Batteries, Charging, Hard/Slow Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AStravelers said:
Some where around 2002 to 2004 Winnebago started installing the Trik-L-Start as standard equipment in the higher end rigs.  You may already have one installed.
Actually Winnie started installing them in 2006 on the diesel Class As. I have no idea when the gas rigs got them.

AStravelers said:
Some where around 2002 to 2004 Winnebago started installing the Trik-L-Start as standard equipment in the higher end rigs.  You may already have one installed.

Can't find one. (Bought one.) Back in 2004 the Adventurer was the highest end on gasoline models (but the 33V was the smaller of the line).

John Canfield said:
Another check is with the engine running, the chassis battery voltage should be around 14.4 volts give or take a tenth of a volt or so.

Checked that, see pics.

Attachments

• Battery_Voltage_Charging.jpg
    Battery_Voltage_Charging.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 22
John Canfield said:
Did you ever mention how old your chassis batteries are?

I don't know. There's a sticker on the chassis battery (1st pics I posted) that looks a whole lot like a date sticker, says 12/17 for December 2017??? I dunno.  I'm gonna replace it today, see what happens then...

AnRVAndADog said:
Chassis battery isn't really taking a charge...
Your picture is showing a battery voltage of 13.0V.  Assuming you took the picture within about 5-15 minutes of turning the engine off, the voltage you are seeing is the "surface charge" in the battery.  The voltage of a fully charged battery is 12.6-12.8V.  "Surface charge" is the high voltage which is left in the battery after charging for some time.  It is perfectly normal to see this high voltage.  It may take several hours for this surface charge to go away in there is no load on the battery.

To dissipate the surface charge turn the head lights on for 2 minutes or so, then turn them off and see what your chassis battery voltage is.  If the voltage is still above 12.8V turn the head lights on for another minute or so. 

Once you get the battery voltage down to about 12.6-12.7V leave the lights off and let the battery sit for 6-12 hours and then recheck.  If the voltage now down to 12.5 to 12.4(or lower) , you either have a bad battery or you have phantom power draw which is draining your battery.

Sounds like you're going to check the box with a new battery but with most cars/trucks these days using side post batteries including my Itasca, it's a fairly straightforward process to pluck a battery out of a vehicle you have around and do a quick swap in the RV to see if it makes a difference.  I'm not even sure what battery is supposed to be in my pickup truck, I put whatever works in there and swap batteries around between my cars and truck as needed.  Batteries can develop a sudden loss in capacity, in this case it would be a sudden increase in impedance which an auto parts store load tester would easily reveal.  But this isn't as common as a sudden problem with a cable or cable connection.  In the course of replacing the battery you may very well inadvertently correct a bad terminal connection which of course resolves the problem but at the expense of an unneeded battery.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how this story ends after the battery R&R.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

AnRVAndADog said:
I don't know. There's a sticker on the chassis battery (1st pics I posted) that looks a whole lot like a date sticker, says 12/17 for December 2017??? I dunno.  I'm gonna replace it today, see what happens then...

Replaced the chassis battery with a new, fully-charged, battery. Control panel shows 12.8 volts and still won't turn over the engine without Battery Boost. Gonna be in the shop this week to replace the AC so I'll have them look at this... Thanks to all who helped.

AnRVAndADog said:
Replaced the chassis battery with a new, fully-charged, battery. Control panel shows 12.8 volts and still won't turn over the engine without Battery Boost. Gonna be in the shop this week to replace the AC so I'll have them look at this... Thanks to all who helped.

To me that sounds like you have a high resistance/loose connection somewhere between your battery and starting motor.

AnRVAndADog said:

It was the starter, making intermittent contact. Getting it replaced...

AnRVAndADog said:

New starter kicks butt. The Old Girl starts like a race car!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom