Mosquitos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy

Site Team
Walked Sam this morning and realized that I have absolutely nothing for mosquitos (for me....Sam's ok having had his Frontline application). Any suggestions as I sit here a stone's throw from the Mississippi? I prefer natural methods over noxious chemicals.

Wendy

I stay indoors when mosquitos are around. They just love to feast on me. We're fortunate that, in this area, they don't appear until dusk. As I see the sun going down, I head indoors.

I tried that this morning but unfortunately, one of the little buggers followed me inside and I didn't notice until he (she?) had munched on my legs. Mike's lucky...as long as I'm around, they don't bother him.

Wendy, the only thing that has worked for me (and I am one of those people they seen to seek out) are products with deet, the higher percentage the better.  I know you want a natural method but I don't think there are any that work well.  With the West Nile virus these days, you do need to use something to keep then away, they are more than just a potential itch.

Wendy

Robert is correct on the Deet.....The strongest you can find,  if it doesn't melt your watch band it's not strong enough.<G>

If you prefer natural to chemical (DEET) then there are those bug-off arm bands, THey are citronella at least the one I used.

How effective are they?  I have no clue

Don't know about Deet but Skin so Soft works well, just stinks the next morning.

Wendy,

After 22 years in Alaska, I can tell you that NOTHING works like DEET. As others have mentioned get the highest percentage that you can get.

wendycoke said:
Walked Sam this morning and realized that I have absolutely nothing for mosquitos (for me....Sam's ok having had his Frontline application). Any suggestions as I sit here a stone's throw from the Mississippi? I prefer natural methods over noxious chemicals.

Wendy

Oddly enuf, Vitamin B1 seemed to work when I was waliking around the High Sierra.  Take a large enough dose to the point you can smell it on your forearm.  The stuff has defiinite ordor that messes with the little suckers.  Wikipedia says:

Some studies suggest that taking thiamine (vitamin B1) 25 mg to 50 mg three times per day is effective in reducing mosquito bites. A large intake of Thiamine produces a skin odor that is not detectable by humans, but is disagreeable to female mosquitoes.[6] Thiamine takes more than 2 weeks before the odor fully saturates the skin. With the advances in topical preparations there is an increasing number of Thiamine based repellent products. Whilst there is considerable anecdotal evidence of Thiamine products being effective in the field (Australia, US and Canada), there has yet to be any clinical trials run to demonstrate the efficacy of these products.

Couple that with DEET and the skeeters will detour a mile to avoid you.

I really knew nothing about DEET so went to Wikipedia to find out about it:

"Recent studies by Duke University researchers have found that "laboratory rats treated with an average human dose of DEET (40 mg/kg body weight) performed far worse when challenged with physical tasks requiring muscle control, strength and coordination. These findings are consistent with reported human symptoms following DEET's use by the military in the Persian Gulf War." [2] Duke Pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia, PhD, has said that the results of this study warrant further testing and he has warned the public to use insecticides containing DEET sparingly and infrequently.[2]"

"DEET is an effective solvent which can damage some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, leather, and painted or varnished surfaces; it does not damage natural fibers, such as cotton or wool, and has no effect on nylon."

Terry wasn't kidding when he said "if it doesn't melt your watchband".  :p :p

Well...they say if you rub your clothes with a new fabric softener sheet, that works.  I've heard people swear by it.  But have never tried it myself.  Give it a try, and let's us know how it works.  What have you got to loose.  A few more bites...........

Barb

Barb said:
Well...they say if you rub your clothes with a new fabric softener sheet, that works.  I've heard people swear by it.  But have never tried it myself.  Give it a try, and let's us know how it works.  What have you got to loose.  A few more bites...........

Barb

Oh no, not the dryer sheets again!  All around critter repelent.  Keeps 'em off of you and cleans 'em off the front of your car too! 

Has anyone tried the ultrasonic mosquito repeller?  It runs on batteries and  comes in personal carry-around size and a table top model.  I've seen them on ebay (Sunbeam is one of the brands) and wonder if they work.

In many years of fishing on the Texas coast, I have tried everything anyone even suggested that might work, ultrasonic units included.  Some like skin so soft seemed to work somewhat, but the ultrasonics didn't even pretend to work. If you are really mosquito tasty, nothing works but Deet.

Well, Jeff successfully scared me off DEET. Carl reminded me of B1 which used to work quite well when we backpacked in the Sierra Nevadas but which you need to start taking ahead of time to build up the "stink." I did find a bottle of SkinSoSoft in the bathroom and will give that a try. Also going to try Barb's dryer sheet....like she said, what have I got to lose? Last option is to just let them munch away....after all, mosquitos have to eat, too.

Wendy

Wendy,

There is some newer stuff.  I can't remember the name but any sporting goods store will know.  Maybe they will even have a sample for you to try.  Starts with Pic...

A friend was so allergic to ANY kind of sting, mosquitoes included, that she always carried an EpiPen. ALWAYS. After starting a regimen of B1, she never had to use it again. As with anything, you can overdose on it, so use caution. I tried it myself and it worked. 

Buy one of the new mosquito repellers that works on prophane. It is called Therm-a-cell. The chemical sits on the unit. I will not hunt here in the south without one. Keeps mosquitoes 15 feet away and no chemicals are on you. If you buy one you will love it.  Best 20 bucks you'll spend to sit outside at night...Mark Here is the website http://www.thermacell.com/

Well, that's something I hadn't tried.  Now I have to get a Therm-a-cell.  Has anyone tried the propane powered Mosquito Magnet? I realize it's probably not portable enough for the RV, but wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

James, I think the product you are referring to is Picaridin.

Wendy- I could send down a couple from here in Alberta to beat yours up.  ;D You need more than a 2 ft. wingspan? Good luck. The only thing that works for sure is 6' of dirt. Not much of an option......sometimes tempting! -Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom