07 Tundra and Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmt

We have the truck, but little knowledge regarding capacity.  Our 5.7L Dual Cab Tundra long bed w/tow package says GVWR 7000 lbs in the door, and is tow rated at 10,500 lbs.  We would like the Jayco 28FKS (GVWR 8500) but this model has a hitch weight of 1120 lbs.  Is it a cargo balancing problem?  Can we tow this?  Should we fly instead?
Thanks for any input.
Lynn

And the payload available for the truck (GVWR - the actual weight) .... 10 to 1, the hitch weight is more than the available payload of your Tundra.

Larry

We would like the Jayco 28FKS (GVWR 8500) but this model has a hitch weight of 1120 lbs.  Is it a cargo balancing problem?  Can we tow this?  Should we fly instead?

What is that trailer?  Fifth wheel?  Travel trailer?  Toy hauler -- 5W or TT?

In 2006 the Jayco 28FKS was a travel trailer, but I can't find that model in the 2007 line-up. 

Regardless, the 8500 lb GVWR is within the Tundra's towing capacity.  The 1120 lbs of hitch weight is a lot for an 8500 lb  travel trailer and makes me wonder if it isn't a fifth wheel???  However, the Tundra's payload is in the 1800-2000 lb range, depending on cab style and bed length, so its probably OK there too. If this is a travel trailer, a weight distributing hitch is definitely needed.

Thanks for the quick responses!  The travel trailer is indeed a JayFlight 28 FKS, GVWR 8500#, with a dry hitch weight of 1120#.  I am not concerned re:eek:verall towability, but about the hitch weight.  The 2007 Tundra Long Bed Dualcab 5.7L load capacity seems to be about 1850# according to online sources.  It may be possible to lighten the weight by loading the rear of the trailer.  The thru-storage is in the rear.  Any recommendations re: equalizer hitch?
Thanks again for your help!

Lynn

palmt said:
Thanks for the quick responses!  The travel trailer is indeed a JayFlight 28 FKS, GVWR 8500#, with a dry hitch weight of 1120#.  I am not concerned re:eek:verall towability, but about the hitch weight.  The 2007 Tundra Long Bed Dualcab 5.7L load capacity seems to be about 1850# according to online sources.  It may be possible to lighten the weight by loading the rear of the trailer.  The thru-storage is in the rear.  Thanks again for your help!

Do not "load" the rear of the trailer.  Your hitch weight is just fine.  It is 15% of your trailers dry weight.  We have folks here that are suffering the tortures of the damned because their tongue weight is too low.  Distribute your load so that the ratio is preserved.

Any recommendations re: equalizer hitch?
Since you have a good hitch weight use one of the big three anti-sway weight distrubiting systems:  Reese Dual Cam,  Equal-I-Zer, or Hensley Arrow.  You want at least Class IV system with spring bars with at least a 1200 -1400 lb rating.  May I also suggest a good beefy power hitch jack.  It is a marvellous aid in hitching and unhitching.   

Our Jayco has a high hitch weight 960#.  We tow it with our 07 Tundra Crewmax.  I have a weight distributing hitch - I wouldn't  consider towing without it.  We've had no problems.  Our Jayco is a 31bhs.  It has the maxistorage room in the back - the bunks fold out of the way.  The manual says you can put 600lbs in the back.  I never do, but I'm guessing they balanced the trailer based on that and thus the high hitch weight. 
I do have to say, the Tundra has proven to be a great tow vehicle - we are really enjoying it.  The Tundra solutions website has some good info for installing a brake controller.  We use the Tekonsha P3.  Good luck.

Our Jayco has a high hitch weight 960#.

That's not high at all. That's the dry hitch weight and corresponds to a dry weight of 6830 lbs for a 31bhs (I'm using 2007 numbers for reference).  15% of 6830 = 1025 lbs, so 960 lbs is pretty close at 14%.

If your trailer was ever loaded to its 9000 lb GVWR you would want a hitch weight of 1340 lbs for safe towing. You would not want to load everything in the back, behind the axles, because that could actually reduce the tongue weight rather than increase it. Spread your load out and keep the present balance percentage wise (15/85), but allow the actual tongue weight to increase in proportion to the total trailer weight.

I guess you are right.  Our last trailer was a pop-up, so 960 still sounds like a lot.  In any case, the Jayco tows well on the Tundra.

Go to http://www.tundrasolutions.com

The answer is NO. Check the towing board.

Let's not forget the Tundra has a very S O F T suspension and an inadequate frame.
You are no better off than we are with our Tundra 2002 Lexus 4.7.

We are having a dickens of a time finding a travel trailer under GVWR of 5,500 which is all a Tundra no matter the engine should tow.
Ignore your vehicle tow rating. Very deceptive.

If anyone can spot a TT with a sofa, island bed, dinette purely optional under or equal to 5,500 please let us know.

Good idea on the Kodiak Ed, however we want all hard sides. Just sold our Coleman Sante Fe and want a full-blown travel trailer.

It is very hard to find any TT not more than 5,500 GVWR without it looking flimsy. In all actuality a Tundra is a "light" 1/2 ton and can't pull any better than some SUVs.

Makes no sense to get a diesel at this time. The Tundra is all but new at 30K for a 2002 Access Cab. Maybe when we retire we can upgrade. Not now.

Did find these::

21 CCFBR

http://www.travel-mor.com/Sales/Cikira/TravelMorSALESCikiraClassicCruiser21CC.htm

Jay Feather Sport Lite 165

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/floorplans.php?id=136

Go to http://www.tundrasolutions.com

The answer is NO. Check the towing board.

I checked the referenced site but saw nothing that suggested the ratings on an 07 Tundra were deceptive. Or that the frame was inadequate. Maybe I missed something? Or perhaps bugbite is referring to pre-2007 models?

The most informative Tundra Towing Thread seemed generally positive and basically warns that the payload is likely to limit you to less  than the the max tow rating. That's pretty common situation on single rear wheel trucks, especially half tons.

bugbite said:
Good idea on the Kodiak Ed, however we want all hard sides. Just sold our Coleman Sante Fe and want a full-blown travel trailer.

Ah, sorry bugbite.  If you click on the "Travel Trailers" link, then go into the floorplanns, you will see many "full-blown" TT's.  The GVWR on all of the bigger ones is 6000lbs, but they are pretty lightweight.  I did notice their specs don't match up with their floor plans though exactly.  They must have some new floorplans with last years specs still, so it may actually require a phone call to get the correct specs.

Go thru the Tundra Solutions Board and read especially the comments by the towing moderator. The new 5.7s have some problems and certainly can't pull anymore than the 4.7s. Just because an engine can go faster doesn't make it better to pull. Write ups on Tundra Solutions find the 5.7 of minimal advantage.

5500 is about it for GVWR. Tongue wt. and wheelbase ratio always a concern. 22 ft. about it for a very easy tow that can take us thru the mountains and curves of our area.

Just because someone can tow a trailer doesn't mean they should tow an extra long and heavy trailer for their vehicle. Transmissions are expensive afterall.

Unfortunately how wonderful the Tundras are characteristics (soft, silky, quiet ride like a luxury sedan) are also what makes them a very inadequate tow vehicle.

We are hunting the world over for an ultralight that isn't too cheesy. There are a few. The latest one of interest is the 19 ft. Bambi Airstream.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your GVWR, but my owner's manual says different, as does this:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/tundra/specs_dcab.html
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/tundra/specs_crewmax.html

The GVWR figures of the manufacturers are indeed rosey. I have had some engineers go over the fine points of weights. It is deceptive as all get out what one can easily and safely tow along w/ hitch weight and wheelbase generally ignored. If anyone would like I would be glad to send you a very long breakdown on how to figure reality vs. fantasy. PM me and I will do a cut and paste of this exercise.

Back
Top Bottom