rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How Thick is my Roof Plywood?  (Read 387 times)

Heli_av8tor

• ---
How Thick is my Roof Plywood?
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:05:50 PM »
Iíll be using jack nuts to attach my solaRVector.net panel tilt frames to my 2004 Pace Arrow 37C.

Anyone know the thickness of the roof plywood? I need to order the correc grip range jack nuts.

Thanks, Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: How Thick is my Roof Plywood?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:35:44 AM »
Probably 1/4" luan plywood.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SLOweather

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »
Pull off the roof fridge vent, or maybe a waste tank vent, and look at the cutout.
2014 Itasca Sunstar 31KE
1988 Itasca Suncruiser 31RQ
1968 Travco 201

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 09:52:26 AM »
Often using a good adhesive along with the screws is good peace of mind. I read where some folks use no screws at all and just use adhesive to hold the panels on.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 10:03:16 AM »
Often using a good adhesive along with the screws is good peace of mind. I read where some folks use no screws at all and just use adhesive to hold the panels on.

I was wondering about this...

With a rubber roof membrane. The adhesive would be sticking to the membrane. Is this a problem?
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
Not generally as long as the rubber roof is in good condition and is glued down well. If there roof bubbles in the membrane, using adhesive in conjunction with screws is advisable.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
I was wondering about this...

With a rubber roof membrane. The adhesive would be sticking to the membrane. Is this a problem?

For fiberglass or aluminum roofs VHB (Very High Bond) tape is a good and secure method of securing solar panels to the roof.  Your concern for using this product on a rubber roof is spot on.  For rubber roofs panels and other accessories need to be secured via screws.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

House Husband

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
Tom,

I used 3/4" jack nuts on my EPDM roof.
If you install the jack nuts like the instructions that came with the tilt frames, removing the tilt frames will be difficult.
I drilled screw size holes in my tilt frames and used those holes as templates to locate the jack nuts in the roof and then installed the tilt frames on top of the jack nuts.
I then added a dab of Dicor to the top of the jack nuts before dropping the lift in place. Your mileage may very. GRIN
I was really impressed with Keven's lifts, when I viewed them at Q. Very clever design, with the locks when lowered.
My first install was a 140 watt panel weighing 35# and 34" wide. Yes I know I exceeded Keven's warranty limits.
The linear actuator handled the load @ 2.5 amps and the frame didn't flex.
My next in install is a 235 Watt panel 42" wide. The linear actuator handles the load @ 3.75 amps but the frame flexed. I'm in the process of making mods to the frame.
Don't laugh at my welds. It's been 27 years since I fired up a TIG welder.
Also, you might want to add temporary wiring to the tilter and have a jump start battery handy. You don't want to get yourself in to a position where you can't get to the wire terminals.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:53:29 PM by House Husband »

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
Dropping the inside trim on a crank-up vent should let you see the roof luan plywood thickness. As Gary said, 1/4" is typical...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

blw2

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 03:08:22 PM »
not the same manufacturer..but as a data point. According to the Bill of Materials on the roof drawing I have from Thor, mine is 2.7mm luan, with some sort of 28Ga sheet metal plates reinforcing areas such as the antenna, location for an optional sat dish, etc..  They call it EGS...can't figure out what EGS means, they will only tell me it's sheet metal.  I figure it might be expended mesh.???
When I can get back on my sat dish project that I'm getting started on, I intend to locate the brackets over the tubular aluminum frame.. at least one screw in each bracket.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
í13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

jubileee

• ---
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 03:36:06 PM »
EGS = Electrogalvanized steel

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.

Wow. 2.7mm (0.106") isn't even 1/8". Seems awful thin. I need to get to the storage area and try checking by a vent.

I'm asking because the Jack Nuts I bought show a length of 0.71".  The picture shows one installed in a piece of plywood 0.144" (~9/64") thick. The nut looks to be the perfect size for this thickness. I think if the roof turns out to be 1/4" then I'll have to order longer nuts.

I'll bring lift power cable through the roof into a junction box. I'll have access there to apply emergency power to raise the panels. However, I think it much more likely to have an actuator fail rather than the wire going to the connection block on the frame. In either case simply removing the nut on the threaded rod will allow the panel to be raised manually.

I'll be using the remote fob for raising and lowering the panels. Will also wire the included DPDT Center OFF switch so that the Position 1 supplies power to the remote receiver. Center Off will disarm the system for travel. And Position 2 will supply power directly to the panels to lower them. That way failure of the remote won't leave me stranded with panels raised.

Yes, the manual shows a quick and dirty way to use jack nuts to secure the panels to the roof. The poor soul trying to remove them will learn a whole new vocabulary.

Good as VHB tape is, I'd never rely on it alone to secure my panels. The rubber membrane to plywood glue joint would likely be the weak link. They say the tape is good enough on fiberglass roofs. Why chance it?

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

blw2

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
yes, 2.7 mm is very thin indeed.  The roof is sturdy to walk on though...no real perceptible give in it..
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
í13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 11:52:11 PM »
my coach has 1/2" real plywood, cant imagine 1/4" luan or even less for the roof
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' project