Victron BMV-712 Not Working & Dry Camping Next Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

All50States

I have a 2 6V battery system.  I connected the temperature sensor wire to the open positive of the battery to B1 and B2 of the shunt (red wire in B1 and black wire of the sensor to B2). The positive terminal also has the red wire for the camper connected.  I connected the open negative battery terminal to the shunt (the terminals where the batteries are connected together to make 12V are not used).  I tried to get Bluetooth working but no luck. I get 'No Device Found'.  Then I connected the actual round display unit (the part that is installed in the camper with the wire supplied) and the display did not power up.  It doesn't look like I'm getting power to the shunt.  I do have power to the camper. 

Any thoughts on how to get this working? 

Thanks!

All50States said:
I have a 2 6V battery system.  I connected the temperature sensor wire to the open positive of the battery to B1 and B2 of the shunt (red wire in B1 and black wire of the sensor to B2). The positive terminal also has the red wire for the camper connected.  I connected the open negative battery terminal to the shunt (the terminals where the batteries are connected together to make 12V are not used).  I tried to get Bluetooth working but no luck. I get 'No Device Found'.  Then I connected the actual round display unit (the part that is installed in the camper with the wire supplied) and the display did not power up.  It doesn't look like I'm getting power to the shunt.  I do have power to the camper. 

Any thoughts on how to get this working? 

Thanks!

did you check the inline fuse is installed and good ?

I checked that the fuse was in there. I have a multi-meter that I just got. How would I check to see if the fuse was good?

With the fuse in place do you have good battery voltage with the negative probe grounded (Negative terminal/lead) and positive probe touching both (one at a time) of the two windows in the "Top" of the fuse.

With the fuse in your hand use the resistance scale (Should be zero ohms same as if you touch the two meter leads together).

NOTE make sure the Victron ground lead.. IS in fact grounded as well.

I also have a BMV-712.  During our first season using it, the display went dead as well.  Power was present, everything was connected properly, it just died.  They had me return it and sent a new one.  No issues whatsoever since then.

Contact the US sales manager if needed.  They want you to get the replacement from the retailer from whom you purchased it, but Victron's US sales manager was helpful with troubleshooting and so forth.

https://www.victronenergy.com/contact

I have only installed a few Vitrons.  There was a trouble shooting guide in the instructions and it lead me right to the issue one time. 
The other time I ended up calling them for help and together we found it.
Good Luck
Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom