Trailer, 5th Wheel or Class C??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frogwash

HI all..  Fairly new to the forum and looking to pick some brains.  I have a 2004 Class A 31' Winnebago Voyage which is awesome as far as storage, living area, layout etc.  I am considering down-sizing a bit, maybe to a 25~27'.  But still haven't decided on what.  Class C?  Trailer?  5th Wheel?  I live in Mesquite Nevada and want something we can stay in for 3 months away from here during the blazing summer.  I would like to cut down on engines I own...  Already have a Hybrid that cannot be pulled unless on a trailer.  So...  Kicking around the idea of a trailer and a mid size pickup (hopefully something that gets ok gas mileage w/o pulling the trailer, so when we un-hook we don't have a gas guzzler).  Just wondering if a mid-size pickup would be sufficient to haul (and stop.. ha) a light trailer that size?  Right now just got rid of a small car I used to pull behind the MH.  So down to 2 engines right now.  What about small 5th wheels?  Mid size truck handle those?  I get the feeling there aren't any small 5th wheels that are mid-size truck ready.

Thanks!!  Ideas?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Frank

If you're sticking with a "mid-size pickup" gas rig you're pretty much out of the fifth wheel arena, unless you find a SMALL fifth wheel. You'd be better off looking for a bumper hitch rig for sure.

My thoughts are that downsizing will turn out to be a challenge. You like the Winnebago. In order to get any real storage you would need the 5th wheel. TT and class C's are known for not offering much in that department.

A 5th wheel with enough storage is going to require a 1 ton truck. So your MPG's will suffer.

A TT in that size will offer very little storage. It also get a little cozy/cramped depending on your mood. Remember you will have days when your stuck inside due to weather.

IMHO
I would stick with the Winnebago and pull the car you have.

Mid size pickups are not a good choice for a 25-27 foot TT and totally not good for any but the smallest fivers like Casita.  If you want that size TT get a 2500 series truck.  If you choose a fiver get a 3500 series truck.
A modern 2500 pickup with a gas motor would be a good choice for the TT size your considering.  Expect 8-10MPG towing, and maybe 16 empty.  A gas motor 3500 will actually be similar.

Since I don?t like to assume... what is a mid size pickup? Consumer reports thinks anything smaller than a 1 ton could be mid sized. Others think anything bigger than a compact.

Better to be talking specifics.

My Ram 3500 diesel gets better mpg towing a 7000 lb trailer than my old 1500 hemi got driving around town empty. I looked today and diesel fuel was only $0.05 more than regular.

For a 5er it is all about what your truck can carry not what it can pull.  My 2500 08 Diesel Chevy will easily carry a 10K loaded 5er (30+ft) and pull it and a 18ft boat in a double tow at 75 mph.  Mileage is very wind dependent but I average around 10 mpg towing on the interstate and empty I get 16 around town, with 19 on the highway.

My gas Chevy van with a tow package can pull a 6K trailer with no problems, although I try to keep the load down to less than 5K. It gets about the same mileage as the truck, but it does not deal with hills and higher elevations as well. It also handles best at 55 instead of 75.

I prefer a TT after 15 years of pulling a 5er. The lower profile towing is the primary reason, but it just seems easier all around to use, at least that is our feeling.

Years ago we had a Class C and really enjoyed it for traveling. It was good for trips and stays for a few days at a relatives or on the beach.  It was never what we thought of as comfortable for long stays. it was camping out not living in.

Anyway, for me a old style cargo van and TT would be my choice.

Since I don?t like to assume... what is a mid size pickup? Consumer reports thinks anything smaller than a 1 ton could be mid sized. Others think anything bigger than a compact.
Whatever model the auto company designates as a smaller truck than their "full size" pickup.  Not necessarily less payload or wheelbase or cab size, but possibly any or all of those.  "Mid-size" is no less vague than "half ton" or 3/4 ton", both of which bear little relation to the size or payload of the truck. As you say, better to name a specific model (and configuration) than to make assumptions about it.

Why are you downsizing????

If you want to get rid of another motor, a Class C will not do that.  Any TT or FW will need a tow vehicle - which has a motor.

Almost any FW the size you want will require a 1 ton truck.  As a general average, ? ton trucks will have around 2500# Payload, some more, some less.  An average for 1 ton SRW will be around 3700#.  Some more, some less.
A smallish 12,000# GVWR  FW will have a 2400# pin wt.  Add 200# hitch, 400# of passengers and 200# on added cargo, tools and firewood, and that ? ton is WAY overloaded.

By contrast, a TT only adds 10% - 12% of its' weight to the tow vehicle.  As such, a 10,000# GVWR  TT will only have 1100# - 1200# of tongue wt.  Add a 80# WD hitch, 400# passengers and 200# cargo, and you only need a vehicle with 1880# payload.  This will include any ? ton truck and some lightly optioned ? ton trucks.

If you really want a Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma or similar, it can be done, but NONE CAN TOW A FW and you limit yourself to a much smaller TT, probably in the 6000# GVWR range.

Good luck with your search.  I understand Nevada summers.  My son lives in Vegas.

I had a feeling a "Mid Size" (Dakota, TRW, and the like) would not do the job.  Unless I get a TT.  Looking around I do see they are much different than what used to be out there.  Slides, better layouts etc.  Downsizing mainly due to the massive size of a Class A and maneuvering and if I get a TT I can get rid of 1 motor, which would be nice.  Lots to ponder?  Thanks to ALL of you you!!!!  Gotta love forums.  So far haven't made any move towards anything.  Will probably wait till next year to actually make a move.  Again Thanks..

F

In my thinking "midsize" means like a chevy colorado, dodge dakota, etc....
it used to be Toyota, Nissan, etc... had lines of trucks that were bigger than their typical old "compact" size trucks but not as big as a half ton pickup form Ford, Chevy, etc... Typically with a 6 cylinder engine..
Back in those days...I stepped up from a couple of compact trucks to a Nissan "Hardbody" style.  Bigger and more comfortable, but I found that the box was smaller, the cab was smaller, the capacity was smaller when compared with a "full size" but the MPG was equal or arguably even worse.  When I stepped up from that to my current silverado 1500 I swore I'd never make that mistake again.  The chevy is way more comfortable and much more capable...and the economy is about the same around town and a bit better on the highway than the little nissan was.  I've spoken to several other folks over the years that echo my experience.
The only advantage for the smaller one was that it was a bit easier to park....but not by much.

Now days, I think the midsize to full size line has blurred

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom