What are best options for Satellite TV for occasional use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Just got our 1st RV which included an in-motion sat system.  Our home service is fiber optic so any sat service we'd use would be for several weeks a year at most.

Also, how well do those systems actually work?

what are the options and costs?

Thx to anyone taking the time to offer advice.

mark in MN

We have DirecTV.  We are occasional users also.  They allow you to suspend your service for up to 6 months.  We pay for their cheapest package, and then when we know the MH is going to be in storage for an extended period of time, we suspend the service.  It has worked for us so far.

Steve

For a couple weeks a year I would skip it until you can get more use out of the satellite.

We use the over the air antenna and get anywhere from 5 to 40 channels. With the 5 channels, I have a hard drive loaded with our DVD collection. I connect the laptop to the TV With HDMI and can choose what I want to watch.

OR

You can go old school and turn off all the electronics. ;D ;D

Dish is considered the more part-time RV'er friendly of the two satellite services since they offer a pay-as-you-go month to month plan that can be started and stopped pretty much at will. "DishForMyRV" is a good source of both information and equipment bundles. If you know the make/model of your in-motion dish, we can determine how usable it is with either service.

As for as how well satellite TV systems work, the majority of the time by far, you would not know if you were watching a satellite or cable TV picture just by the picture and available programming.

In motion is not all that great now days..  First your choice (Assuming US citizen) is basically DISH NETWORK..  DirecTV eliminated (or soon will) SD service and their HD service is not compatible with "In motion" domes.  DISH however is 100% compatible with Selected In-Motion domes  (It matters which dome you have) ...

Second however with Sat TV many folks like to use multiple recerivers or DVR's that can record one show while you watch another.  Alas Dish spreads programming over 3 satellites. and the Dome can only see one at a time. Now the better domes can change target satellites under receiver control. but still they only see one at a time.

Dish offers a monthly plan  YOu can buy a month then use it in segments  turning the service on and off as you like for up to so many months.. Then buy another month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom