Setting up an equalizer WD hitch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scale obsession

Hey Guys, I recently set up equalizer hitch for our new tow vehicle and having never set up a hitch before, I followed the directions in the owners manual. I was able to get it adjusted to where the front wheel gap was back to its unloaded measurement. Heres a photo of how everything looks. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 59436707_10161942707040650_2516642641211293696_n.jpg
    59436707_10161942707040650_2516642641211293696_n.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 66
It looks like your trailer rides a bit high in the front.  Maybe you need to drop a notch (bolt hole) on the shank.  When you set these up, you are to start off by measuring the ball height of the trailer, completely level.  Then make the ball height of the hitch on truck (unloaded), very close, maybe 1" higher, max, on your stiff beast.  You have a height and a tilt that lets you refine that pretty nicely.  Just my opinion.

Edit: found this video, maybe worth double checking the way you did it.  https://www.google.com/search?q=setting+up+equalizer+wdh&oq=setting+up+equalizer+wdh&aqs=chrome..69i57.8447j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=1

scale obsession said:
Hey Guys, I recently set up equalizer hitch for our new tow vehicle and having never set up a hitch before, I followed the directions in the owners manual. I was able to get it adjusted to where the front wheel gap was back to its unloaded measurement.

You didn't follow the owners manual, it says this:

1.    Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.
2.    Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender. This is H1.
3.    Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the weight-distributing bars connected.
4.    Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender a second time. This is H2.
5.    Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that the height of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender is approximately halfway between H1 and H2.
6.    Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your vehicle. If not, adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 2-6.

I think that Ford does not want you to remove too much weight from the rear tires so that they still have good traction.

A little hard to tell in the picture, But the nose of the trailer does look a little high.

Is the trailer level?
Is the trailer loaded for camping?

Both of these will have an effect how how the trailer goes down the road.

I agree with SpencerPJ on dropping the bars one notch. Might bring it right in.

The time you spend now refining your setup will pay you back 10 fold when your going down the road.

lynnmor said:
You didn't follow the owners manual, it says this:

1.    Park the loaded vehicle, without the trailer, on a level surface.
2.    Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender. This is H1.
3.    Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle without the weight-distributing bars connected.
4.    Measure the height to the top of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender a second time. This is H2.
5.    Install and adjust the tension in the weight-distributing bars so that the height of your vehicle's front wheel opening on the fender is approximately halfway between H1 and H2.
6.    Check that the trailer is level or slightly nose down toward your vehicle. If not, adjust the ball height accordingly and repeat Steps 2-6.

I think that Ford does not want you to remove too much weight from the rear tires so that they still have good traction.

Thank you! Your absolutely correct. I just saw that I was back to unloaded height and went with it. I overlooked the fact that I may have too much tension on the bars. I will drop the bars a notch and see what we get!

Gizmo100 said:
A little hard to tell in the picture, But the nose of the trailer does look a little high.

Is the trailer level?
Is the trailer loaded for camping?

Both of these will have an effect how how the trailer goes down the road.

I agree with SpencerPJ on dropping the bars one notch. Might bring it right in.

The time you spend now refining your setup will pay you back 10 fold when your going down the road.

When I first set the ball height I measured. The nose was 1 inch high. If i drop one notch, its way too low. The catch to all of this , is that I never measured the trailer level with the bars installed. I got caught up in getting my wheel well measurements and overlooked this. After reviewing the pics, I agree with you guys. It looks slightly nose high.I'm going to drop my spring bars one notch and see what we end up with.

scale obsession said:
When I first set the ball height I measured. The nose was 1 inch high. If i drop one notch, its way too low.
You should have a tilt adjustment that would correct this.

scale obsession said:
When I first set the ball height I measured. The nose was 1 inch high. If i drop one notch, its way too low. The catch to all of this , is that I never measured the trailer level with the bars installed. I got caught up in getting my wheel well measurements and overlooked this. After reviewing the pics, I agree with you guys. It looks slightly nose high.I'm going to drop my spring bars one notch and see what we end up with.

Although the bars transfer weight to the front tires, on the firm F250 of yours, I'd argue that you get little to zero drop when you place that trailer on your hitch, and possibly not even need WDH, but since you have it, your system it will help with sway.  With the trailer riding high as it seems to now, you will magnify the wind and increase sway chances by a bunch. I still think your focus needs to be on the unloaded hitch height of the truck.  Obviously, I do not know how much tension are on your bars.  Find a flat spot. unhook bars, leave connected, take a level and place on front trailer frame.  Your trailer  should NOT be high in the front under this condition. 

SpencerPJ said:
You should have a tilt adjustment that would correct this.

The tilt is not for setting height, it is to get the correct loading of the bars by adjusting their angle.

Do you have the capability to lower the ball. Some hitches have that feature and if you do, I would do that first just to get the trailer level. Then once connected to the truck, make the adjustments necessary to bring it back to level condition and transfer the weight equally to the front end of the truck.

lynnmor said:
The tilt is not for setting height, it is to get the correct loading of the bars by adjusting their angle.

:))  You are correct, my mistake

I would ride 1 low, rather than 1 high, because I think I high trailer would cause more sway issues.

Here?s one down and no WD bars.

Attachments

• 38C37294-92E5-40AD-A346-9BC75B5A746B.jpeg
    38C37294-92E5-40AD-A346-9BC75B5A746B.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 33
Did you happen to take a picture 'as was', without WD bars?  Your original picture in the post, without the bars. 

scale obsession said:
Here?s one down and no WD bars.

It appears the nose of the trailer and the back of the truck are down a little. Add the WD bars with just enough lift to level things and I think you are set to go.

Gizmo100 said:
It appears the nose of the trailer and the back of the truck are down a little. Add the WD bars with just enough lift to level things and I think you are set to go.

I agree, hook the bars up and see.  It also looks like the water inlet, tank is at the rear, and a couple hundred pounds of water will change the dynamics.  After messing back and forth, if I had to ultimately settle for the front of trailer to be a tad high or a tad low, I would take a tad low.

SpencerPJ said:
I agree, hook the bars up and see.  It also looks like the water inlet, tank is at the rear, and a couple hundred pounds of water will change the dynamics.  After messing back and forth, if I had to ultimately settle for the front of trailer to be a tad high or a tad low, I would take a tad low.

I would agree about the high/low issue. But that said since he already has the WD /Anti sway setup. I would add the bars and make the setup almost perfect. That will give even wear on tires on the truck and trailer.

There's a good chance with a level load he will forget the trailer's back there until he looks in the rear-view mirror.

Gizmo100 said:
I would agree about the high/low issue. But that said since he already has the WD /Anti sway setup. I would add the bars and make the setup almost perfect. That will give even wear on tires on the truck and trailer.

There's a good chance with a level load he will forget the trailer's back there until he looks in the rear-view mirror.

So would I, I'm borderline ocd about that stuff.  And he'll forget it's back there, until first sharper than you should right turn  :eek:  I really like his new truck  :))

Rene T said:
I would like it better if it was a GM product.  ;D :D ;) :)
Here we go. Hang on for the ride.

With the GM he wouldn't need the WD hitch....Because he couldn't pull the trailer fast enough for it to be an issue ;D ;D

Just thought I would get the ball rolling ;D ;D

Gizmo100 said:
With the GM he wouldn't need the WD hitch....Because he couldn't pull the trailer fast enough for it to be an issue ;D ;D

Just thought I would get the ball rolling ;D ;D

But he could pull it whereas  :eek: ::) :-\

Rene T said:
But he could pull it whereas  :eek: ::) :-\

A GM truck coasting down hill with a TT attached is not considered pulling a trailer ;D ;D

Just make sure the trailer brakes are working....I heard of people having problems with those GM Brakes.

Warning ...It's raining and maybe 60 degrees outside today....I have nothing better to do than cause trouble 8) 8)

Back
Top Bottom