unhooking and re-hooking. I'll take a picture of it for insurance reasons. Also handy when unhooking and then backing into spaces when needed. I will probably store the hitch in between times when not traveling or storing the RV. I can take moving it back on when I travel.

Why do you feel the need to take the towbar off all the time? My blue OX Avita lives locked to the back of my RV. Except for short trips when home, say to get propane top up fuel or like last week to get my inspection. I am NEVER on a trip without my toad.
Bill

There really isn't any reason to take the tow bar off. I put ours on when we bought the MH with a locking pin. In over 10 years the only time I ever removed it was at Quartzsite for it's annual maintenance at the Blue Ox tent. Other than that it stayed on the MH 24/7/365.

Why do you think that you need to remove your tow bar? I can't think of a reason.

Hi,

Well first, when I bought the coach, the tow bar came with it. It didn't have a locking pin for the main hitch. I didn't want it to disappear (that is about a $1,000 mistake) so I would take it off. I now do have a locking pin. Second, it's a pretty wet environment here in northern Indiana. While the tow bar is capable of standing wet, why have it outside all the time when RV is not in use? Third, when I store my RV, I don't want it attached because it might provide someone time to cut the locking pin and steal the tow bar.

Part of RV'n is finding out things and to be frank, I never gave it a thought that I could store the tow bar off the ground while still attached to the RV. Now that I have made that discovery, it will stay attached when on trips, even when we are using the car. If we take a day or two trip, it will probably be stored somewhere safe until we get back.

I agree, that taking it off as much as I was, took a lot of effort and trouble (including back pain). Hopefully I have solved the problem now and why I made the post.

While I leave my towbar attend to my RV I always detach and stow my crossbar in one of my basement bins when I detach our dinghy at our destination. Have hit deer with my dinghy on two occasions I am glad the crossbar wasn?t there to be damaged. It would have stranded me in difficult locations.

Back
Top Bottom