F150 owners who move to F250. How's the ride and towing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

All50States

I'm looking for used truck in the 2014-2017 range. I'm basically down to getting A F150 3.5EB XLT or a F250 Platinum or King Ranch.

Those of you who used to have an F150 (or similiar 1500 truck) and then moved up to a F250, how you you describe the overall experience?  Both in terms of towing and as your regular daily driver.

For towing, I know the F250 wins hands down.  I'm leaning toward the bigger is better (and safer). I can get a F150 to work, but I don't like the thought of being close 200-300 pounds away from max payload.

I'll be towing 6500 lbs and currently have payload requirements of around 1500 lbs (CAT scale weights).

Thanks!

Everyone will probably suggest the larger truck.  You may want to upgrade in the future.

I can?t speak to the choice of a Ford.  Lol

All50States said:
I'm looking for used truck in the 2014-2017 range. I'm basically down to getting A F150 3.5EB XLT or a F250 Platinum or King Ranch.

Those of you who used to have an F150 (or similiar 1500 truck) and then moved up to a F250, how you you describe the overall experience?  Both in terms of towing and as your regular daily driver.

For towing, I know the F250 wins hands down.  I'm leaning toward the bigger is better (and safer). I can get a F150 to work, but I don't like the thought of being close 200-300 pounds away from max payload.

I'll be towing 6500 lbs and currently have payload requirements of around 1500 lbs (CAT scale weights).

Thanks!

Personally, I'd just do the f250 and be done. Sure the ride is a bit more stiff, but certainly not unbearable. The trade off for a stiff ride unloaded, is well worth the safety and capacity when loaded IMO. Drove my f250 from ohio to Tennessee within a week of purchasing it, without the TT, and it was fine. Driver, passenger, a cooler, tables an easy up and 8 rc trail trucks. Maybe 200lb worth of stuff?  Honestly, I almost prefer the ride of the f250 over my silverado 1500 because it doesn't feel like its wallowing around, It feels planted.

The ride when towing is fine.  When not loaded it's still decent on good roads.  Bad roads can be a bit punishing. 

Some people complain about every bump no matter what, so it's largely an individual thing.

Never substitute safety for comfort.

Gods Country said:
The ride when towing is fine.  When not loaded it's still decent on good roads.  Bad roads can be a bit punishing. 

X2. F150 definitely rides better on softer springs. Generally my F250 is a nice driving rig even unloaded, and towing it rides better over rough roads than my motorhome with air suspension did.

Wheel base makes as much if not more difference that the 2500 f250 monica, my 3500 f350 dually is a great ride .
Why? Its got a long wheel base which makes it a ton smoother than that of a short wheel base
Its also a 2017 - the improvements on suspension in the last 10 years is amazing my 08 chev dually rode like a lumber wagon as compared to this truck and my 2010 1/2 extra short 5.8 box was a bucking bronco.
The newer the truck and longer the wheelbase the smoother the ride

I too moved from a '10 f150 Lariat short bed 5.4L gasser to a '17 f250 Lariat 6.7L diesel short bed although longer by a foot than the 150. The 150 labored on long steep hills and the diesel barely knows the trailer is back there. My TT is 36' and GVWR is 9,600lbs. As others have stated the more bells and whistles the less CCC. My yellow sticker gives me 2405lbs and other than the smallest 5'ers I am out of luck. A typical 10,000lb 5'er and you will be at 2,000-2,500lb hitch weight.
Getting back to the original ride question, yes the ride is stiffer but I find it bearable and also I had upgraded the 150 tires to LT's which caused a stiffer ride.
Joe

I haven't upgraded, but given the opportunity, I would....
I pull my RV to shows at least once a month all Show Season from early March to late November...

I would rather a smoother RV rig and not worry about the daily drive stuff.
(Just my 2cents)

Also, I was driving a 2000 Astro Van pulling a 18ft 1984 single axil RV.... I tried a lot of things to help the comfort in driving with the full rig... hands down will always recommend the larger tow vehicle!!!! .... I had some scary moments on the hwy because the tow vehicle wasn't really enough for the trailer.

Note to other readers:

The OP have done their homework.  Note the question is LIGHTLY OPTIONED  F150 XLT  or a VERY NICELY OPTIONED F250 Platinum.

The reason is PAYLOAD.  With their  payload requirements, which include 10% of TT GVWR, a WD hitch, all passengers and cargo and totals about 1500# (if I remember correctly),  a F150 with Lariat trim will NOT have sufficient Payload for their needs.  A F250 Platinum will have plenty of payload for their needs.

More options, less payload.

Back
Top Bottom