Itasca Sunstar 35 F Battery Issuea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDC123

I have a situation that is very strange. It appears my chassis battery is running all the things my coach batteries should. The only exception is my awning. Has this ever happened to anyone? Not long ago (within a year) I changed the battery relay switches as well as the solenoid because the switches were not disconnecting the batteries when it came time to store my rig. When I changed these out I replaced a wire for wire so I know it is wired correctly. Any positive replies would be greatly appreciated.

Please tell us more.  How did you determine that things are using the chassis battery instead of coach?  Do the house (coach) batteries also run those things? Can you disconnect the ground (negative) wire from the chassis battery and things still work? 

There are at least two relays involved, one for battery disconnect and another for Aux (Emergency) Start. Replacing the disconnect solenoid and associated switch shouldn't alter anything even if done wrong (engine wouldn't crank, though). However, messing up the Aux Start relay could mistakenly tie the chassis and coach systems together.

Did this issue begin when you changed the solenoid(s) and switches?  If so, I'm afraid your "wire for wire" wasn't perfect OR the switches and solenoids used were not the right type.  If not, then we can look elsewhere for the cause.

Welcome to the RVForum.

It's been my experience that when I work on something, and a problem arises, it's usually because I inadvertently did something that caused the problem. Undoing what I did, or double checking my work, usually identifies the problem.

I'm also wondering if this problem is new, if you've had it for awhile or if it's something else altogether, because it's rather unusual. An easy way to check would be to disconnect a battery cable from your house batteries, disconnect from shore power, and see if your house lights work. If they do, your house and chassis batteries are indeed interconnected (somehow.)

If they are interconnected, I'd look at the battery boost switch and relay to see if they're working properly.

Kev

I am new at this forum so I am not sure if I am replaying to Kevin or Gary or both. The problem started after the changing of the parts. I only changed out those parts because I had to disconnect my batteries manually instead of just turning off the switch. With the shore power disconnected and the house batteries disconnected the lights still work. The only thing that does not work from the chassis battery if my electric awning, It only works on the coach batteries once they are connected. I am assuming the Aux (emergency) start and the battery boost switch are one in the same from your posts. If so can you tell me where that may be located?

Replies aren't directed to anyone in particular - you reply to the topic as a whole and all forum participants can see and respond.

Something is wired incorrectly because the house lights should NOT work if no shore power or house battery. They must be receiving power from the chassis battery.

Yes, Aux Start is battery boost - different words for the same function and device.  I don't know where Winnebago physically placed it, but it is normally very close to the batteries.  You should be able to follow the big battery positive cable to it from either house or chassis battery - both are connected to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom