looking for new motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soozcna

WE are in search of our 3rd motor home. Looking at brands Thor and Forest River. We currently have a Coachman 32'  Our wants: king bed, outdoor kitchen and the pull down bed to hold 350 pounds. So far THor has everything we want but recently looked at FR 32' has all but outdoor kitchen. Also, we were looking at used to keep cost down, but may be getting a good deal on new 2020 from FR dealer. So many things to consider. I would like opinions on purchasing a new RV and what to look for. Also, if you have an outdoor kitchen do you regret it or do you use it. THanks!

I would never buy a new RV. Too many problems for the dealer to work out. I prefer to buy used and have a mobile mechanic come to me. I had an outdoor kitchen in my 2006 Providence DP and hated it.

We've purchased a couple of RVs new, one of which spent a lot of the first 6 months in the shop, the other of which has had little shop time. We bought used, too, and it had more problems than either of the new ones. All I can say is to get used rigs well inspected prior to purchase.

As to outdoor kitchen, I'd probably never use it, but some folks like them very well, so that is strictly personal preference -- no one else's view will help you much on that, unless they have specific experiences to relate.

I'm with Tom on the whole "new RV" thing. We could afford to buy new, but we always sought out a coach that was no more than two years old. For us, letting the original owner deal with all the new-RV issues (and there were many) always turned out to be a good decision. We saved a lot in that first year's depreciation too.

We mostly boondock, so I grill outside a lot. To me, an outdoor kitchen would fall under the "nice to have" category, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Our outside cooking area is set up well for our needs. One of the nice things about RVing is, there are a lot of RV options, and we can choose the ones that best suit our desires. Good luck with your decisions.

Kev

also not the direct experience perspective you're looking for...
but the outdoor kitchen was something I had on my strong want list (almost a must have) when I was shopping to upgrade from the popup.  On one of the last trips in that old popup I ended up in a camp spot that was out of level.  Had to extend the rear stabilizers all the way down, and I think i had blocking under them too.  I realized that a "fixed" height stove/counter in that outdoor kitchen is really subject to ground level relative to the leveled RV....and could, if like the spot I was in that time, be completely unusable...inaccessible without a ladder!

The other thing I noticed was the outdoor kitchen ate up volume that would otherwise be usable inside space or outside storage.

So I took the kitchen off the list, thinking I'd probably rather have a portable tabletop grille or to use my "coleman" stove...and have a lot more flexibility that way.

I have never once regretted that choice.

Depreciation is high on an RV, but so is the markup!  If you really want new, you should be able to negotiate a fair price and have a similar advantage to used if you consider you have the current year so yes, it will be a bit higher.  However, as others say, you have to suffer through the warranty issues that the used unit has already been through.

I know the outdoor kitchens have become a big ticket item for new buyers and that's OK.  The downside that I have seen, especially on trailers and 5th wheels where they are located in the back corner or rear, is only about half the campsites can accommodate them.  For those that don't, You're in a tree, you can't reach the kitchen or it's just not in a practical place to try and use it.

Another voice recommending to think hard about an outdoor kitchen. I cook outside quite a bit, and campsites vary tremendously on where the best location for a kitchen would be. Level? Shady? Obstructions? I want to be able to position food prep where it is handy for me, not just where the manufacturer decided I should be.

As for new or used, we have bought rigs both ways. Last two (trailer and motorhome) were new. Got 30% off MSRP on the trailer, 29% off on the motorhome. The problem with relatively new used units is so many people buy them at close to MSRP so they are asking for more than I could get a brand new rig for. We had one significant issue (step cover) and a few minor ones, but nothing I would complain about. Fairly easy fixes. I would recommend you look at used high quality coaches that would be the same price as your new FR, just to compare.

I was thinking about the whole idea of letting someone else take it through all the warranty issues...
One side of that though, is that some of those issue may not have been fixed to your standards...or even appropriately or safely... and just not being aware of that unsafe repair could in theory jump out an bite a person

but to qualify the comment....I'm a used kinda guy for the most part.....my wife has had a new car... but I have never owned a brand new car, or a brand new boat, or a brand new house....
The only brand new big ticket item that I can think of is my RV....and that was only because when we found the used MH we liked, i was researching to make sure I was getting an ok deal...and in the process found a "last years" model (actually two years previous model) brand new on a dealer's lot for about the same money.  I was on the fence wondering if having a warranty might outweigh having had the bugs worked out, etc...  Ended up going new to get the "leather" DW wanted.... that and color were teh only real difference between the two rigs....and now with that "leather" failing I have serious remorse about that move!.....  the wins from going new are relatively minor for the most part...but it was nice getting a bed no kids have peed on... a tank system no full of someone else's poo pyramid...a sofa with no hair from someone else's stinky dog.... etc...

Back
Top Bottom