Success with my mouse bucket trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Last fall prior to leaving for FL, I set up the trap in my garage. I checked it the other day when I got home and I had 10 mice in there. Boy could they have done some damage in the garage and probably eventually in the house if they were looking for food. I wish I knew how they got into my garage. I use antifreeze so there isn't a chance of freezing if I had used just water.

Eek! Or squeak  ;D

We have been having mouse problems and caught 2 in our attic, hopefully no more up there as we are leaving soon.

Also had one in our garage but as we live next to a field it's no surprise.

They can get into a space the size of a pencil apparently and it's hard to block all holes that size!

Hi Jackiemac and all,

If the mice in your attic had wings then they weren't mice :eek: ;D

Here is an old RV Forum Topic on the subject. I use one when we are away and it makes a big difference. We are out in the country and have fields.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,24083.0.html

SargeW said:
How does your trap work?

Marty, just Google "Mouse Bucket Trap" and you'll get all kinds of ideas to build one.
Just make sure if you use antifreeze that you keep it away from domestic animals. I understand the sweetness attracts them

Love love love the bucket trap! Worked great in my motorhome the winter we had it parked/stored in a wooded campground while our second garage/driveway (where I park the RV) was being built.

Rene T said:
Just make sure if you use antifreeze that you keep it away from domestic animals. I understand the sweetness attracts them

That and (1) it will not freeze if you use this trap during winter months, and (2) it has a preservation effect so animal carcasses will not decay and produce odor. You can use pink RV antifreeze for the same effects, but it is non-toxic. So no big deal for other animals and if/when you take the bucket (plus "cargo") and dump it in the woods or wherever.

Jackie did the UK ever solve its red squirel problem, i heard they were massively over populated and they were killing them by the hundreds and the species is foreign to that area. 

I also wonder if A&W cans catch more than Pepsi lol

djw2112 said:
Jackie did the UK ever solve its red squirel problem, i heard they were massively over populated and they were killing them by the hundreds and the species is foreign to that area. 

I also wonder if A&W cans catch more than Pepsi lol
The red squirrels are native I believe and the grey squirrels were introduced and have been taking over. I'm not sure if they attack them or carry disease.

At one time the trees in Scotland were so extensive that squirrels could travel from one end of the country to the other!

There is a conservation society trying to ensure segregation of the two species and to ensure the reds thrive. They are beautiful.

On another note Steve couldn't sleep last night so at 4.15am he was checking out the new infra red light he installed yesterday which covers our back garden. I had spotted droppings in our garage that I thought belonged to a rat.  Sure enough, there it was scampering around in the garden. Another culprit to get rid of before we go!

Thanks for the info on the squirrels, i was curious about that...  Yes i think the red squirrels are pretty too..

Dont want to gross anyone out here but about 10 years ago i stayed with some people in Arkansas that had an infestion of mice.  I mean one of those buckets would probably be overflowing in a night or two, litterally.  I could here them like elephants in the ceiling at night, one even got up on the nightstand next to the bed but i got him with my knife.  It was so bad that we went up into the attack to see and it was wall to wall mice poo...  Also in all the clossets of the house, the bar that usually holds hangers for clothes had been used so many times to travel accross the bar was caked in mice poo. 

I didnt stay long there and was out of there in a jiffy, they lost the house financially and i feel bad for whoever took it over because it had a bad infestation.

djw2112 said:
Thanks for the info on the squirrels, i was curious about that...  Yes i think the red squirrels are pretty too..

Dont want to gross anyone out here but about 10 years ago i stayed with some people in Arkansas that had an infestion of mice.  I mean one of those buckets would probably be overflowing in a night or two, litterally.  I could here them like elephants in the ceiling at night, one even got up on the nightstand next to the bed but i got him with my knife.  It was so bad that we went up into the attack to see and it was wall to wall mice poo...  Also in all the clossets of the house, the bar that usually holds hangers for clothes had been used so many times to travel accross the bar was caked in mice poo. 

I didnt stay long there and was out of there in a jiffy, they lost the house financially and i feel bad for whoever took it over because it had a bad infestation.
That sounds awful.  They obviously didn't catch it in time.

Back
Top Bottom