TT flipped at campsite in Florida roday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hfx_Cdn

Polk County is near Tampa and here are some pictures and a story about a TT that was toppled by heavy winds today.  Be careful when strong storms are forecast.

Ed

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/6-people-rescued-from-overturned-rv-after-storm-in-polk-county/2001884797

Wonder why they were "trapped" and didn't use the emergency exit(s) ???

That is bizarre. I live about 30 miles from there and the wind never blew here today. Less than 10 mph. I bet the vast majority of RV owners have no clue about the emergency exit.

Back2PA said:
Wonder why they were "trapped" and didn't use the emergency exit(s) ???
I suspect the emergencies exits are only on the side on the ground.

Lowell said:
I suspect the emergencies exits are only on the side on the ground.

Now that I look at it there are two normal exit doors on the "up" side. Who knows, maybe they jammed. Interesting point though, hopefully it's a requirement to have exits on two different sides - my current and previous RVs do, but don't know if that's the normal thing.

I wouldn't have tried to exit that trailer unless it was on fire. I'd be more than willing to sit and wait for the cavalry to arrive and stabilize it.

Just up the street from us. The storm was terrible. Took down part of our neighbor's big fence. Never realized it could overturn an RV though.

Rene T said:
That's close to home for me ED but allot closer for Tom S.
Yep, only 30 miles from me. I think I am going to deploy my stabilizer jacks soon. This is an extremely heavy 5er but there could be hurricane force winds in my area.

Speaking of strong winds. Yesterday I watched a pretty amazing video called Tracking The Hurricanes 2017, Harvey, Irma, Nate, and Maria. Very good video. Very long and not exactly professional but pretty amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTZN3RC/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_movie-20&ref_=asc_homepage

I have hurricane tie downs on mine. Three on each side.
They are long eye bolts embedded in four foot deep holes filled with concrete. then there is a eyebolt on the frame where a loop of cable is secured to each eyebolt.
I figure if a hurricane comes through, the trailer might get blown away, but the frame will still be there!

When Hurricane Irma came through, they worked fine for the wind, but the five foot ocean surge totaled the trailer

Jack L

I recall hearing about one that flipped pulling out of a campground (About 5 MPH tops) back in 2006/7 but  it looks like this one was PARKED.. On a site, Not moving.. WOW.

This is my daughter's worst nightmare, I always insist that could never happen. And I'm going to stick to my story!

Back
Top Bottom