Mosquitos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe there is an electric version of the therm-a-cell as well, there is also a "Mosquito trap" that uses propane, it relies on the fact that the mosquito being a parasite is attracted to CO2 which Mammals like us breath out... That's how they locate nice juicy bags of blood to tap into.

Well.. The mosquito trap.. Lures them to a somedifferent fate.

I've been told that bathing your dog in lemon scented Joy will help keep mosquitos and fleas off.  I have another doggy soap I prefer (smells like baby powder).  I put Frontline on Asta.  I don't like using chemicals, but I want him to be comfy.

Has anyone tried the ultrasonic mosquito repeller?  It runs on batteries and  comes in personal carry-around size and a table top model.  I've seen them on ebay (Sunbeam is one of the brands) and wonder if they work.

Haven't tried one, but I did read a review on them some time back and the conclusion was they're a waste of money.

ArdraF

oldcurios said:
Has anyone tried the ultrasonic mosquito repeller?  It runs on batteries and  comes in personal carry-around size and a table top model.  I've seen them on ebay (Sunbeam is one of the brands) and wonder if they work.

I tried one when we were in Florida a couple of years ago.  Didn't help me one bit.  Skin So Soft doesn't work for me either. 

Jeannine

Haven't tried one, but I did read a review on them some time back and the conclusion was they're a waste of money.

Neither of those work on me either.  Skin So Soft actually draws them to me.  Many times mosquitos don't really bother me while they eating dh up.

I like the new OFF that is powdery.

How big is the Therm-a-Cell? Is it something that would work when hiking?

Wendy

Well, after many years of trailrides and campouts, I have found that drinking a good ration of Jack Daniels is great.  Oh, it doesn't keep the mosquitoes off of you but when you've had enough, either you don't care if they bite or the ones that do just seem to fly off into never-never land to sleep it off... LOL  But, seriously, I guess the only thing that has done me any good is the Skin-So-Soft.  In a 50/50 blend with water, I have used it on me, my horses and even my dogs.  Like a lot of things, not everything works for everybody. 

Wendy,

I react very badly to mosquito bites so work hard to avoid them.  To get around the DEET thing, I first wear long pants and a shirt with long sleeves (I've just discovered cowboy shirts that are both light weight and have wrist and neck closures, as well as being comfortable).  Then I spray my clothes with the DEET product so I don't get much on my skin.  Of course, the best avoidance procedure is to not go to skeeter country in the first place, but, darn it, I do like to travel!  ;)

ArdraF

ArdraF,

A little trick you may want to try is to spray your clothing 10 or 15 minutes before putting it on.  The clothing will be well coated but virtually dry.  The result will be the same but the spraying will be neater and easier.  And, you are right about the cowboy shirts.  Comfort is and has been important to us for a long time.  Plus, they come in some very "fashionable" colors and styles...

Old Cowboy!

I'm already hot enough without putting on long pants and long-sleeve shirts !!! I may actually break down and put on shoes and socks instead of sandals if we go for a walk today but that's about as far as I'll go. I did find an old bottle of SkinSoSoft yesterday in a cupboard and bought some Off Skintastic powder version yesterday at WM. So far, I just sprayed it on my feet and lower legs before we walked through the grass looking for a geocache yesterday. Don't seem to have any new bites.

Either the bugs don't like the taste of Mike, or the bites don't bother him, but he's not complaining. Sam got his Frontline dose near the end of last month so he seems to be doing fine. If we don't get out of bug country pretty soon, I'll have to stop and get him another one. Sure is nice in our Rocky Mtn home not having to worry about flea treatment.

Wendy
Norfolk Lake, Arkansas

I'm with Ardra - long sleeves and long pants if I have to be outside around mosquitos. But those critters always manage to pierce the clothing. Spraying my clothes seemed the obvious thing to do, but I'd get strange looks from some folks.

Wendy,  I've stumbled onto some light weight clothing that I really like.  Flyfishermen use this stuff.  They are a bit pricey but if you buy on the off season or just at the end of the summer season it doesn't hurt as much and they last forever.  You can wear long sleeved shirts and long pants and not be much, if at all, warmer in them than short sleeves and shorts.  I'll see if I can put a link in here.  When we flyfish, usually right about dusk the mosquitos come out in full force, so we wear the longer stuff.  Also, this material dries really quickly.

pants  http://www.rei.com/product/749542

shirt    http://www.rei.com/product/731882

Hopefully the hyperlinks worked.

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha. I may have to hit the REI store in Albuquerque on the way home and see if they have any bargains. Although I try not to be out when the skeeters are.

Would they keep you dry on something like a river rafting ride  :D

Marsha/CA said:
Hopefully the hyperlinks worked.

The links worked just fine Marsha, but they don't have my size in women's pants and shirts  :(

Consider Buzz-Off clothing. It works. A bit spendy, but what's the value of a mosquito bite?

http://www.buzzoff.com/index.htm

Also, where you are and talking about walking around in tall grass, I am puzzled that you are not getting eaten alive by chiggers. Did they go extinct, or something? They used to drive me nuts, when I was a kid, in that area. (Yes, I'm a real bonifide genuine Hill Billy. Jeb Clampet was a neighbor, til he got rich and went Hollywood! Kicked the habit of sucking on a straw all the time, a few years ago.)

Tom said:
The links worked just fine Marsha, but they don't have my size in women's pants and shirts  :(

The pants in the link only came in XS - those won't fit??  :D

Wendy

The chiggers got me on the trip out, somewhere in Tennessee. My feet and ankles itched for 3 days. Now it's just the bites from the pesky skeeters that found me in Caruthersville MO. Wonder what's going to bite me in Branson.

Wendy
Norfolk Lake, Arkansas

Wendy, there are different types of Therm O Cells.  They even have a lantern version. Yes, they have a small one you could use hiking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom