rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Victron BMV-712 Not Working & Dry Camping Next Weekend  (Read 534 times)

All50States

• ---
Victron BMV-712 Not Working & Dry Camping Next Weekend
« on: May 15, 2019, 05:48:37 AM »
I have a 2 6V battery system.  I connected the temperature sensor wire to the open positive of the battery to B1 and B2 of the shunt (red wire in B1 and black wire of the sensor to B2). The positive terminal also has the red wire for the camper connected.  I connected the open negative battery terminal to the shunt (the terminals where the batteries are connected together to make 12V are not used).  I tried to get Bluetooth working but no luck. I get 'No Device Found'.  Then I connected the actual round display unit (the part that is installed in the camper with the wire supplied) and the display did not power up.  It doesn't look like I'm getting power to the shunt.  I do have power to the camper. 

Any thoughts on how to get this working? 

Thanks!

solarman

• ---
Re: Victron BMV-712 Not Working & Dry Camping Next Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 06:45:40 AM »
I have a 2 6V battery system.  I connected the temperature sensor wire to the open positive of the battery to B1 and B2 of the shunt (red wire in B1 and black wire of the sensor to B2). The positive terminal also has the red wire for the camper connected.  I connected the open negative battery terminal to the shunt (the terminals where the batteries are connected together to make 12V are not used).  I tried to get Bluetooth working but no luck. I get 'No Device Found'.  Then I connected the actual round display unit (the part that is installed in the camper with the wire supplied) and the display did not power up.  It doesn't look like I'm getting power to the shunt.  I do have power to the camper. 

Any thoughts on how to get this working? 

Thanks!

did you check the inline fuse is installed and good ?

KZ MXT20 480 W solar
ORV 24RKS 960 Watts solar
48V LFP, 2000W inverter/charger
Ram 2500 CTD

All50States

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
I checked that the fuse was in there. I have a multi-meter that I just got. How would I check to see if the fuse was good?

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »
With the fuse in place do you have good battery voltage with the negative probe grounded (Negative terminal/lead) and positive probe touching both (one at a time) of the two windows in the "Top" of the fuse.

With the fuse in your hand use the resistance scale (Should be zero ohms same as if you touch the two meter leads together).

NOTE make sure the Victron ground lead.. IS in fact grounded as well.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
I also have a BMV-712.  During our first season using it, the display went dead as well.  Power was present, everything was connected properly, it just died.  They had me return it and sent a new one.  No issues whatsoever since then.

Contact the US sales manager if needed.  They want you to get the replacement from the retailer from whom you purchased it, but Victron's US sales manager was helpful with troubleshooting and so forth.

https://www.victronenergy.com/contact
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

Matt_C

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:54:06 PM »
I have only installed a few Vitrons.  There was a trouble shooting guide in the instructions and it lead me right to the issue one time. 
The other time I ended up calling them for help and together we found it.
Good Luck
Matt
A lifelong waterman with a trophy wife and a pair of mutts going places we cannot get by boat.