Some hidden blade fuse or circuit breaker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lance.a.simon

Hi there! My furnace was working great and then suddenly three things are not running, all in a row on one side of the Coleman Destiny pop-up -- fridge, furnace and water pump! Also the little ceiling lights on top. But the air conditioner still works and all the power plugs. I've checked all the fuses, switch ed the two main circuit breakers off & on, read through the various manuals -- I am stumped! Suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to The RV Forum, Lance!

You have two separate electrical systems in your trailer.  120 volts runs the big stuff like the air conditioner and the power plugs.

The rest of the stuff in the RV runs from the 12 volt DC system.  This is so the battery can provide power for them when you're not plugged into electricity.

The battery is charged by the converter whenever you're connected to 12 volt power.

Something is wrong in the 12 volt system.  Either a dead battery, a fuse that's blown (one of the little blade ones, not a circuit breaker) or a bad connection.

One possibility ... if you had the battery out and accidentally re-connected it backwards even for a moment, there are two fuses on the output of the converter that will blow to protect the converter.  Without the converter working you'll eventually run down the battery.

Incandescent and some LED lights will work regardless of which way the battery is hooked up.  Other stuff like the control boards in the refrigerator, water heater and furnace won't.

Those all use 12vDC power, so likely either a broken wire or a blown fuse on the power circuit for that side. However, the things you mentioned that still work are all 120v power, not 12v, so it's possible that your entire 12v system is out. 12vdc comes from either battery or a built-in converter/charger that produces 12v from the 120v (shore) power.

I so appreciate all this feedback. I am raw/new at this but scampering to learn as fast as I can.

So I charged up the battery all day today and the meter I'm using says it's fully charged now. Still nothing.

I have not taken the battery out at all, so that's not it.

"there are two fuses on the output of the converter that will blow to protect the converter.  Without the converter working you'll eventually run down the battery."
-- Not sure where to find those, I suppose it must be close or inside the battery, am gonna look.

There's one little 7.5 amp blade fuse that looks maybe a little dicey, by the water pump. I'll see if I can mess around with that.

UGH I wish I knew a little more about electrical work!!

You might want to start by putting your RV information in your signature so we know what we are dealing with. The next thing to try is to make sure the battery terminals are clean.

The fuses referenced in the quote won't be found near your battery, more likely they're in your breaker panel/fusebox.

Picture attached.

Attachments

• open fusebox r.jpg
    open fusebox r.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 10
Done! One thing I just thought of -- my battery is a 24V marine/RV battery and the charger I'm using is a 12V battery charger... so maybe I'm not giving the battery the juice it truly needs & deserves.

Sound promising?

Under normal conditions won't this power supply automatically keep my 24V RV battery charged up?

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_203629518.jpg
    IMG_20190514_203629518.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 12
Someone with more knowledge about your particular unit will chime in here soon.  This unit will, under normal circumstances, keep a 12v battery charged.  I suspect fuses in the unit have failed. 

lance.a.simon said:
Done! One thing I just thought of -- my battery is a 24V marine/RV battery and the charger I'm using is a 12V battery charger... so maybe I'm not giving the battery the juice it truly needs & deserves.

Sound promising?

Why do you have a 24 volt battery?  12 volts is the standard RV voltage. If your battery is indeed 24 volts, that's your problem and if you installed it fully charged it likely blew out every light bulb and circuit board in your trailer!

How many fill holes does the battery have?  Each fills a 2 volt cell, so 3 cells = 6 volts, 6 cells = 12 volts, etc.

I?m thinking two things.

1.  You don?t have a 24v battery.
    If someone put one in it probably burned out those things.

2.  Open up your 12v fuse panel and look for a disconnected or loose white wire.  Check all the other connections while you?re at it as well.

The air conditioner works because it is not 12v.  It runs on 120Volts AC.

I would like to see a picture of the 24 volt battery.

I'm guessing you have a 12 volt Group 24 battery.

You all are absolutely right -- my bad again. It's an Interstate SRM-24 Marine/RV 12V battery (attached). (Got thrown off by the "24" in the model number!)

"Open up your 12v fuse panel and look for a disconnected or loose white wire.  Check all the other connections while you’re at it as well."

I have a Magnatek 6720 power converter with two circuit breakers and 5 fuses (attached). I pulled out each fuse and checked, they look fine. I flipped the circuit breakers.

The mystery continues... I'm gonna call Chesaco RV today and see if maybe they can take a look. I'm stumped. Everything was working fine and then -- kaput.

I'll post whatever I find out. If y'all have any more advice it is welcomed!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Attachments

• IMG_20190515_062557975.jpg
    IMG_20190515_062557975.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
Never heard of a GROUP 24 battery..

What converter do you have. (it may be part of your power panel) if it's a stand alone it has fuses and they can blow.

John From Detroit said:
Never heard of a GROUP 24 battery..
Group 24 is one of the more common battery sizes. Typically about 75 amp hour.

Magnatek 6720 power converter.

My next stop is the tire/battery repair shop this afternoon, I'm gonna bring the battery over there and get a professional test done to see where it's at.

THANKS!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom