Re: Four Season/Full Time RV's - Do they really exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

I'm considering purchase of a 2019 American Dream, or an Entegra Anthem.  Does anyone have first hand experience in below zero temps with either of these coaches?

I'm considering purchase of a 2019 American Dream, or an Entegra Anthem.  Does anyone have first hand experience in below zero temps with either of these coaches?

You'll probably get quicker and better responses if you start a new thread with your question rather than resurrecting a 4 year old post. Easy to do. Just click on one of the sub-forums (such as New Comer or Motorhomes). At the top you'll see a button called "New Topic." Just click on it and post a title and then your questions in the comment block. And, WELCOME TO THE FORUM.  :))

Edit - I have split topic as suggested thanks - Jackie

Both the Beaver I used to have and my current Newmar Ventana have hydronic heating systems (Aqua Hot and Oasis, respectively), which includes a heat register in the basement. And in both I've been comfortable over a night or two in 10? F weather, with thermostat set to 70? or so. When it got that low I had full hookups and the electric heating element wasn't adequate for very long, so I had to turn on the diesel burner (it generates lots more heat for the boiler), but temperatures inside the coach stayed comfortable and the basement stayed warm enough to avoid any freezing problems. Obviously you need to disconnect the water hose when it's that cold, though, unless you have a heated hose.

With the above experience I'm sure it would have been OK down to 0? F, but I've not tried lower, nor do I want to.

We've hit 12/12? in our fifth wheel, no skirting, a couple of times this year with no problems. Our water supply is buried 2' down, with heat tape on the riser and parts above ground until the entrance through the floor.  That's with less than 15 mph winds. Hit 18? with 30 mph winds and gusts well over 40 mph, and still didn't freeze

That was a good idea one fella in this thread had to park inside in Chicago. The city has many old garages that were once used by taxi companies and cartage outfits, many are now inside hand car washes. I betcha with a little looking around one would find a heated space to rent. Maybe on 35th St. by Phil?s pizza.

I live full time in a 1983 Fleetwood Terry Taurus travel camper that is NOT insulated on the floor for four seasons.
My heat is electric...two oil-filled radiators and one ceramic heater with a fan.
I haven't used my propane yet because as a former demolition contractor, I had a few jobs where mobile homes with propane blew up.
I have 50 amps of electric...two different breakers.
The camper gets so hot from solar gain that I have to run the AC in January.
Whatever your comfort zone is, basic necessities can be met.
I've been living like this since September of 2014.

If you are considering a 5th wheel, the answer is simply....Yes! But, they are rare, heavy, and expensive. “IMO”, 4-season includes extended use at or below 0F. My opinion again....if the unit can’t handle that....it ain’t 4-season. Prior to the last big recession, there where several manufacturers that produced true 4-season units designed for full time use. However, most went under, as the market could not support them. If you’re willing to buy used,there are many on the market, to be had for much less than the original sale price. But, as with anything used....buyer be “AWARE”! You must thoroughly inspect the unit!

We had a previous 5th wheel, that we full timed in....seeing several morning temps at -30 F ( or slightly cooler), with no issues. With our present unit.....we wouldn’t hesitate to use at a -20 F or cooler with all amenities in service! But, you will use a lot of propane, when the temps stay at or below single digit F!

To Tom@tomrose etc.
I hsve a 98 american dream  dp and we just came through winter near Indianapolis. Had a few sub zero days (-16), and except for 1 day of frozen water for morning, we did well. The basement is heated by both furnaces. However, the water panel is exposed, a little electric heater solved the problem.

Heck, even our 2001 Georgie Boy Landau gasser has kept us comfortable as low as -4 deg.F at times. We do use a lot of propane at those temps, but our dual furnaces keep us nice and warm. I have small 700 watt thermostat controlled electric heater in our wet bay that helps keep the water flowing. The fresh tank itself is under our bed so that's not a problem. We don't spend the entire winter in cold weather though, just until after we spend the winter holidays with our kids, grand kids, and great grand kids. Then we head south to thaw out... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom